It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 05 liberty crd from Ohio
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello everyone,

Bought my jeep, used, a few years back. It had one owner before me, some Doctor, with all the bells and whistles at 130K now 182K. Just changed the turbo and hoses, completely deleted the EGR and replaced injectors. Just it got put back together and started and let it idle for about 30 minutes then took it for a drive to get it washed and to fuel up.

While driving I noticed that while it will get up to 50-60 mph it does it very slowly. If I put the petal to the metal it gradually increases speed. I loose power on the hills.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help and God Bless you all.

UPDATE: I am getting a P0102, P0403 and P1140 error codes, but I believe these are related the to EGR and mass airflow because I have not flashed the computer yet.

Post subject: Re: 05 liberty crd from Ohio
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:07 pm 

mmposton wrote:
Hello everyone,
Bought my jeep, used, a few years back. It had one owner before me, some Doctor, with all the bells and whistles at 130K now 182K. Just changed the turbo and hoses, completely deleted the EGR and replaced injectors. Just it got put back together and started and let it idle for about 30 minutes then took it for a drive to get it washed and to fuel up.
While driving I noticed that while it will get up to 50-60 mph it does it very slowly. If I put the petal to the metal it gradually increases speed. I loose power on the hills.
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help and God Bless you all.
UPDATE: I am getting a P0102, P0403 and P1140 error codes, but I believe these are related the to EGR and mass airflow because I have not flashed the computer yet.

The P0102 & P1140 are due to you having the EGR and FCV removed.

From what you are describing, sounds like a low boost problem?

But the P1140 is telling you where to look. Make sure you have all the hoses for the turbo vanes vacuum controls connected properly and the little hose that connects to the vane diaphragm on the turbo itself is connected and does not have any leaks or cracks in it.

Make sure you did not leave any paper towels or rags stuffed in any of the hoses. You may laugh at this one, but it has happened and been reported before! :lol:

P1140 - Vacuum Reservoir Solenoid Circuit Condition
Possible causes
- Faulty Vacuum Reservoir Solenoid
- Vacuum Reservoir Solenoid harness is open or shorted
- Vacuum Reservoir Solenoid circuit poor electrical connection

See this post on how to temporarily bypass the turbo vane vacuum solenoid for test purposes.
> viewtopic.php?p=927981#p927981

report back as to what you find,

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:06 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks WWdiesel for your suggestions.

I rechecked all the hoses, no paper, and connections to the turbo and those are all fine. When I took the heat shield cover off the turbo I noticed some soot on the cover. So, I rechecked the connection to the exhaust and made sure it was good and tight. While I was in there I also rechecked the cap to the manifold, where the EGR attached, and it also was fine. I also checked the EVM and bypassed it with no change.

I took the Jeep for a spin this morning and noticed still no power and the temperature seemed a little high. Almost halfway to halfway on the temperature gauge. It was only 70 degrees outside. I also noticed NO black smoke when I floored it.

Doing more research.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:23 am 

Just curious, why did you replace injectors? They generally don't go bad.
Low boost pressure causes the engine to work harder under load and will produce more heat. :roll:
Did you do a cam belt replacement?

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:51 am 
LOST Newbie

You are probably right about the injectors, but two of them had a massive amount of burnt residue on the outside and one of the two was heavily carboned up on the tip. I did the Serpentine belt replacement, but not the timing belt replacement, yet.

Also, a few years ago I had an oil analysis done and the mechanic told me that the excess smoking and heavy soot in the oil was due to a bad injector. So I figured while I had the time and money, to go ahead and replace them. I realize that the bad analysis and smoke could have also been do to the EGR, after pulling it out and looking at it.

Upon further reflection, the residue on the outside of the injectors might have been due to an oil leak in the by-pass filter that I added. I used to work for a company that sold these Frantz filters and I have put them on everything from my old 8N tractor to my Jeep. They do a great job of cleaning the oil.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:04 pm 

mmposton wrote:
You are probably right about the injectors, but two of them had a massive amount of burnt residue on the outside and one of the two was heavily carboned up on the tip. I did the Serpentine belt replacement, but not the timing belt replacement, yet.

Also, a few years ago I had an oil analysis done and the mechanic told me that the excess smoking and heavy soot in the oil was due to a bad injector. So I figured while I had the time and money, to go ahead and replace them. I realize that the bad analysis and smoke could have also been do to the EGR, after pulling it out and looking at it.

Upon further reflection, the residue on the outside of the injectors might have been due to an oil leak in the by-pass filter that I added. I used to work for a company that sold these Frantz filters and I have put them on everything from my old 8N tractor to my Jeep. They do a great job of cleaning the oil.

Probably time for a compression test. Condition of injector tip may be telling you something? :shock:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for all your help. I found the hose that was leaking air and took off the turbo and reinstalled and finally got it running. :lol: Was driving for a couple months and then rolled :-)r it 2 weeks ago. Insurance totaled the Jeep, but I bought it back.

Now I'm interested in putting the engine in another Jeep body. I've read about the Wrangler and the Rubicon, but was wondering if anyone tried putting the 2.8l diesel in a Scrambler and if anyone knows of a scrambler body that need an engine.