It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: home brew cold air intake
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:22 pm 
LOST Member

I started this project a little over four weeks ago, after i tested and finished all designs i decided it was time to share. I started with the cai i already had which was the AEV brute force kit but didnt like the fact that it was the hot air sucker. i ditched the AEM filter and got the K&N Apollo kit but didn't like the small filter "looks restricting" so i cut a three inch hole into the side of the filter housing to add this 3in marine blower as a second port for air.Image
i ran the main tube running out of the Apollo system to the front grille Image
i then ran the marine blower down to the washerbottle hole that leads into the fenderwell since there isnt any wheel well liner in the front and the washer bottle has been moved the engine bay this seemed like a good place to run the second.Image
the marine blower is a 6 amp waterproof fan that is run to a switch inside the cab. i also wired it in to where it would turn off if the jeeps off even though the fan is noticeable if left on i didn't want to learn the hard way. ImageImage
the jeep has a lo-tek a pillar with a volts gauge and air intake temp gauge wired right behind the air filter. unfortunately i don't have stock box temps for before and after tests but i do have them from when there was just the brute force hooked up pulling hot engine air. so far without the fan generally it runs anywhere from 50 to 70 degrees depending on the weather. with the marine fan blowing it drops 10 to 20 degrees with in 10 minutes and runs usually close to 40-50 range. ill try and post better pictures of the setup with the gauges and cai soon.
your opinions, good or bad are welcome, I'm looking for input since the hole electric small scale supercharger hasn't come up in search

Post subject: home brew cold air intake
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:20 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I like it! Very creative.. It really is a small scale super charger..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bio-Diesel when/where I can. In Houston available at http://www.houstonbiodiesel.com/ and it conforms to ASTM. They also have home brew classes!!

60 % Suburbs N. of Houston, TX - Conroe / The Woodlands Area 40 % Colorado and the West

Post subject: Re: home brew cold air intake
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

Neato. I'm sure the blower isn't building any significant boost, but low IATs are happy IATs.