It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new from Canada
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi all,

I joined here a while back, but as the Liberty we had at the time developed a catastrophic engine seizure, I didn't even post.

Well, I'm back now....2006 CRD Limited. Got a good deal on it, with the ABS, ESP and Traction Control lights on, plus the check engine light. Everything else checked out, and I only paid $2250 CAD for it, so it seems like a good deal for 253,000km on it. Drives decent, 27mpg.

Looking forward to doing some research on these, and hoping to keep it for the rest of it's life. :) Feel free to pass on any MUST DO stuff for me....definitely not my first jeep (third Liberty) but my first CRD.

Post subject: Re: new from Canada
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:52 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Your new Jeep looks beautiful!
best place to start reading IMO is Here http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=54207
Since you're familiar with all the Jeep-y stuff, we'll skip that.

In the short time I've been owner of a CRD and following all related issues closely, it seems that the number 1 CRD issue is catastrophic engine failure from EGR emissions system, #2 would be fuel supply problems, followed by electrical.

If the EGR / Flow Control Valve system is still present and operating, fix that right away. The crankcase ventilation system introduces atomized motor oil vapor into the intake system right in front of the turbo. It then goes through the Charge Air Cooler, and through a valve where it's mixed with exhaust gases, and becomes essentially fine tarmac going right back through the engine again. The ultimate solutions to both problems are available. Sasquatch Parts sells the Weeks 1-2 system that removes the egr system completely. I highly recommend it. If money is a limiting factor in this, at least make a block-off plate that seals the exhaust system from the intake.
The solution for the vaporized oil being introduced to the turbo is a Provent or similar catch can system, that coalesces and separates the oil from the air coming out of the crankcase, but still allows the vacuum from the pre-turbo intake to pull the crankcase gasses out through the "puck" valve, and bring cleaned air back to the pre-turbo port, and the separated oil to be drained away.

If you rig is currently running and driving as good as it looks, If I were in your position knowing what I know now, I would start with an In-Tank lift pump mod. This will stop all the little ongoing air-in-fuel issues. The Jeep already has a fused circuit and relay in place, and wiring for the pump to the connector under the rear left seat. There are now plug and play looms at Sasquatch Parts, if you're uncomfortable rewiring plugs, etc. The In-tank modules are from any dodge full size with a Cummins diesel, and can obtained from any wrecking yard that has the like if you're a price shopper. Sasquatch Parts and IDparts both have the modules new.
For further insurance I also recommend a spin - on fuel filter that is much finer than stock. Even though Jeep says the mopar filter they use can stop 3 micron particles, what they don't tell you is that when in use, particularly if you're off road, it does well to stop even 20 micron particles.

AS far as electrical, Start at the battery and the power distribution center behind the left headlight. Make sure all fuses, relays and connectors are clean and tight. Then get a list of ground point locations, and go through them all cleaning and tightening, and some kind of corrosion prohibitory stuff. There are threads on known pinch and problem points to check as well, such as behind the fuel head bracket, and between the intake manifold and the alternator / bracket etc.

There are many more good mods, such as ARP studs replacing head bolts, but I think these are the high priority ones more likely to be an "eminent threat" to your CRD's health, and preventive measures in this case are much easier on the pocket than repairs to something that's failed.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 5:43 am 
LOST Newbie

Hey there and welcome to the forums! Your jeep looks awesome, and it was definitely worth it for the price you mentioned. I hope you enjoy your new ride! Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the welcome guys. So far, she seems to be running fine. I haven't had a chance to do anything to it yet, but I have noticed that the EPS, ABS and Traction Control lights are usually not on when I first drive it, but after a good hard bump in the road they come on - has to be a loose connection, and that's a good problem to fix!

I've also noticed that the air box has a crack on the clips on the back....nothing fatal, but it's going to need fixed too. Cruise light comes on, but doesn't activate....need to check the vacuum on that.

GordnadoCRD - thanks for the info regarding the EGR, in-tank lift pump, and electrical. Now with regards to the EGR, all of that makes good sense in the realm of prevention. However, she has 254,000km (158,000 miles) on it. What do I need to do for maintenance/repair/cleaning in regards to the EGR? I am assuming that I should pull the intake and check for caking?

Also, there is a noticeable black exhaust from the vehicle when the engine is under even a minimum incline load - possibly running too rich?

Thanks for all the help! :JEEPIN:

PS. Green Diesel Engineering - that will get rid of the EGR, correct?

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:52 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
As I understand, GDE tunes will disable the EGR/FCV electronically. But since the contraption is still there, there is still the risk of both exhaust gasses leaking through, and intake boost pressure being lost through to the exhaust. The only way to completely eliminate the problem is to install a block-off plate, or just physically remove the entire mess, and replace it with the Weeks 1&2 system from Sasquatch parts.

As far as mileage, If you don't have an evidence-backed record of the Timing belt being changed, I would bump that to the very top of the list. AS I understand it, anything past 120k miles (200,000 km), and you're running on pure luck. With the CRD, if that breaks, you're looking at another catastrophic engine failure, where valves are introduced to pistons in a highly inappropriate fashion.
Those need to be changed (along with roller guides and tensioner and Water pump) every 75k to 80k miles to minimize this risk.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

GordnadoCRD wrote:
As I understand, GDE tunes will disable the EGR/FCV electronically. But since the contraption is still there, there is still the risk of both exhaust gasses leaking through, and intake boost pressure being lost through to the exhaust. The only way to completely eliminate the problem is to install a block-off plate, or just physically remove the entire mess, and replace it with the Weeks 1&2 system from Sasquatch parts.

Understood, that makes perfect sense. However, I'm still wondering....do I need to get in there and do some maintenance for the previous 158,000 EGR miles that have been putting soot into the engine? Besides the intake, is there other repairs that need to be done from previous EGR damage?

Quote:
As far as mileage, If you don't have an evidence-backed record of the Timing belt being changed, I would bump that to the very top of the list. AS I understand it, anything past 120k miles (200,000 km), and you're running on pure luck. With the CRD, if that breaks, you're looking at another catastrophic engine failure, where valves are introduced to pistons in a highly inappropriate fashion.
Those need to be changed (along with roller guides and tensioner and Water pump) every 75k to 80k miles to minimize this risk.

Right, I should have mentioned that I am aware of the timing belt issue. Luckily, I have the insurance and registration copies of the previous owners who I will try to track down (the immediate PO only had it 8 months, wasn't suitable for towing, and as 8 months ago would have put it in September, beginning of winter here, I doubt he did much towing - it's very early spring now).

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:44 pm 

Welcome aboard!
As others have iterated too; Timing belt replacement is number one and should be addressed first and foremost! If it breaks or slips a few teeth, things get ugly real fast, and $ goes up exponentially!
Next is getting rid of EGR system and FCV to ensure NO Soot can enter the intake manifold. Either an EGR block off plate or Weeks elbow kit.
No tune can 100% guarantee complete elimination of EGR soot entering the intake, only an EGR block off plate or Weeks kit can ensure this... :wink:
:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:48 am 
LOST Newbie

dunl wrote:
Hi all,

I joined here a while back, but as the Liberty we had at the time developed a catastrophic engine seizure, I didn't even post.

Well, I'm back now....2006 CRD Limited. Got a good deal on it, with the ABS, ESP and Traction Control lights on, plus the check engine light. Everything else checked out, and I only paid $2250 CAD for it, so it seems like a good deal for 253,000km on it. Drives decent, 27mpg.

transfers Amiens
Looking forward to doing some research on these, and hoping to keep it for the rest of it's life. :) Feel free to pass on any MUST DO stuff for me....definitely not my first jeep (third Liberty) but my first CRD.

Me too, I m from Canada, nice to know you :)