It is currently Thu Jun 06, 2024 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New CRD Liberty Owner from Diesel Power
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello,

My name is Mike. I work for Diesel Power Magazine. About 95 percent of the book is ¾-ton and 1-ton pickup-based, but recently I got my fiancée into an ’05 Liberty CRD. She had expressed interest in wanting something that was both fuel efficient and four-wheel drive. And, as I didn’t want another 1-ton diesel truck sitting in the driveway and getting 16-17 mpg, the Liberty popped into my head and we went hunting. A bunch of guys, including a member over here, geordi, referred me and also chimed in over on dieselpowermag.com when I posted my interest in seriously considering a diesel Liberty.

Long story short, we purchased an inferno red CRD over the weekend, and I love this little thing so far.

I guess my short-term mission with this thing is to service it, and plan to drive it stock a while (it is the fiancee's...).

I guess the one thing I’m worried about is the EGR issues I’ve heard about, and the fact that they don’t have a lift pump for fuel supply to the injection pump (Carter? Kennedy? Does an aftermarket company sell a kit?). Has anyone added a lift pump and had it check out OK at the dealer? I guess what I mean to say is, would that void a powertrain warranty? There is still a year and a half left on the vehicle’s original 84K/7yr powertrain warranty.

I also hear a lot about the low-end grunt of the VM Motori eating up torque converters, but what about the transmission itself? Is it pretty sound? This is the first Chrysler I've owned.

I’ve browsed around on here and seen the engine oil debate. I think I’ll end up running the 5W-40 Rotella synthetic. I’ve always had good luck in diesel trucks with their 15W-40.

Anyway, I’m liking the site, and found the sticky titled: Sam’s CRD Noob Guide to be very informative. Thanks to that, I’ll be cleaning the MAP, changing the oil, air filter, and fuel filter this coming Saturday (possible first story for the mag :roll: ).

I’m curious what manufacturer builds the turbocharger and what injection pump it uses. If you know please clue me in. The turbo sure is tucked down in there on the passenger side :banghead:

Looking forward to chatting with you guys and discussing what you think would be most important to showcase to the possibly uninformed diesel Liberty owner out there…and most of all, I'm looking forward to learning more about these neat little creatures :mrgreen:

-Mike McGlothlin

Post subject: Re: New CRD Liberty Owner from Diesel Power
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Howdy - welcome to LOST.

for the EGR - look at a Green Diesel tune - it corrects the problem.

on the lift pump - lots of folks have cut fuel lines and installed Facet's or Kennedy's - personally I like the intank Cummins - a bit more work but looks factory, the computer is programmed for it and there's 1/2 a wire - you have to run the rest.

Although getting the new style factory fuel head will eliminate most problem - the lift pump is a safety factor.

The hard parts of the tranny are solid - same as behind the Hemi - just the original TC's were trash - and the new - now standard European TC holds up well.

as to details on the Turbo - look for MrMopar or GDE - I'd have to search a lot but they've been mentioned.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:33 pm 
LOST Junkie

I believe the turbo is a Garret and the injection pump is a Bosch CP3.

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:30 am 
LOST Newbie

Very good. Thanks for the input guys :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:43 pm 
LOST Addict

Personally, if you still have factory warranty left I wouldn't touch it until that warranty expires. Chrysler is notorious for finding any little reason to deny warranty claims. And, most of us have no trouble with the factory updated fuel filter head drawing fuel from the tank.

The transmission is the 545RFE, same one used in the Dodge Ram 1500-3500 trucks behind the V8. It's very reliable. The torque converters are updated from the factory now and the new ones are also a lot more reliable.

You should find that overall you average about 23 MPG, and the Jeep is enjoyable to drive on and off road. They are nice little rigs.

When the turbo takes a dive, check out the GDE turbo kit. It makes 400 lb./ft. of torque and improves fuel economy to boot. Can't ask for more with a 4-cylinder... that's just plain awesomeness right there.

Diesel Power Mag. is supposed to be featuring my Jeep in the "readers rides" section soon. :o)

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

LibertyCRD wrote:
Personally, if you still have factory warranty left I wouldn't touch it until that warranty expires. Chrysler is notorious for finding any little reason to deny warranty claims. And, most of us have no trouble with the factory updated fuel filter head drawing fuel from the tank.

The transmission is the 545RFE, same one used in the Dodge Ram 1500-3500 trucks behind the V8. It's very reliable. The torque converters are updated from the factory now and the new ones are also a lot more reliable.

You should find that overall you average about 23 MPG, and the Jeep is enjoyable to drive on and off road. They are nice little rigs.

When the turbo takes a dive, check out the GDE turbo kit. It makes 400 lb./ft. of torque and improves fuel economy to boot. Can't ask for more with a 4-cylinder... that's just plain awesomeness right there.

Diesel Power Mag. is supposed to be featuring my Jeep in the "readers rides" section soon. :o)

That's good to know about the warranty. It still has a year and a half left on it. The paperwork that came with it says it received the torque converter recall and TCM/PCM reflash back in December of '06 (recall # F37). Is this the updated converter you're speaking of?

What was changed on the factory fuel filter head in order to update it? I may look into that.
Is there a known issue with these little VGT's?
Any issues with certain drop-in air filters? Looks like the local auto parts store carries a Fram, STP, or K&N.

If you give me your name I'll remind our Reader's Rides guy to place you toward the top of the pile :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:55 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The new fuel head has more plastic around the heater plug - that was the point where the air leaks started - although it acted like marginal manufacturing - some worked well - some died on the dealers lots -and some went bad over time - my original was good foe 30K before it started leaking diesel out of the heater plug

photos here
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=381162#p381162

on the TC - I don't think the 'European' style became standard until 09 or 10
numbers
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=545330#p545330

the F37 'downgrade' in 06 just killed the performance and put in a replacement TC - not the fix TC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:23 am 
LOST Addict

New2Jeep wrote:
LibertyCRD wrote:

That's good to know about the warranty. It still has a year and a half left on it. The paperwork that came with it says it received the torque converter recall and TCM/PCM reflash back in December of '06 (recall # F37). Is this the updated converter you're speaking of?

What was changed on the factory fuel filter head in order to update it? I may look into that.
Any issues with certain drop-in air filters? Looks like the local auto parts store carries a Fram, STP, or K&N.

If you give me your name I'll remind our Reader's Rides guy to place you toward the top of the pile :D

The updated fuel filter head is less prone to getting air in the system which makes it more reliable. It's also less prone to fire hazard. The head has a built-in heating element to help prevent fuel gelling in Winter. But that element can catch fire and ignite the fuel. I've seen pictures of a few engine fires resulting from this. It's advised to install the updated fuel filter head and updated wire harness. When you order this, you get a new fuel filter attached, so for $100 it's a good deal.

As far as the F37 recall... it was sort of a two-part deal. They would replace the torque converter, and they would also flash the ECU to lower the engine torque. Some people got lucky and the dealership only changed the TC and didn't touch the ECU programming. Like was already said....the updated TC didn't come out until 2009 here in the States, so you don't have it right now. If you order the updated TC you'll be in good shape, and if you get the GDE tune for the ECU it'll restore your power and efficiency and help prevent future EGR failures.

Name is Shawn.. I just subscribed to Diesel Power so hopefully I won't miss my Jeep if they stick it in an upcoming issue. :) It's amazing how many people still have never seen a Jeep Liberty CRD around here.

Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

LibertyCRD wrote:
New2Jeep wrote:
LibertyCRD wrote:

The updated fuel filter head is less prone to getting air in the system which makes it more reliable. It's also less prone to fire hazard. The head has a built-in heating element to help prevent fuel gelling in Winter. But that element can catch fire and ignite the fuel. I've seen pictures of a few engine fires resulting from this. It's advised to install the updated fuel filter head and updated wire harness. When you order this, you get a new fuel filter attached, so for $100 it's a good deal.

As far as the F37 recall... it was sort of a two-part deal. They would replace the torque converter, and they would also flash the ECU to lower the engine torque. Some people got lucky and the dealership only changed the TC and didn't touch the ECU programming. Like was already said....the updated TC didn't come out until 2009 here in the States, so you don't have it right now. If you order the updated TC you'll be in good shape, and if you get the GDE tune for the ECU it'll restore your power and efficiency and help prevent future EGR failures.

Name is Shawn.. I just subscribed to Diesel Power so hopefully I won't miss my Jeep if they stick it in an upcoming issue. :) It's amazing how many people still have never seen a Jeep Liberty CRD around here.

Thanks for all your help and insight Shawn. I like the Sun Coast idea for a future converter upgrade :rockon: but that's all down the line I guess. I would like to do away with EGR in the worst way though.

*Your Jeep will be in the January issue. That's the next issue coming out, it will be in stores the first week of December.
Any change in exhaust note with the cat-back exhaust you're running? And towing 7,000 pounds with ease in one of these sounds like they're worth every penny!

-Mike

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:21 pm 
LOST Addict

I ran a straight pipe and it sounded "ricey" to me, but coasting ability was somewhat improved. MPGs didn't improve hardly at all over the long term. Now, with the thrush turbo muffler it sounds very close to stock again. I've had it for about a month and I've logged two of my all-time best tanks with it...the last one being 26 miles per gallon.

With the Jeep pulling 7,000 lbs. I can get 15 MPG easily, and I can also hold 5th gear on hills. I could NEVER do that with my V8 fullsize pickup trucks. I'm very happy. The only thing is... with the short wheelbase you need to take it easy, and trailer brakes are a must-have item.

Thanks for the tip... I should get the mag. soon in the mail...

Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Welcome to LOSTJEEPS. Great to have someone pay attention on these little diesels.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:04 am 
LOST Newbie

Well, it looks like it’s turbo-to-intercooler hose replacement time on this ’05. Found it last week (a crack on the passenger side) while snooping around under the hood.

I’m kind of torn. I could get them replaced under warranty (I assume…), but I also don’t like to keep using the same part that failed in the first place.

Anyone know if boostcontroller.com keeps their silicone hose kits in stock? If I knew for sure that a black set were there waiting to be shipped to me I’d go ahead and order…

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:06 am 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

welcome. nice to see another Il guy with a CRD!

Mods:Exterior: Frankenlift + 2 extra rear iso, JBA UCAs, ARB Bumper w/XRC8, Safari Snorkel, 265/75/16 AT, Mopar Skids, Boulderbars, RL Gecko Sport Rack
Interior: Infinity Reference speakers, 12" Alpine Type R Sub, Alpine radio, Gauge Pods (Oil, Volts), Cobra Cb, All J Interior Rack

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:39 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

New2Jeep wrote:
I’m kind of torn. I could get them replaced under warranty (I assume…), but I also don’t like to keep using the same part that failed in the first place.

I think the passenger side hose has had a revision from the original part number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

bugnout wrote:
New2Jeep wrote:

I think the passenger side hose has had a revision from the original part number

Good to know. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:37 am 
LOST Addict

Welcome its good to have another crd owner here that's also a diesel guy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:40 pm 
LOST Addict

Welcome to LOST there are a few big names around here that you must know. You have Kieth at Green diesel Engineering he is the guy who knows these little engines inside and out and is always a big help to us. And makes one of the best tunes for these engines and it still looks factory under the hood no controler boxes and no extra wires. That was my first modification Destroyed my torque convertor doing launchs at the local drag strip. :twisted: You also need to know Boiler he is on here he makes quite a few off-road parts for the liberty. And troy th first SFA liberty swap that i know of he is also a major fabricator and knows way to much about these vehicals. He goes by the name tjkj2002. Then you have Tommudd, warp2diesel, JLRockies, and can't forget our first V-8 engine swap KJWildman. Those are just a few on here when they speak i stop and listen. Also one that has kinda died out but is still around alittle here and there is Martin at Rock Lizard Fabrications makes a great pair of rock sliders and is also very knowledgable. And Cherry Bomb makes a kit for these gives it a nice low end rumble and added a few horse power via butt dino. Almost forgot two JBA (jeepinbyAl) and Boulder bars both are big in the liberties suspension components.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

Cool. Thanks a lot. It seems like I've heard a lot about GDE on here. They sound very knowledgeable.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:18 am 
LOST Addict

Our local dealer (Herb Chambers in Millbury, Mass) knows about the Cummins lift pump installed in the tank and has not gotten the least bit excited about it or suggested it might void our MOPAR ESP. (There is a fuse that I believe is labeled "prime" that runs it.)

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:54 am 
LOST Addict

Just saw the article in the April issue and it's AWESOME that Diesel Power is finally embracing the KJ CRD for what it is...an awesome 4x4. When these Jeeps were new, I specifically remember Diesel Power dogging them and calling them girl rides and giving them zero credit. If it wasn't a 1-ton pickup, it wasn't in the magazine. Which is why I quit reading it. Now... Diesel Power if finally featuring some variety and that is REALLY nice to see.

I hope that you guys do the GDE turbo kit. I'd love to see a step-by-step install of one of those kits, and some before/after data to see how things really improved. There's a lot of potential in these rigs, and with exposure like your magazine, maybe more companies will start helping us out.

Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter