It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New CRD owner here
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:01 am 
LOST Newbie

Hey all picked up an 05 CRD a few weeks ago. Thanks to everyone that has posted all the great info about the CRD's. The info has been very heelpful. It's got 155k on it and looks and runs great. Getting ready for a road trip with my cousin to NC-TX-UT-CO... To quote Captain Ron "If anything is going to happen , it's going to happen out there."

Post subject: Re: New CRD owner here
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:16 pm 
LOST Addict

lol Captain Ron. I need to watch that movie again! Congrats and I hope that nothing happens. Might want to pick up a spare fuel filter, change the oil, and do the ORM for the trip. Could be a ticking time bomb if the EGR has always been active...

Drive it gentle and good luck :JEEPIN:

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

Mountainman wrote:
lol Captain Ron. I need to watch that movie again! Congrats and I hope that nothing happens. Might want to pick up a spare fuel filter, change the oil, and do the ORM for the trip. Could be a ticking time bomb if the EGR has always been active...

I just changed the fuel filter today and the oil yesterday. I have the GDE eco tune but have not used it. I m having the transmission fluid/filters long with the transfer case and diffs changed at the dealer Monday. I also replaced the map sensor and it was fugly. Yea drive in gentle for sure. I have a buddy in Texas that has one and has done on the EGR deletes. I m gonna swing by and we are going to check mine out.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:54 pm 
LOST Addict

good deal, yeah throw some new rockers and ARP studs, timing set in ASAP and you will love it long-term. Too many people get one, and the engine self destructs soon after, and then they dump it at a huge loss.
I had one with only 88k, and it was fine until I tried to tow heavy, and a rocker collapsed. Fortunately a bad rocker usually isn't fatal, unless you keep driving it and it drops a valve :dead:

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

What are the symptoms of worn rockers? I m fairly capable of fixing stuff but have never taken the head off an engine so I don't think I will do it myself. I m going to see if the dealer can find out if the timing belt was replaced at 100k. Thanks again for the info. I figured I was going to have to put some money into it to keep it going. I got it for $6500. The good news is there is not much rust really and that's surprising here in CT with all the salt.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:15 pm 
LOST Addict

Brownrecluse wrote:
What are the symptoms of worn rockers? I m fairly capable of fixing stuff but have never taken the head off an engine so I don't think I will do it myself. I m going to see if the dealer can find out if the timing belt was replaced at 100k. Thanks again for the info. I figured I was going to have to put some money into it to keep it going. I got it for $6500. The good news is there is not much rust really and that's surprising here in CT with all the salt.

It's tough to feel any difference between worn rockers, but you can check your MAF values with one of the diagnostic tools. I wouldn't put a whole lot of faith in those however because the engine needs ARP head studs anyhow, and they are easy to change at the same time.

No need to pull the head, just the obnoxious valve cover. Then you can do the ARP's one for one, unless you already have a bad HG leak, then you'd need to pull the head, resurface it and add new gasket. The only technically challenging bit is setting up the timing, but it's not too bad. Mostly it's a tremendous cleaning effort (injector ports and intake) and a good bit of disassembly, and stubborn or hard to access bolts (add Weeks intake kit).

The parts for the whole thing runs about $1300. Contact Geordi if you want an expert to do the work. Don't let a dealership or mechanic that hasn't worked on at least a few of these engines touch it, or you'll be sorry :2cents:

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

more good info sir thank you. I m sure I can manage the valve cover.. we have a full shop at work and people with more experience than me. Yea I m not letting anyone touch the engine that has never worked on em. The used car place I got if from was trying to fix a CEL code po101 I think. They kept trying to clean and then replaced the MAF sensor.. Just by reading these forums I found the problem could be the MAP sensor. It was.. I replaced and the CEL has been off for over 100 miles. I also added a can of seafoam and some MMO to the fuel. I was going to fix up my 01 forester but found too much rust in the frame to make it worth it. still runs great. Now I have a new vehicle to play with.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

Mountainman wrote:

The trip was a success. Got about 25 mpg when I drove nice on the highway loaded down with lots of stuff and a full roof rack. Only issue was a blown inter cooler hose. Some duct tape got me the last 700 miles to home. Replaced with the samco hoses.