It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Headers?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:03 pm 
LOST Member

Anyone have any headers installed on their Liberty? I'm contemplating purchasing a set since gas has skyrocketed thinking maybe it will increase my MPG's. Does it help MPG's, any additional horsepower gains? Post pics if you have any.

Flowmaster Series 40 Delta Flow Exhaust cat-back system
K&N 63 Series Aircharger Intake Kit
Bosch Platinum Ir Fusion Spark Plugs
Hella 500FF Free-Form Fog Lamp Kit
Sony Xplod CDX-GT620IP Head Unit w/Sony Xplod Speakers

Post subject: Re: Headers?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:36 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

without getting into a bunch of discussion on the specifics of why, you won't get MPG gains from headers - especially headers alone

if you want to boost some MPGs, do a tune up, replace/repair as much of the vac hoses you can get your hands on, get an amsoil drop in airfilter, switch to some good quality synthetic 5/30 or 0/30 and give it a wax job

if you're lifted, rake the vehicle 1" lower in the front than the rear

edit:

Didn't read your Sig - sorry

the expanded answer:
for headers to benefit your setup, you'd need a B&G tune + a Fastman Throttlebody

the stock throttle body is restricted a bit and is hardly adequate for the stock setup etc etc rehash rehash

without the tune, the 3.7 isn't going to run right with the headers in a similar but worse fashion that it doesn't run right with the FM throttlebody without the tune

at the point you're at now, you aren't getting enough air down the pipe to use what you've got

some would say do a ceramic wrap, but i've never been huge on them.. mostly because I hated having to do it

bottom line.. MPG wise.. Lifted 4x4 with all driveline connected - typical AT to MT style tires etc
there's nothing you're going to do to get out of the 20-23 max range beyond putting a speed limiter on it to keep you from going over 60 mph :P

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:03 pm 
LOST Junkie

Wrapping always scared me as it also hold moisture in and can rot the exhaust quicker. The only way I can see you even scratching the surface at best of MPG improvement without going back to stock tires and suspension is to do the whole package. Thorttle bodie + BG flash + headers + new high flow cats + dynomax ultraflow muffler + better intake pipe at least. My fipk and dynomax alone didnt effect gas mileage noticeably, but did make the jeep run smoother. Now the problem with going through all those mods is the price to performance to MPG improvement isnt the best and youll definitely want to get into the throttle more with the change in driving characteristics....and sound. I know my MPG suffered after my mods as I just couldnt get enough of the new awesome sounding KJ.

Sadly with gas prices near or at $5 a gallon Im starting to think I should have gotten the patriot I was looking at over the KJ. Going to cost around $100 to fill up next time Im empty... :banghead:

Fran:2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 quadra drive. 31in General Grabber AT2, OME HD, bilstein, IRO sway links, addco rear sway. Kolak 3in cat back flowmaster SUV 50, magnaflow 3in cat, airaid JR kit, ram air, P.I.E. aux adapter, surco 45x50, husky liners.http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65276&p=719908#p719908

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:53 pm 
LOST Member

Ive got JBA's With Header wrap,Hi-flow Cat, Flowmaster super 44,K&n cai and the fastman tb. Zero increase in MPH. I agree with getting the flash, as I feel that my setup should have better results. BUT it Sounds

Last edited by Kasmir Jones on Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:53 pm 
LOST Member

Ive got JBA's With Header wrap,Hi-flow Cat, Flowmaster super 44,K&n cai and the fastman tb. Zero increase in MPH. I agree with getting the flash, as I feel that my setup should have better results. BUT it Sounds awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:14 am 
LOST Junkie

How much difference did the headers make? and did it change the sound at all? Im hoping they make a decent difference and doesnt make the jeep much louder.

I really want to do all bolt ons before I do the bg tune so I have all bases covered for maximum gains with it.

Fran:2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 quadra drive. 31in General Grabber AT2, OME HD, bilstein, IRO sway links, addco rear sway. Kolak 3in cat back flowmaster SUV 50, magnaflow 3in cat, airaid JR kit, ram air, P.I.E. aux adapter, surco 45x50, husky liners.http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65276&p=719908#p719908

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:32 pm 
LOST Member

My 03 Had 179,000 miles on it when started my Mod's. First came the Fastman TB. I felt more pep when I got on it. The headers, cat, and Flowmaster super 44 went on the same day. After putting that combo on the little 3.7 got loud, real loud. It may have lost some get up and go. I think that it might be suffering from a lack of back pressure since it only has one cat now. Any Idea's out there?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:24 am 
LOST Junkie

Shorty headers typically take low end and convert it to high rpm power. As for loud yeah the flowmaster super 44 is loud enough alone, take away a cat and its going to be very loud.

When I did my dynomax the jeep gained some get up and go. Just wish they had a long tube setup for our jeeps. That would be quite nice.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:09 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Replace those bosch spark plugs with copper core plugs,that alone is will help the greatest.Headers will not increase mpg's without other mods like stated and your OEM cats are the highest flowing cats on the market and actually work like intended,not to mention 50-state legal as almost all aftermarket cats are not(hence the high cost of OEM cats).The best way to increase low rpm torque from exhuast work is from using long tube headers of the correct diameter,but a 100% custom job for the 3.7 and lots of dyno time to find the correct diameter and if equal length or unequal length long tubs is better for the 3.7.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:02 pm 
LOST Junkie

That's one of many things I love about my kj, other then the narrow down at the muffler the exhaust system is better the a lot of aftermarket systems I've seen. I have just been curious of shorty headers and how much they effect low end as I was always a turbo or long tube kinda guy.

I highly doubt that anyone will make long tube for the 3.7 unless its put it a more commonly modified vehicle. Heck I think you can count the amount of jba header KJs on 2 hands...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:49 pm 
LOST Member

Good thing I kept the cat's. I may look into welding them back on..Funny thing is that Read TJ's post about the OEM cats, but I let the exhaust guy talk me into changing them. I think that it was alot easier for him to do since the header flanges did not match up to the stock exhaust.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:05 pm 
LOST Junkie

The thing is its an old school mentality. Most intake and exhaust systems made on modern cars 1999 and newer are as optimized as can be with only minor gains to be had. Now take my old 1996 talon changing from a stock cat to a high flow made a world of difference.