It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New exhaust time again, brand and type questions
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:16 pm 
LOST Member

2002 Liberty Limited (V6). Factory upper cats, Walker replacement crossover/lower cat, Dynomax muffler head pipe (2.5"), Dynomax muffler and tailpipe (2.5")

The gaskets between the upper cats and the crossover pipe/lower cat have blown out. Two exhaust shops have declined to replace the gaskets because (they say) the pipes and flanges are too rusted and could break in the process. My ability to do work in the driveway is even more limited now than in the past due to HOA crackdowns so I haven't tried. The spring bolts will probably break (no biggie) because they rusted really badly.

Both shops wanted $1100-1200 to replace the crossover/lower cat and muffler. They say the upper cats have only pinhole leaks and might be weldable. That price implies a factory part.

Walker crossover/cat (same as I put on last time) and Magnaflow stainless crossover/cat are available for ~$270 and $353 respectively. The direct fit upper cats for a reputable brand are $260 each; chinese no-names are under $200 but what I've seen they have a bad rep for failing within a couple of years.

Any recommendations? Has anyone used the Magnaflow crossover/cat unit in particular?

I'm going to risk a gasket replacement (with new spring bolts) if I can get the front of the Jeep into the garage to skirt the HOA (not easy!) but want to know the best way to go if it fails and a flange or pipe does break.

Thanks

1971 Dodge Challenger, 318cid, A904 Torqueflite

Post subject: Re: New exhaust time again, brand and type questions
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:46 pm 
LOST Member

If anyone has done this themselves, a question. Is there enough slack in the system so that if the spring bolts are removed or cut out, can the crossover be moved enough (one side at a time if possible) to clean out the remains of the old donut gasket and install the new one? Or will I have o do both sides at the same time (one side is blown out, the other has a tiny leak, everyone in town is backordered on the gasket and I only have one right now).

Am I likely to have problems doing this (other than getting the old rusty frozen spring bolts off)?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:21 pm 
LOST Member

and another question if anyone is here and knows.

I picked up a single Walker donut gasket from a store here Monday (only one I could find) in case I had a chance to work on the Jeep before my ordered parts arrived. Its the right part number, the ring is about 2.1" ID all the way through, 2.75" OD on one side tapering in a smooth curve to about 2.25" OD on the other side, and around 5/8" thick

Today my order arrived, with FelPro 61289 donuts. I confirmed that part number in FelPros catalog. ID is stepped; one side is about 2.05", the other is ~2.15", max OD is the same but its in the center and tapers down to about 2.25" on either side. It is around 1.25" thick.

I lean towards Felpro for quality but I'm hoping the narrow Walker one is right because it'll be a lot easier to get it installed without disassembling or forcing back the converter cross pipe.

If anyone has done this and knows about the gasket difference I'd appreciate hearing. I know the Walker cat was installed with the thinner donuts ~5 years ago (maybe thats why they're blown out? The original converter was replaced due to rust-through on the crossover pipes but the flanges were still tight with the factory donuts).

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:49 pm 
LOST Member

Well for future reference it appears that the thinner donuts are correct.

I could not get the one side off; I cut through the nearer spring bolt but just could not get to the inside one on the drive side. Rust, time, or cheap chinese construction had made the head of the spring bolts on that side connection something that no standard or metric wrench or socket would fit properly.

Passenger side was opened up and there is no way the giant FelPro donut would work. It got a new thin donut but since I could not get the drivers side done, it was a bear to get in and I must have missed a bit of the old one stuck in the upper cat because its still leaking there (much less though). The stress opened up one of the lengthwise welds (rust contributed) in the Walker cat pipe (now bandaged) so likely going to replace it soon.

Again, has anyone used the Magnaflow stainless lower cat/crossover (or their upper cats) for their early V6 KJ? The Walker barely lasted 5 years before being a problem. I'm not going to pay for an OEM at this point but I'm likely to need to replace at least the lower cat (and maybe the uppers) in the next year if the Jeep is going to stick around.

Thanks for any info.