It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brakes and Rotors
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:43 pm 
LOST Member

Any suggestions for good brakes and rotors. I want to change but I want something different? Any ideas anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Have you look at EBC & Powerslot? If you have bucks to burn you choose a disc brake conversion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:21 pm 
LOST Member

I installed rotors from irotors.com They are drilled and slotted and very cost worthy. Then I got EBC green stuff break pads from perfect brakes.com All together it cost about $300 if I remember correctly. Took afew hours to install (I had some trouble with my e-brake) and they stop like a dream. I have been so happy with them.

-Frankenlift 2 Premium (OME all four corners)
-General Grabber AT2
-All J Products Rock Rails
-Hidden Hitch W/D ring
-K&N Cold Air Intake
-Airade Throttle Body Spacer
-Flowmaster Delta 50 Muffler
-Jet Performance Stage 2 Chip
-3" striaght pipe off the muffler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Any Links ???? URL whatever :roll:

other mods coming soon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:30 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

0311_DoC wrote:
Any Links ???? URL whatever :roll:

http://www.irotors.com/

http://www.perfectbrakes.com/

:)

2003 Atlantic Blue KJ 2WD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:46 pm 
LOST Member

I went to irotors.com........are the rotors the same for all years of the Liberty? I've got an '04 4X4....and would like to replace all my rotors with better ones. Drilled, slotted....dont really know too much about whats going on there. I just want to stop quicker since I have the 32's on there now. I figure for what I'd pay someone to do mine, I could get new, better, rotors and pads and do it myself. ......a little help, thanks

2004 Renny 4X4-Lifted on 32's!! IS NOW RETIRED
2.5" RRO OTT Lift & 32" BFG LT's
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2205322

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:41 pm 
LOST Member

FLrenny
Call Irotors and tell them what you have year etc. and they will take care of you. They were awsome to me.

-General Grabber AT2
-Hidden Hitch W/D ring
-K&N Cold Air Intake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:18 am 
LOST Member

When I took the 05 for a test drive the first thing i noticed about the KJ is that the brakes suck. I actually almost rear ended someone the very first time i hit the brakes. they feel like they are just dont exert enough pressure from the calipers. I knew that they would get a bit better once they broke in but still they are not very strong. The pedal seems very soft, and if I were picturing the pressure curve of the calipers in my head they are very flat and not very progressive. Especially for a 4 wheel disk system.

My driving style is not one for a SUV anyway, which may be the main problem right there. I like a brake system that has a lot of modulation, nice and smooth down low but alot of strength on tap the farther to push the system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:57 pm 
LOST Member

I gotta say irotors.com and EBC green stuff brake pads are the way to go. I know what you mean....They work well

-General Grabber AT2
-Hidden Hitch W/D ring
-K&N Cold Air Intake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:11 pm 
LOST Addict

Has anyone done a rear disc conversion yet? I hate the brakes. Have to get them worked on every 20,000 miles, and don't stop the Jeep very well at all. I'm definately upgrading the fronts, but would like to know what kind of price range going to discs in the rear would be. Also, was it worth it? Thanks.

Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:58 am 
LOST Addict

Personally I think that drilled/slotted rotors are for high speed performance stopping. They might come in handy if you are coming down a steep mountain…..

On the prowl for an M416/M101/M100 trailer
L.O.S.T. Member 2877

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:27 pm 
LOST Addict

I put the frozen Powerslots up front with some Hawk pads. They squeak a little, especially if there is a buildup of brake dust, but the stopping power was greatly improved.

Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:43 pm 
LOST Member

KY Liberty wrote:
Has anyone done a rear disc conversion yet? I hate the brakes. Have to get them worked on every 20,000 miles, and don't stop the Jeep very well at all. I'm definately upgrading the fronts, but would like to know what kind of price range going to discs in the rear would be. Also, was it worth it? Thanks.

Aren't you NORMALLY supposed to have brake changes at every 20,000 miles? I would usually change pads, rotors, drums, and shoes at that interval. Or do you mean something breaks and you have to fix it, like calipers, hub, brake lines?

02 Sport in Stone White
-AEM CAI, Borla XS muffler
-Duralast Premium rotors and PFC pads in front (rotors are cool but the pads suck); Satisfied pads in back drums
-6k HID mains, Hella 500 high beams
-Yokohama Geolandar HTS 235/70 R16
-smoke corners with silver turn signal bulbs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:53 pm 
LOST Member

KY Liberty wrote:
I put the frozen Powerslots up front with some Hawk pads. They squeak a little, especially if there is a buildup of brake dust, but the stopping power was greatly improved.

I too have Powerslots and Hawk pads. At the time I bought the Powerslots, I didn't know that they had a partnership with Frozn Rotors in doing the cryo treatment. If I would have known about it, I would have forked up the extra $10 or so extra per rotor to have the cryo treated rotors.

The stopping power is greatly improved, but for us doomed with the rear drum brakes, it would be nice if Brembo or EBC or Hawk made some performance brake shoes.

And a note about cross-drilled rotors....

Totally stay away from them unless they are made by a quality name brand like Brembo, Wilwood, EBC, Project Mu, Rotora, etc. If you had the choice between cross-drilled or slotted (or dimpled, which is basically a form of slotting), stick with the slotted.

Cheap cross-drilled rotors will crack under pressure from the heat generated from heavy braking, and especially more so since you'll be fitting them to a 2.5 ton SUV like the KJ. Most "drilled" rotors have the holes put in on a blank rotor, which reduces the structural integrity of the steel. The quality ones are cast in a mold with holes for the plates and then assembled.

Even Ferrari and Mercedes-Benz AMG admits that cross-drilled rotors are more for looks than function.

02 Sport in Stone White
-Duralast Premium rotors and PFC pads in front (rotors are cool but the pads suck); Satisfied pads in back drums

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:02 pm 
LOST Junkie

[quote="KY Liberty"]Has anyone done a rear disc conversion yet? I hate the brakes. Have to get them worked on every 20,000 miles, and don't stop the Jeep very well at all. I'm definately upgrading the fronts, but would like to know what kind of price range going to discs in the rear would be. Also, was it worth it? Thanks.[/quote]

i have over 50000 miles on our liberty, original brakes still have at least a 1/3 life left and rear drums over half left. you people must know how to drive.

i admit theres not much power, found that out the first time i got on them hard, maybe thats why im easy on them. anyways, i plan on switching to the cryo-slotted rotors when its time. does anyone have good shoes for the back drums?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:47 pm 
LOST Member

jcphoto20 wrote:
KY Liberty wrote:

i have over 50000 miles on our liberty, original brakes still have at least a 1/3 life left and rear drums over half left. you people must know how to drive.

i admit theres not much power, found that out the first time i got on them hard, maybe thats why im easy on them. anyways, i plan on switching to the cryo-slotted rotors when its time. does anyone have good shoes for the back drums?

Dont get those drum shoes made by Satisfied (sold on Tirerack.com) as they are missing a little bracket needed to connect them properly.

OEM for now, or Mopar if they make it. Might want to check if Brembo makes OEM quality drum shoes, but I doubt they even do.

02 Sport in Stone White

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:20 pm 
LOST Addict

jcphoto20 wrote:
KY Liberty wrote:

There was a problem with the left rear brake when I bought it that was causing all of my brakes to wear badly. The majority of my driving is within the city during rush hour with a lot of bad drivers around here. Pretty bad combination. Once I quit taking it to the dealership, and got a good mechanic to fix the brakes and put the new rotors on, everything was fine. The brakes work really well now. I just need to find some front pads that don't squeak or produce as much dust. I also would only be willing to give up a little braking ability. I have a little more than I can actually use in most circumstances now. I would be willing to give up some lifetime on them, to get the other attributes. Anyone have some recomendations?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:22 am 
LOST Member

what about ebc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

When I upgrade.. Im going with solid brembo rotors and Ceramic pads.. I may even go with what ever the stock pads are since I have ZERO dust and the stopping power is awesome.. The only thing is the rotors warping.. :?

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:47 pm 
LOST Member

KY Liberty wrote:
jcphoto20 wrote:
KY Liberty wrote:

There was a problem with the left rear brake when I bought it that was causing all of my brakes to wear badly. The majority of my driving is within the city during rush hour with a lot of bad drivers around here. Pretty bad combination. Once I quit taking it to the dealership, and got a good mechanic to fix the brakes and put the new rotors on, everything was fine. The brakes work really well now. I just need to find some front pads that don't squeak or produce as much dust. I also would only be willing to give up a little braking ability. I have a little more than I can actually use in most circumstances now. I would be willing to give up some lifetime on them, to get the other attributes. Anyone have some recomendations?

I second EBC. Look into Green Stuff. Its made of organic materials and isnt prone to squeaking like ceramics and ferrocarbon blends. Stops well.

02 Sport in Stone White