It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: To save or not to save
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:33 am 
LOST Newbie

So heres the deal. I inherited my 05 jeep liberty after my fathers passing in 09. I have been using this jeep as my primary since 06 (for some reason my dad wanted a chevy avalanche after the recent buy of the jeep) This jeep has taken me from west coast to east coast, north to south and, multi moving expeditions. Anyway, Its a 2wd. I love this liberty and it has proven its worth time and time again, but I would also like to get into more adventuring! From your experience would it benefit more to keep modding it, or save for another liberty 4x4? I really want another KJ (sorry im just not a fan of the KK) and I wouldnt be against trading it, but tip toe'in up on 170K miles I doubt a trade would be viable. Anyway, just lookin for some opinions.

Post subject: Re: To save or not to save
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:52 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Trade in value will be low considering miles and 2 wheel drive
If it was me I would just buy a 4X4 and keep the 2 wheeler for around town, short jaunts etc
or make me a deal on it!
Always wanted a two wheel drive for the heck of it to play with ( have some ideas) :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If you don't want to sell it and I can see why you wouldn't, put a locker in the back and go from there. The locker will get you a lot further then a standard 2wd. Just a option.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:30 am 
LOST Newbie

Zack A wrote:
If you don't want to sell it and I can see why you wouldn't, put a locker in the back and go from there. The locker will get you a lot further then a standard 2wd. Just a option.

Thats a good idea, I never considered that! Ha. Yeah I'm in love with my jeep, I really do want to keep it ( Sorry Tom 8) ) It needs a few smaller upgrades too like some tow hooks. But great! thanks Zack.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:37 am 

A locker may help a little but its still a 2 wheel drive and will never be able to go where an unlocked 4 whel drive goes. Its still going to be street only basically

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:08 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

disagree w/ Tom on street duty.... Lifted w/ good tires/gears and locker will get you many places though it could also get you into trouble if you don't realize the limitations. If you feel that your idea of "adventuring" isn't rock crawling or mud bog running then you should be ok in many places. Heck, add a winch to the package and then you can get even further. (into trouble too possibly so really think about where you are going).

Anyhow, I have run many great scenic easy/moderate trails in 2wd rarely needing 4wd except in a couple spots so it can be done. Throw an adjustable coil over lift in there w/ tube bumpers and make it pre-runner style w/ a hitch style winch you can leave in back (JIC), 32's, ARB locker, 4.56 gears, ....anyhow, i'm rambling about ideas i have had for a 2wd for years. always thought it could be a fun toy especially in the desert areas out here.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:18 am 

Agree with JJ and out there in the west
tons more places to wheel out there that you don't need 4 wheel drive all of the time
east coast since we don't have the areas like deserts etc ours are more likely to need the 4 wheel drive. You can still do some forest service roads but most of them can be driven in a Yaris so.....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:22 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tommudd wrote:
Agree with JJ and out there in the west
tons more places to wheel out there that you don't need 4 wheel drive all of the time
east coast since we don't have the areas like deserts etc ours are more likely to need the 4 wheel drive. You can still do some forest service roads but most of them can be driven in a Yaris so.....

...but you can't under any circumstances look cool driving them in a yaris..... :dizzy:

oh and what were your ideas for his 2wd if you got your mitts on it there mudd?

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:33 am 

Used a Yaris since a buddy of mines new Son in law tried to "off road" in a Yaris with poor results recently :ROTFL:
Always wanted to build a 2 wheel drive pre runner type KJ thought it would be fun project. Have to admit more for the looks than anything else. :oops:

My cousin moved from Ohio to Arizona 6 years ago. Had a well built TJ that he wheeled a lot here. He said the first 6 months he was out there he never locked it in, two wheel and ARB got him everywhere that he was exploring. I think from pictures he's found places now to use 4 wheel drive but I guess what I was saying is some areas of the country you can go more places in two wheel than you can in others in 4 wheel