It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HID in fog lights?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:23 pm 
LOST Member

i remember seeing a post awhile back about retrofitting hids into the fog lights, I tryed to use search but nothing comes up. does anyone know what hid bulb fits into the fog light? I already know that im getting m from DDM and their going to be the 55watt slim ballest ones if that helps any.

Post subject: Re: HID in fog lights?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:46 am 
LOST Member

H3 hid kit will plug in play in to an 07 but check what bulbs your liberty uses the buy a kit for those bulbs.
they should all be 55watts. i installed 6000k (white) and the slim ballast are cool there is a brand called vme on ebay super cheap and i have had mine over a year no problems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:06 pm 
LOST Member

The fog lights are 9145 but you can put a 9005 in it with a little bit of modification to the light. I have 6000k in my headlights and love them, but I would go with 5000k if I did it again. 55w is not needed in the fog, 35 will be just fine.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:19 am 
LOST Newbie

iMTB wrote:
The fog lights are 9145 but you can put a 9005 in it with a little bit of modification to the light. I have 6000k in my headlights and love them, but I would go with 5000k if I did it again. 55w is not needed in the fog, 35 will be just fine.

Do HID bulbs produce an even illumination pattern in the stock headlight & fog light housings? I have heard stories of HIDs in other vehicles producing all manner of stray shards of light, bright spots & dark spots when used without projector housings. My Liberty is a 2006, so if anyone can shed some light (pun not really intended) on HID performance in 2006 housings, I would appreciate it.

Also, iMTB, why would you use 5000K rather than 6000K if you made the switch again? What do you or don't you like about either one?

Cheers,
Eric

2006 Inferno Red CRD, 267,000 km and counting. Mods: GDE Eco Tune, GDE Towing Tune, red Mishimoto boost hoses, G2 rear diff cover, home-brew ProVent, Hemi T/C, updated front pump, AFE deep 68RFE trans pan, curved LED light bar. More to come as time and finances allow...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:26 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Yes throwing HIDs in a regular housing causes the light pattern to go everywhere and blinding everyone.
If you are going to do it, go with the whole kit and do it right.
Common sense should tell you that even looking at the housings there is a huge difference

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Eric wrote:
iMTB wrote:

Do HID bulbs produce an even illumination pattern in the stock headlight & fog light housings? I have heard stories of HIDs in other vehicles producing all manner of stray shards of light, bright spots & dark spots when used without projector housings. My Liberty is a 2006, so if anyone can shed some light (pun not really intended) on HID performance in 2006 housings, I would appreciate it.

Also, iMTB, why would you use 5000K rather than 6000K if you made the switch again? What do you or don't you like about either one?

Cheers,
Eric

All the info you seek................

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

tjkj2002 wrote:

Well, that pretty much confirmed what I had heard about HID headlights. There is a ton of useful info at that link & it should be required reading for everyone considering switching to HID lights.

Cheers,
Eric

2006 Inferno Red CRD, 267,000 km and counting. Mods: GDE Eco Tune, GDE Towing Tune, red Mishimoto boost hoses, G2 rear diff cover, home-brew ProVent, Hemi T/C, updated front pump, AFE deep 68RFE trans pan, curved LED light bar. More to come as time and finances allow...