Refund is on it's way, should I???
yes 36%  36%  [ 8 ]
no 64%  64%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 22
 Post subject: Nitrous Oxide Baby!!!!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:29 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Anybody running Nitrous yet in their KJ? It seems to me that it would help spin the tires in the mud a lot better (clean them tires up a little).

I was think a dry shot maybe in the 50 horse range, nothing crazy. I know the ring lands were raised too high for forced induction (superchargers/turbos), but could a small shot of Nitrous work without killing the motor if I use it sparingly (I do "real" wheeling once a month). I wouldn't be racing, just a little kick to get me through the hole the way only a V8 could.

As for performance, all I have is a K&N airfilter, no chip yet, stock exhaust.

any thoughts?

255/70/R16 Fleet Farm All Terrain (yes they work)
Class 3 hitch
Hellas
Police Scanner/CB radio
LOST #: JH061986

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:43 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

How much would the kit cost Mike? I would think a possible stuck situation combined with the instant power kick of nitrous would lead to some broken hardware...at the same time I AM an American male, so saying no to nitrous is somewhat sacrilegious...tough call.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:58 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

i wouldn't use it if i was stuck, I'd only use it to power through a mud hole while already moving forward to help spin the tires...a kit like that would be in the $500 neighborhood. I can do the install myself (helped a buddy do it to his Honda CRX)...

Class 3 hitch
Hellas
Police Scanner/CB radio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well, my only concern would be any other components that may need to be upgraded before using the nitrous. Other than that, my vote is to go for it...

2003 Atlantic Blue KJ 2WD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:45 pm 
This member has been Banned

"Anybody running Nitrous yet in their KJ? It seems to me that it would help spin the tires in the mud a lot better (clean them tires up a little). "

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject: N2O
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Doesn't KYLiberty use it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:13 pm 
This member has been Banned

I'd rather Inhale it an "think" my tires are spinning faster. :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.resort.com/~banshee/Info/N2O/index.html

Oh, I long for the days of Diving too deep & staying too long....Look at the pretty bubbles :lol:

Has anyone had a HP problem Off road?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:21 pm 
LOST Addict

You can run a 50 shot on the stock 3.7. Put a set of colder plugs in it, and get a B&G flash to turn off the torque management or it won't work well. A 35 hp shot is worthless on a 2 ton vehicle. A 75 to 100 hp shot will eventually blow the 3.7, but it will put over 250 hp and 300 lbs of torque to the ground. You'll also need an rpm window switch, and should upgrade your torque convertor, and get a shift kit. The 45RFE doesn't do a 2-3 shift well on N2O. If you want to go all out with the juice, you have to direct port under each injector because the intake manifold runs the front cylinders leaner than the rear cylinders while running nitrous. You also have to build the motor to handle it. I'm trying to decide if we should build the race motor for a direct port 120 hp shot, or to swap in a built 4.7 HO with N2O.

Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:52 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

the1jferg wrote:
I'd rather Inhale it an "think" my tires are spinning faster. :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.resort.com/~banshee/Info/N2O/index.html

Oh, I long for the days of Diving too deep & staying too long....Look at the pretty bubbles :lol:

Has anyone had a HP problem Off road?

Ferg-I am 19 years old, I have a HP problem everywhere I go (so far the KJ has shut down a Ranger with the 4.0 V6, an S10 with the 4.3 V6, an F250 with 5.8 V8, a Cadillac Hearse with a 4.4 V8 )...I need more power :twisted:

Class 3 hitch
Hellas
Police Scanner/CB radio

Post subject: Ranger
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:47 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My first car was a 4.0L V6 Ranger. The KJ definately has more hp, but the Ranger was SO much lighter. I don't see How the Jeep could do it. I haven't done any pertformance mod's, so that could do the trick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

mine was stock when i did it, the ranger was your typical 4.0 liter V6 automatic, extended cab... With the larger tires I am sure it would be a little closer but I think I could still take it...

Class 3 hitch
Hellas
Police Scanner/CB radio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

I agee with KY on some points. You will have to make sure the bottom end of the engine is a little stronger. The anti-knock sensor should take care of the timing issue with juice. I would also put in a microswitch under the throttle so it wont engage unless your at 3/4 throttle or you may break something. Also, you may want to consider going with a wet instead of dry system. You wont have to upgrade your stock fuel system by changing pressure regulators, injectors, fuel pump and such.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

Are you really concerned with mudholes? Or are you trying to turn a 6 foot tall 2ton+ truck into a drag race car?
You said the nitrous system will run about $500 ?
Id think that $500 spent on mud tires will go farther through any mud than spinning AT tires on nitrous. If you want to accelerate on the street, nitrous would be fun, but its only going to get you stuck farther into a mudhole.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:37 pm 
LOST Addict

Sorry, I only skimmed your first post. You do not want to use N2O for off road. You only want nitrous to kick in above at least 2500 rpm, preferably closer to 3000 rpm. You also don't want it to kick in at less than 90% throttle. You might be able to get away with a dry 50 shot since the 3.7 runs so rich on nitrous, but a wet 50 shot with the 50 hp jet for N2O, and a 35 hp jet for the fuel will probably end up about right.

I would look at a good locker and better tires. You can upgrade your gears to 4.10's, but that is going to cost a lot more than $500. You can get your computer flashed to turn off the torque management and make the settings much more aggressive, but you're really not going to see a lot of difference.

Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

If you do get it, you will want it to run rich. Otherwise you will be replacing valves and piston shortly. When you run nos it leans out the fuel mixture. The fuel cools all the internal components of you engine. Too lean = too hot and you will start melting stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:25 pm 
LOST Addict

Gearhead's right about not wanting it to run lean. N2O has a higher oxygen content than normal air, so your engine will definately run hotter. With the default jets, when we tested a wet 50 shot, the air fuel ratio was well below 10:1. It was off the charts rich. Using the 50 for N2O, and the 35 for fuel gave us an afr somewhere around 10.8:1 (sorry, not looking at the dyno sheets right now). Also remember that the front cylinders will run leaner than the rear cylinders because the intake manifold doesn't distribute the mix well. To use nitrous you should really have the motor built for it with a direct ported system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

I think you have a smashing idea. Do it and let me know what happens. I would bet it would not be good but you never know.

A different spark plug gap would probably do you some good.

Flowmaster 40 Series
2.5 Lift
1000 watt Kenwood DB+
Electric Trailer Brake Controller
Lost KJ Rockies sticker
More to come...of course
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2342890

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:54 pm 
LOST Addict

We had the best luck with standard NGK plugs one step colder than stock, and gapped at .030. The factory plugs were gapped at .060 when we pulled them.