It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Difference between Tuner and Chip
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

Can someone explain to me my one method is better than the other?

http://www.hypertech.com/products-results.aspx

http://jeepinbyal.com/prod-Jet_Performa ... 1-503.aspx

They both claim the same gains, but there is a pretty big price gap.

Also has anyone used either and found any benifit?

Post subject: Re: Difference between Tuner and Chip
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

A chip takes your stock ECU and tricks it into thinking things are working as they're supposed to even when they're not. This is how it gives you performance gains. It changes things and then makes the computer think it hasn't. There's a lot of debate about whether or not they actually work in the ling term or if the ECU eventually learns and compensates for it.

A tune changes the programming in the ECU and gives you real performance gains. It will erase your factory programming an install new programs with different options you can choose to tailor it to your liking (at least in the case of hypertech, I'm not sure about all tunes).

If you run a search you'll find a number of people who have done both and many, many, reviews. I think most people would agree that, if you can afford it, the actual tune, be it hypertech or something like B&G, is the way to go.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

I assume if you use a tuner you can flash it back to stock later if you want?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The hypertech tuner will save your stock programming so you can reflash it if you need to bring it in to the dealer or something. You'll want to do that because otherwise the dealer will think your ECU has failed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

Sounds like paying the extra cash will be worth it then. Guess thats the way I will go.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:33 am 
LOST Newbie

Is dynatech the best way to go brand wise or would you recomend something else?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

In terms of the Jet Stage 1, it actually causes negative performance "gains" which have been realized through several members including those who have dyno'ed the stage 1. Jet was contacted at one point and their response regarding the negative gains from the stage 1 chip was that they do not "specifically test each product for each application that they sell". The 2 and 3 stage chips do provide increases, however at that amount of money you're better off contacting B&G Performance and getting tuned ecm/pcms and having the torque limiting system re-calculated to allow torque over stock numbers as well as adjusting several other parameters to encourage the engine to operate it a more optimal level. You can also run the B&G along with a Jet chip which results in a scenario where the computer doesn't acclimate to the chip causing you to have to disconnect the battery every so often in an effort to keep the chip providing increases.

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

JeepinJarhead03 wrote:
In terms of the Jet Stage 1, it actually causes negative performance "gains" which have been realized through several members including those who have dyno'ed the stage 1. Jet was contacted at one point and their response regarding the negative gains from the stage 1 chip was that they do not "specifically test each product for each application that they sell". The 2 and 3 stage chips do provide increases, however at that amount of money you're better off contacting B&G Performance and getting tuned ecm/pcms and having the torque limiting system re-calculated to allow torque over stock numbers as well as adjusting several other parameters to encourage the engine to operate it a more optimal level. You can also run the B&G along with a Jet chip which results in a scenario where the computer doesn't acclimate to the chip causing you to have to disconnect the battery every so often in an effort to keep the chip providing increases.

Ok jet chip is out. How does the Dynatech programer compare to having B&G do it. Also is B&G just a reprogram of my exsisting one? It is my daily driver, but if its worth it a small rental car is pretty cheap for a few days.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:41 am 
LOST Member

I have a stage 2 (highest level option) Jet chip and I love it. It works great and I was definatly able to feel a difference. Install took 5minutes MAX. The downfall is 91oct gas is required. Since the price of gas is so crazy I took it out for now. This is an advantage to a chip over a ECU/PCM flash.

Just food for thought.

-Frankenlift 2 Premium (OME all four corners)
-General Grabber AT2
-All J Products Rock Rails
-Hidden Hitch W/D ring
-K&N Cold Air Intake
-Airade Throttle Body Spacer
-Flowmaster Delta 50 Muffler
-Jet Performance Stage 2 Chip
-3" striaght pipe off the muffler

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

B&G is the only way to go, they also offer "on the fly tuning" with their reprogram/flash. Check them out, worth every penny http://www.bgperformancepcm.com/#jeep