It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hi from Italy (yes- another one!!)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

Difficult if we are limited to only 60,000 characters, but basically we are still deciding on our KJ......................used, to be purchased in the UK when the weather decides to improve a bit (today we had some more snow here in Modena, not enough to stay on the ground, just to remind us that winter hasn't finished yet!).

We both work for CNH, the ag equipment part of Fiat, and will retire in December at which time we do the 18,500km relocation back to my 'hometown' of Christchurch, New Zealand. The original plan was to ship back the Fiat Panda 4x4, but recent changes to the NZ left-hand-drive rules mean we wouldn't be able to bring it into the country, and now that Jeep is 'in the family' a Cherokee from the UK will provide a more than suitable replacement (most importantly, with the steering wheel on the correct side of the vehicle).

We have pretty much decided on a CRD auto in Sport trim to avoid too much electronics to go wrong at higher mileage and after more off-roading than the majority of KJ's probably experience.

Would prefer to have a red one, but they are in the minority, so it will probably be black.

Timing not certain, but July - August for sure, as we plan to ship the vehicle 'down under' in December.

And then the fun will begin.....................hopefully, 2.5" lift and everything this entails, so we can join the local Jeep club and become, step by step, active members. Then we will see.

ciao for now 8)[img][/]

Post subject: Re: Hi from Italy (yes- another one!!)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:10 pm 
LOST Addict

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:17 pm 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

Welcome :D

Mods:Exterior: Frankenlift + 2 extra rear iso, JBA UCAs, ARB Bumper w/XRC8, Safari Snorkel, 265/75/16 AT, Mopar Skids, Boulderbars, RL Gecko Sport Rack
Interior: Infinity Reference speakers, 12" Alpine Type R Sub, Alpine radio, Gauge Pods (Oil, Volts), Cobra Cb, All J Interior Rack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:12 pm 
LOST Addict

welcome from across the pond. I've been shipping a ton of samples from my pigment company to Italy in the last month.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:41 am 
LOST Member

Welcome to the forum. :JEEPIN:

1999 Wrangler Sahara
2" Teraflex lift with flexarms, ARB air lockers Front/Rear, Skid Plates, BFG 31x10.50 ATKOs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:32 am 
LOST Newbie

wecwbe wrote:
Welcome to the forum. :JEEPIN:

Thanks, guys - from what I have seen in the various discussion areas I guess I need to go to the Euro and Downunder sections to get some pointers on what to check before buying a CRD.............I mean, we are thinking of a 2006 Sport auto @ around 40,000 miles; what should we look out for??

ciao, :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:23 am 
LOST Member

Hmmm,

No advice, but a question. Are they still using the 2.5 or 2.8 VM Motori in the CRD Cherokees being sold in the UK?

AND, If you're anywhere but the US there will be competent diesel mechanics to take care of whatever problems might arise.

We have trouble here because there are so few small diesel engine cars on the road. Americans seem to like huge diesels in monster trucks. There is unlimited support for that market.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:01 am 
LOST Newbie

It's the 2.8 VM, and there is no problem finding competent diesel mechanics here (Italy) or there (New Zealand), so I'm not at all concerned on that regard. Our reason for buying one in the UK is that the majority of new KJ's sold in NZ were V6, whereas in the UK we can choose from at least half a dozen vehicles in nice condition and comparatively low miles (under 40,000).

For example, right now there is a 2007 Sport CRD auto, 27,000 miles, Inferno Red (our preferred color) which is in a Jeep dealer in Belfast, Northern Ireland................very tempting!! If only there was a LOST Euro guy nearby to give it the once over. :juggle:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:56 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Welcome. DUCATI'S forever!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:30 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Suddenly, there is something very appealing to me about 'wheeling in Northern Ireland. :JEEPIN:

Welcome to LOST, you'll love it here. As we Americans say "it's chock full o' good stuff!". :pepper:

When my wife and I were in Italy I was surprised by how many KJs I saw. And I've always wondered just why the KJ is named the Liberty in the North American (and other?) markets but wears the Cherokee name in Europe. I would speculate that LIBERTY, a name that shouts AMERICAN (DAMM right mofo!), would not sell as well overseas, in 2002, as would a Jeep named oh...say...Cherokee.

And on the other side of the coin, I'd bet that DC got at least a few non-positive letters form actual Cherokee native Americans (who really should be honored, I'd love it if Jeep named a vehicle after the Anglos) about the use of their tribe's name to sell Jeeps and decided..."well, yeah, that new KJ...let's just call it.....Liberty in the states...sounds more...ummm...marketable"

We completely loved Italy. Stayed in Florence and traveled to Rome and Sienna. When we retire with our lottery millions we'll have a villa near Sienna to house my collection of Ferraris and Ducatis. And my wife's collection of Prada shoes! Both collections of equal value of course.

When you're back in NZ I bet you'll have plenty of 'wheeling to do and the ARB/OME folks are right on the next island!

Good luck in your KJ search!

'13 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, Trasharoo, Husky liners, Skid Row plates, Ursa Minor J30, Expedition One rear bumper & tire carrier, Rugged Ridge CB antenna mount, SuperStar 4900+ transceiver, iPad Mini with MotionX GPS.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

MojaveKJ wrote:
Suddenly, there is something very appealing to me about 'wheeling in Northern Ireland. :JEEPIN:

Welcome to LOST, you'll love it here. As we Americans say "it's chock full o' good stuff!". :pepper:

When my wife and I were in Italy I was surprised by how many KJs I saw. And I've always wondered just why the KJ is named the Liberty in the North American (and other?) markets but wears the Cherokee name in Europe. I would speculate that LIBERTY, a name that shouts AMERICAN (DAMM right mofo!), would not sell as well overseas, in 2002, as would a Jeep named oh...say...Cherokee.

And on the other side of the coin, I'd bet that DC got at least a few non-positive letters form actual Cherokee native Americans (who really should be honored, I'd love it if Jeep named a vehicle after the Anglos) about the use of their tribe's name to sell Jeeps and decided..."well, yeah, that new KJ...let's just call it.....Liberty in the states...sounds more...ummm...marketable"

We completely loved Italy. Stayed in Florence and traveled to Rome and Sienna. When we retire with our lottery millions we'll have a villa near Sienna to house my collection of Ferraris and Ducatis. And my wife's collection of Prada shoes! Both collections of equal value of course.

When you're back in NZ I bet you'll have plenty of 'wheeling to do and the ARB/OME folks are right on the next island!

Good luck in your KJ search!

it's nice to see people enthusiastic Italy

I think the name Cherokee in europe served to continue the tradition of good
sales of XJ

Yokohama geolandar AT-S 235/65r17

JBA Adjust-A-Strut 2.5"
JBA Upper A-arms

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:14 pm 
LOST Junkie

MojaveKJ wrote:
And I've always wondered just why the KJ is named the Liberty in the North American (and other?) markets but wears the Cherokee name in Europe. I would speculate that LIBERTY, a name that shouts AMERICAN (DAMM right mofo!), would not sell as well overseas, in 2002, as would a Jeep named oh...say...Cherokee.

I believe it was not changed to Liberty outside of North America because Subaru already had a model called Liberty outside of North America. Might be wrong, but I thought I read that somewhere.

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:54 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Welcome to the forum!

Eventually I'm changing my badges to the Euro Cherokee badges so if you ever debadge it let me know ;) hehe

I've been to both italy and ireland, and NZ really enjoyed them for their variety of people and terrain

Only requirement we have here is that you post lots of pictures ;) just a joke, but i'm sure everyone would love it

Welcome!!

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:53 am 
LOST Newbie

:D We found our KJ at last!! - 2007 Inferno Red CRD Sport, exactly what we were looking for (the one I mentioned in another post) from the Jeep dealer in Belfast. Paid the deposit over the phone on Friday and will complete the transaction this week. Dealer will ship it to a friend's place near London and we will fly over in ten days or so to pick it up and drive back. 1,500km for us to get to know the KJ pretty well (even if only on the highway). And so the adventure begins............... :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:08 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Congratulations!! :D :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :BANANA: :BANANA: :BANANA: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :JEEPIN: :JEEPIN: :JEEPIN: :JEEPIN: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

'13 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, Trasharoo, Husky liners, Skid Row plates, Ursa Minor J30, Expedition One rear bumper & tire carrier, Rugged Ridge CB antenna mount, SuperStar 4900+ transceiver, iPad Mini with MotionX GPS.