It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Installing a performance muffler
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi everyone,

I found the L.O.S.T. website for the first time today (awesome by the way) and I have a question for you. I want to upgrade my OEM muffler on my 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited with a 50 Series SUV performance muffler from Flowmaster. The problem is I'm not sure what size the inlet and outlet ports of the OEM muffler is. I called my local Jeep dealership and the service guy couldn't even find the size information. Before I buy the Flowmaster I need to know the exact size of the inlet and outlet ports to ensure I buy the correct aftermarket muffler for my exhaust system. My OEM muffler by the way has a center lined inlet port and an offset outlet port. I got down there with a tape measure today and they seem to be about 2 1/2 inches in diameter but I need to be exact. Any help from you guys would be appreciated. Thanks!
Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Welcome, I wish I knew the answer, I dont know if they have changed it in the 05 models, but I thought that it was 2 1/2 then shrunk down to 2 1/4 where the muffler is welded on...
I'm sure someone more knowledgable will chime in though! Sorry I couldnt be more of a help.

~Bethany

Ipod in the dash receiver... never have to listen to radio again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:20 pm 
LOST Addict

I think Funmud is right. I remember a thread on another forum from a few years ago talking about making sure that you take care of a slight decrease in diameter right before the muffler. Otherwise you don't get much benefit.

Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

Do a search, the aftermarket muffler questions have been addresses over and over again.... I'm assuming we can still access the old threads??

Just for the new board's sake I will post a quick reply on what I did with my Libby...

I am not a Flowmaster fan personally, I like Magnaflows... After seeing that Magna's cat back was $600 I immediately pooped myself... then after cleaning up I did some research as to which muffler was used in their kit. I did this because A) Our tubing is mandrel bent from the factory so there is no need for all the BS tubing that comes with it and B) Someone on the old boards noted that our exhaust plumbing is 2.5" outer diameter, and assuming it's ~1/8" thick walls, that would mean an inner diameter of 2.25", which is better for low end torque anyway... Knowing this and looking at my muffler I noted the inlet and outlet orientation, and looked up a Magnaflow muffler with the same dimensions and orientation. The muffler was not stainless, as you can't weld stainless to standard steel, and nothing else under the Jeep is stainless anyway, so why bother. It cost $75 shipped and then Midas charged $50 to weld it up in about twenty minutes. The result is spectacular. I also have a dB chart of different mufflers at different rpms that I will try to post here. If it doesn't work and someone wants it, please email me. It's not tested on the Libby, but will still give you an idea of how the different manufacturers are on the loudness scale. I do get a bit of highway drone, but nothing crazy, and I am used to it now. If you wanted ultra quiet, the Borla XS posts better dB numbers... Please let me know if you are interested in the Magnaflow part number that fits right up... James[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

On my 04 I have a 50 series Delta Flow Flowmaster....the inet and outlet tube are both 2.5". You will need about a 6-8" extension of pipe (don't remember exactly) I had mine installed @ Midas where they just welded the extension to the front of the muffler and welded the muffler at the rear of the connecting flange so that you can still remove the whole rear of the exhaust just like from factory and the rear was welded at the bottom of the up turn before the axle. no need to take into account a smaller dia. Oh, and it sounds great...they said I was the first liberty they put a performance muffler on and they loved the sound. 8)

Va. Beach, Va.

Post subject: Thanks for the responses
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well,

Thanks for the advice from the respondants. I asked around and found out I needed to buy a 2.5" inlet and 2.5" outlet muffler so that's what I did. I contacted the folks at Flowmaster via phone and they recommended the 50 Series Delta Flow. I asked him about the 50 series SUV performance mufflers and he said they were more for larger displacement engines than a 3.7L. So I took his advice and purchased the Delta Flow. I also bought a 4 inch tip for tail of the exhaust. I had the OEM muffler dropped and the new Flowmaster and the tip put on last Thursday. It made quite a difference in sound right away. A nice low mellow deep tone. It has more of a mellow deep tone when around 1000-1500 rpm. Then when you get up to around 2000-3500 rpm it has a deep mellow rumble that sounds really nice. Not too loud on the inside of the truck either so I'm happy about that. I just filled up my tank and reset my overhead MPG tracker so I'm interested in seeing if my gas mileage goes up. After three tanks I'll do the math and let you all know. I am also installing an AEM cold air induction system so that should increase my HP and MPG too. I'll post pics when it's all put in place. Thanks again,
brodiewc

Post subject: flowmaster set up from rusty
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

It looks like a good setup if you want to stay with a bolt-on type
and dont wanna pay the price for namebrand.

http://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=KJFM-50&Category_Code=

pic

Driven the Rest,
now im driving
the best. comfort that is..

96 Civic hatch/swaped
92 Chevy s-10/slammed
89 Chevy s-10ext/lifted
93 Ford xlt stock
87 5.0 blown
84 Chevy s-10/swaped

Post subject: aem
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

http://www.stylinconcepts.com/parts.aspx/partfamilyid/1031/CategoryID/28/SubcategoryID/111
right now is on sale for under $160
i ordered mine today..

Driven the Rest,
now im driving
the best. comfort that is..

96 Civic hatch/swaped
92 Chevy s-10/slammed
89 Chevy s-10ext/lifted
93 Ford xlt stock
87 5.0 blown
84 Chevy s-10/swaped

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Why is that exhaust system $250 when i can get that muffler for $100. Its $150 for that pipe?

Which one is it?

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/50_delta.html

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster