It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello All Jeep Liberty Limited 2009 159K Miles Trans Cooler
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

:JEEPIN: Hi All,

Great to be here :JEEPIN:

Came to the forum for my 2009 Jeep Liberty Limited. It's got about 159K Miles on it.

2019 I had extensive work done on the vehicle. Started a few years earlier with a check engine light that no one could seem to figure out. Replaced the Cat Converter, O2 Sensors, Plugs, Coils but still ran funny (shook when idle) and threw a Check Engine Light. Dealer and Outside Mechanics couldn't figure it out until my Head Gaskets were finally replaced under Warranty here in NJ. Brought the two head gaskets in for Warranty repair under Lifetime Powertrain in February 2019 and got it back in April 2019 (luckily they let me have a new loaner). Soon as I got it back went to drive it to work next morning and it looked like I had jet fuel billowing out the exhaust. Brought it back in and that is when I was told I needed a new engine, etc. From the course of April to August Jeep Service replaced my engine, trans pan, fluid, gasket, bolts, drift shaft, a whole list of things (if anyone cares to know could provide more information under warranty primarily and billed me for ancillary items out of pocket about $1200.

Didn't drive my jeep much after covid and now work at home. A couple weeks back thought I was having transmission issues. I'd turn the car on now that it's colder here in NJ and the car would stick and not move. I could reverse but not move forward. I found that if I really waited to warm my car up it would finally go. I checked the transmission fluid and nothing was there even though it was all replaced in 2019. I added more fluid about a quart and a half over the course of a few days just in case because nothing was on the dipstick. It ran a lot better and I thought the issue was solved until it rained one day and I see all the fluid laying on the ground under the air conditioning unit. I towed it to jeep service because a transmission is covered under lifetime. They call me today and say that my Transmission Cooler is cracked and that is the issue, quote my $1100 but don't mention a word about the actual transmission condition and try to have my authorize a $149 diagnostic fee to read the check engine code.

To my knowledge this seems about double if not more for a transmission cooler repair with labor but why wouldn't service try to drive it and see that it doesn't move/read the computer code that most likely states transmission issue and deem the transmission needs to be repaired as well as the same time. I assume its to parcel the work out and get double labor. In the mean time apparently jeep never sent my 5 year maintenance service to corporate so my lifetime warranty is held up until that happens and I have to figure that out. Just curious if the service department is trying to mess with me. When my vehicle was towed in you could clearly see the line hanging so initially I thought it was to replace the cooler or transmission line. If I can figure out how to add a photo I'll try. Thanks in advance everyone for the great advice provided on this forum!

Post subject: Re: Hello All Jeep Liberty Limited 2009 159K Miles Trans Coo
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:39 am 
LOST Addict

Hello Alainah:

Welcome to the LOSTJEEPS.com online forum! You will indeed find people on here that can help you maintain your KK Liberty.

Please be sure to specify the type of engine you have in your Liberty.

By reading your post, it looks like you have the 3.7L V-6. A lot of us on here are Liberty CRD Owners, (2.8L Turbo-Diesel engine), so at least some of us are unfamiliar with your specific problems.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:15 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it! Yes, it's a 3.7L V-6.

I guess to make a long story short from above mostly just have Jeep Service department not diagnosing my actual Transmission (still probing them to do so between playing touch and go with service call rep.) and instead stating its a Transmission Cooler/wondering about cost transparency.

Second unfortunate issue if anyone has anything to add is that I also found out last week my Lifetime Power Terrain Warranty is on hold until the last Jeep Service department I went to back in 2019 provides the 5 year maintenance invoice. This location was sold a year ago and the service manager stated they don't have any documents/he couldn't find anything. The time my maintenance was due I suppose to headquarters in August 2019 this Jeep Service department basically had my Jeep for the majority of the year (February-August) replacing engine and lots of other parts under warranty. Any advice on how to deal with Headquarters on this matter would be appreciated as well. The first several calls I made to Mopar and Jeep Customer Service had me feeling like I was in the a twilight zone. They didn't know what a Lifetime Power Terrain Warranty was and asked if I bought a policy from a dealer?! I found out they were also sold not that long ago and perhaps that is the issue with Headquarters lapse in judgement/experience.

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:44 am 
LOST Addict

Alainah wrote:
Thanks for your response, I appreciate it! Yes, it's a 3.7L V-6.

I guess to make a long story short from above mostly just have Jeep Service department not diagnosing my actual Transmission (still probing them to do so between playing touch and go with service call rep.) and instead stating its a Transmission Cooler/wondering about cost transparency.

Second unfortunate issue if anyone has anything to add is that I also found out last week my Lifetime Power Terrain Warranty is on hold until the last Jeep Service department I went to back in 2019 provides the 5 year maintenance invoice. This location was sold a year ago and the service manager stated they don't have any documents/he couldn't find anything. The time my maintenance was due I suppose to headquarters in August 2019 this Jeep Service department basically had my Jeep for the majority of the year (February-August) replacing engine and lots of other parts under warranty. Any advice on how to deal with Headquarters on this matter would be appreciated as well. The first several calls I made to Mopar and Jeep Customer Service had me feeling like I was in the a twilight zone. They didn't know what a Lifetime Power Terrain Warranty was and asked if I bought a policy from a dealer?! I found out they were also sold not that long ago and perhaps that is the issue with Headquarters lapse in judgement/experience.

Thanks!!

I totally understand the frustrations you are going through as I have been there myself. I personally have found that calling the dealership or the manufacturer is a waste of time as they have procedures in place to stall you. Dealing with the stealerships is one reason I hate having to purchase a new vehicle. So, I avoid purchasing a new vehicle unless I absolutely have to.

I am up here in Canada; my advice on how to deal with your problems may not be much help. The laws governing consumer protection and the related laws involving automobile consumer's rights are likely different up in Canada verses what they are in the U.S. I would start by contacting your local Better Business Bureau and give them the details of your problem. It sounds like the repairs on your Liberty are taking entirely too long and there may be laws in place to stop the repair facility from delaying any longer.

When you deal with any dealership or automotive repair facility it is imperative to KEEP A COPY of all paperwork; this means all sales documents in regards to the sale of the vehicle to you, any warranties you purchased and any repairs that were performed. Look over that paperwork and make sure that you can understand what was written in it; if you have any questions, make sure you get clarification before you sign off on it. MAKE EXTRA COPIES OF ALL OF THIS PAPERWORK AND USE THE EXTRA COPIES WHEN DEALING WITH THE DEALERSHIP OR REPAIR FACILITY; DO NOT HAND BACK YOUR ONLY COPY TO THEM.

It sounds like the Jeep dealership you were dealing with was sold off, but I need some clarity here. Was it sold to a new owner or did it close it's doors? A new owner is saddled with any liabilities that dealership would have including any warranties it would have to uphold, whether or not those warranties were offered by the manufacturer or by a third party insurance company. It sounds like the warranty you purchased was a third party warrant not offered by Jeep itself. You need to get the details of this Lifetime Power Train Warranty and contact the issuer, (underwriter), of the warranty for clarification and/or copies that you can keep for yourself.

If you are getting nowhere - even with my advice - be prepared to take the repair facility/dealership to small claims court. Showing up and dropping a summons in from of them and telling them "You have been served; see you in court" makes a lot of them change their minds.