It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 4x2 how high?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:59 pm 
This member has been Banned

Anyone know how high you can lift the 4x2 with Al's A-arms. I'm thinking 5 easy inches in front and rear with 33's.

Not for me. anybody done it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

i think you would still need to replace your lower a-arms...

255/70/R16 Fleet Farm All Terrain (yes they work)
Class 3 hitch
Hellas
Police Scanner/CB radio
LOST #: JH061986

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:22 pm 

Are you sure about that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

well if you look at a lifted KJ, the lower arms are at a crazy angle. I realize the RockKrawler lift reuses the stock arms, but it doesn't have a whole lot of suspension travel. The rep from RockKrawler told me that they can get away with this because they lower the front suspension. There is a guy on this forum Jjay who has 4 inches of lift (looks like he combined a spacer and a spring lift). He says the ride is firm and doesn't have much travel.

If you are going for looks you can probably get away without replacing the arms, but you won't gain any travel and the ride will suffer.

Lower arms are really hard to make because they support the weight of the vehicle. I geuss it takes a lot of engineering (read money!) to design them. Since the market for KJ parts is in it's infancy, we won't see lower arms for a while.

If Superlift's 4-5 inch kit comes out, I know it will have new a arms top and bottom. I talked to a rep for quite a while and he seems pretty optimistic that the kit will come out in late summer.

255/70/R16 Fleet Farm All Terrain (yes they work)
Class 3 hitch
Hellas
Police Scanner/CB radio
LOST #: JH061986

Post subject: Re: 4x2 how high?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

the1jferg wrote:
Anyone know how high you can lift the 4x2 with Al's A-arms. I'm thinking 5 easy inches in front and rear with 33's.

Not for me. anybody done it?

I am in the process of figuring that out right now. I have a '02 4x2 on which I installed Al's upper arms on today. I have the old daystar spacer lift which is a 3-1/4" block under the front springs. I guess you could say that it is a 4" lift since this is a prelowered '02. At full droop, the upper ball joint is tight against the lowermost coil of the springs. I think if you wanted to go much higher than what I have, you would need a long arm prerunner kit similar to what Total Chaos Fabrication makes for toyotas.

And 33's? No way. I am running a 265/75/16 on the stock rims and had minimal rubbing with the stock upper arms. With the Al's arms, my tire is rubbing on the upper ball joint, and rubs the rear of the upper arms while turning. To fit a 33, you will need about a 9 or 10 inch rim with 4 to 4.5" backspacing.

I will try to get some pictures of the rubbing mess that I have created, but not till tomorow. Im off to find some spidertrax spacers so my front wheels can turn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:10 pm 

Thanks a bunch.

Down to 4" front lift now. Maybe 5" rear.