It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I was referred to you good people
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

It's true! JeepKJ Forum said I should check this site out. I recently bought a 2006 KJ CRD with 126,000 miles from a private owner. My adult son is so proud and happy with my purchase. Me? I know nothing about diesels and am driving on eggshells. So far, so good but I need to know what problems I need to watch for. Also, maintenance I need to do. The previous owner had new windshield, brakes, etc. I have no idea when the timing belt was done. Printed out the 400 page manual for bedtime reading.

I live in Sisters, Oregon and the rig came from the Willamette Valley. Big difference in climates. So, any tips there as well? Running it on snows with maybe next season left on them.

This is my first diesel. My previous vehicles included a 1995 Cherokee with 238,000 miles, two very creaky doors and some undercarriage issues. I loved her anyway! Before that was a 1997 Wrangler 5 speed that I miss just as much but sold in 2014. Both were Inline 6s. Then there was the 1995 Wrangler that had an axle issue I inherited unknowingly and, before that, a 1992 4 cylinder Wrangler that started me down the Jeep road ten years ago.

So, I'm a cautious owner right now. I want to fall in love with this vehicle but, so far, I still pine for the Cherokee. Any tips on my emotional issues as well?

Thanks for listening!

Post subject: Re: I was referred to you good people
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:29 pm 

Welcome aboard!!! :wink:
In the "User Control Panel" you can add your vehicle info to your signature and you can also add your location to your avitar.. This will help others in the future when they need answer questions!

First thing: READ THE NOOB GUIDE!!!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=54207

Then ask any questions you might have.
You also need to find out the service history if possible, i.e. dealer, prev. owner, etc..
You need to find out when the timing belt was last changed! VERY IMPORTANT!!!!

If it has not been changed or you cannot find out, it needs to be done ASAP.
Your belt, if OEM, is 10 years old with 126k on it and could break any time and do all kinds of damage to the engine. It is an interference engine, meaning if it gets out of time, i.e. belt breaks, etc, the valves will contact the pistons and break things!!! Not trying to scare you, but this is very important!!! :roll:

Love my Jeep Liberty, rather drive it than anything else I own including a new Nissan Pathfinder. Have owned a Jeep Cherokee in the past, but like the Liberty better!!! :-)r

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

Good morning!
It's snowing here and I have time to reply as business is slow. Thank you for your advice on the Liberty. I was able to contact the previous owner who said, "I have not replaced the timing belt. Sounds like a good idea."

Really? I figured that maybe this guy knew it was due for replacement at 90k but just ignored it until I came along at 136k? Or, maybe he didn't know much about diesels. I did find the engine block cord zip tied in place -- never used.

In any case, I have the vehicle at my local, reliable mechanic shop. I wouldn't drive it home after reading your reply. I do want to take care of it and understand more about this diesel stuff. Fortunately, Jeremy, the local, reliable mechanic, has worked on that engine before but "not in a Liberty". I have full confidence in his expertise and I have HIGH hopes that this won't cost me more than $600 (his low estimate).

So, thank you!!!! Who knows, when I get her back, I'll do some 4WD in the snow and the sadness of missing my Cherokee Princess will fade.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:07 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Welcome to Lost!
Sounds like the start of a new long-term relationship :JEEPIN: :rockon:

I bought my marshmallow in Redding in need of serious major surgery, and is still being straightened and assembled in Klamath Falls. Although the last couple days no work has been done on the Liberty as we're trying to get some HEAT in this shop!

Hope it all goes well for you, and if your mechanic gets stumped on anything there, the people here will have your back.

Best wishes

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

Post subject: Update -- I was referred to you good people
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

Good afternoon, all!

I have my Liberty back from the awesome folks at Rollins Auto in Sisters. They replaced the timing and serpentine belts AFTER they informed me that it looked like the belt was replaced sometime before the previous and clueless owner bought it. So, I assumed that may have occurred at 90,000 miles. Whew! I told them to go ahead and do the belts. This may have been a bit early but, hey, they already were in there. Now I know she should be good for the next 90k.

Sadly, the job cost me $750 total. That's not bad but let's just say that 'Santa' took a hit to her Christmas budget.

Now, I drive in confidence. Had an awesome time in full time 4-wheel during our dumping of 2-feet of snow last week. Thanks to all of you for the sound advice.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:53 pm 

Any questions or need advice in the future, just ask, there are some very good experienced people on this forum always willing to help or advise if needed.... :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:42 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Good to see you made it over here

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:17 am 
LOST Newbie

tommudd wrote:
Good to see you made it over here

Thanks! I like your quote: A Jeep's not yours until you drill a hole in it.

That should be on a T-Shirt. Or a bumper sticker at the very least. :-)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:51 am 
LOST Newbie

I understand most everything I read but I may need help.