It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thomasville Ga DIESEL owner
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Greetings from Thomasville, Ga (just north of Tallahassee, FL)
I have had a CRD since December.. and have several questions... Gonna dive into the FAQ and search features tonight, but here is a list of my troubles/questions, if for no other reason than to keep track of them myself. Please, if you know where one might be answered, tell me!

1. Alternator Clutch: Making lots of noise and bent slightly, why is there a clutch here?
2. ORM (unplugging air sensor) is this safe to do on-road if emissions are of no concern?
3. How the @&$$! do I make the doors stop locking when I get over 15 MPH? I can not stand this... My wire cutters are standing by.
4. On more than two occasions, the automatic transmission has choked the engine down when coming to a stop. The best way I can describe it is think of a manual transmission vehicle being stopped without pushing in the clutch. It even lurches forward.
5. It got stuck in Part-time 4WD for two days, then fixed itself as I was driving to a mechanic. The lever moved freely, but making turns on pavement assured me it was in locked 4WD.

Again, I don't expect answers to all these in the intro forum, but if you know, tell me! Otherwise, I'll post them each in there proper locations.

--John Clark

Post subject: Re: Thomasville Ga DIESEL owner
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:04 am 
LOST Member

Welcome to the forum John. :JEEPIN:

I'm with you on the 15 mph thing. That just seems crazy. I have yet to find a signle person that can give me a logical reason for this feature. It makes no sense! :banghead: On my KK there is a setting in the EVIC to turn that off as well as many other annoying "features." I'm not sure if your CRD is the same but there is a passage in the owner's manual for mine on how to turn this off. If you don't have the owner's manual, it can be downloaded from the Jeep site if you go to the Owners section. The direct link to the manual area is http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/manuals/index.html. I hope this helps. You don't have to live with it. :BANANA:

1999 Wrangler Sahara
2" Teraflex lift with flexarms, ARB air lockers Front/Rear, Skid Plates, BFG 31x10.50 ATKOs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:36 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Howdy John Welcome to LOST

1) Decoupler puller is due to 2 power strokes per revolution - it allows the mass of the alternator to continue revolving, and yeah it wears out, it can be replaced.
2) the ORM is an Off Road Mod because it disables a Federally mandated emission control - however these are Jeeps - and several folks have run off road for extended periods without problems, but with improved mileage.
3) no idea - it may be in the Owners Manual - although the 'disable horn honk on lock' has never worked for me - or the 2 dealerships I told to fix it.
4) check fluid level warm - other options are filters need to be replaced (there a drainback valve that leaks) or pump pressure (there was a new style pump).
5) The 242 transfer case is very,very sensitive to mismatched tires. If there's any difference in tire wear, pressure, manufacturer (even on the same size) - the lever will push against the spring and the spring will push against the gear - but the gear will not engage (or disengage if it did engage)

Those are off the top of my head - you'll get more indepth answers over in the forums - CRD specific in the CRD (there are some CRD folks who never venture into the general)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:00 pm 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

Welcome!

Mods:Exterior: Frankenlift + 2 extra rear iso, JBA UCAs, ARB Bumper w/XRC8, Safari Snorkel, 265/75/16 AT, Mopar Skids, Boulderbars, RL Gecko Sport Rack
Interior: Infinity Reference speakers, 12" Alpine Type R Sub, Alpine radio, Gauge Pods (Oil, Volts), Cobra Cb, All J Interior Rack

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:05 pm 
LOST Member

Welcome

Im near Tifton we should get together sometime!

2011 LTZ CrewCab Z71 4x4 Silverado.
Steel Green Metallic.
2" Leveling Kit.
33" Mastercraft A/T-2
Ranch Hand Grille Guard.
Black Low Profile Kobalt Tool Box.
Front & Rear Huskey Liners.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks guys for the warm welcome, and answers!
I've done a lot more reading, and I'm working on the Jeep today, so I'll update later on.

Mag03kj - know any mechanics or friendly dealerships nearby that have a computer (and knowledge) to talk to the CRD??
I found out that my door locking issue can only be programmed out by a computer. The Thomasville dealer said "Its a safety feature and we would not disable it even if we could." WTF?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:17 pm 
LOST Member

jrcstudios wrote:
Thanks guys for the warm welcome, and answers!
I've done a lot more reading, and I'm working on the Jeep today, so I'll update later on.

Mag03kj - know any mechanics or friendly dealerships nearby that have a computer (and knowledge) to talk to the CRD??
I found out that my door locking issue can only be programmed out by a computer. The Thomasville dealer said "Its a safety feature and we would not disable it even if we could." WTF?

Ask him to explain how locking your doors at 15 mph provides any safety. Is somebody going to break into your car while you are driving down the road at 15 mph... but they wouldn't do it at 14 mph? If he gives you an answer, ask him to explain it. Keep going until he admits he has no idea.

Also what does he mean by we wouldn't disable it even if we could. It seems to me that it is your Jeep, not his.

Anyway, have fun with your new Jeep even if it is too "safe." :wink:

1999 Wrangler Sahara
2" Teraflex lift with flexarms, ARB air lockers Front/Rear, Skid Plates, BFG 31x10.50 ATKOs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
....what does he mean by we wouldn't disable it even if we could. It seems to me that it is your Jeep, not his....

I assume he is too worried that I'll sue him after disabling a safety device if I get carjacked..
Just like I'm going to sue the oversize tire manufactures if my Jeep ever rolls over. :roll:
You should have seen the look on his face when I told him as I was leaving "It IS possible to disable the auto door-locks, I have a set of wire clippers at home." And I do mean that, if I can't figure out how to program it out of the BCM, then the BCM is going to loose its rights to control the doors and I'll just install my own keyless entry with remote engine start..

And I am loving the Jeep (even though it is really my wife's toy) It just has to go through the customization process to be comfy.. (and if it didn't need working on, she wouldn't let me drive it!!)

UPDATE: I cleaned my MAP sensor (yuk) and did the mods to keep it clean today, still trying to find the source for a decoupler pulley for the alternator, the local starter/alternator guy sold me a straight pulley and said that he sees no reason to have the decoupler... Not believing that yet, especially since I still have a high-pitched squeak at low RPMs.. its either the belt slipping at the alt. or the AC compressor wearing out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I had a high pitched squeal at low RPMs when i was stopped and idling. heres my post on it.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=50728

06 CRD
OME HD w/clevis top plate
JBA 4.5 UCAs
245/75/16r Goodyear Duratrax
Fumoto Valve, V6 ABM
Rock Lizard Super Skinks
Cobra 75 WX ST
ECO GDE tune, 2.5 straight piped
ProVent, Samcoed
Non F37ed TCM
DieHard P1