It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello from Colorado Springs | Just bought a CRD KJ!
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi everyone!

I just bought a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Sport. I had been in the market for a responsible vehicle for Colorado. I had just PCS'd (USAF) from Las Vegas, and my other car is a lowered RB25DET swapped Nissan 240sx (S14). Since my wife was getting tired of me bugging her to use her Mazda CX5 anytime I needed some ground clearance I decided the CRD was the vehicle for me.

This is my first Jeep, diesel and American made car that I have ever owned. I didn't think inexpensive 4x4, turbo diesel and good fuel millage could be used in the same sentence until my friend told me about his CRD. I had mistakenly thought the Libby was a lifter FWD Neon disguised as a small SUV. The more I talk to 2 of my friends that owned CRDs the more I became interested, and it happened to be that one of my friends was thinking about selling it a few months later.

Fast forward to present day. I bought my friends CRD. Last weekend I flew to Las Vegas and drove the Jeep back to Colorado Springs. I just learned to fly fish and I am working on starting a aerial photo business so I had my fly rod and drone with me to hit some places up on the way back to fly fish and fly the drones.

The Jeep rocked climbing through passes and hitting the occasional dirt trails. It was a great trust exercise for a vehicle I plan on keeping for a long time.

As bought the Jeep is equipped with the following:
-Rockfather delux lift
-GDE eco tune (non full torque)
-Upgraded TC (going to get the hot tune soon)
-Upgraded Tranny work by 2 owners ago, last owner did not know what was exactly done, but the tranny is supposed to be able to handle way more power than stock... I plan on tracking the owner and shop down to see what all was done ASAP
-aftermarket American Racing style wheel with BFG K0s tires
-some kind of rear tire mount that moves the spar further away from the body, guessing for larger tires. Looks odd with a stockish offset/width tire
-Trimmed stock front bumper

Extra Goodies that came with the jeep:
-Two extra matching wheels and tires
-Two extra front left CV shafts, one used and one NIB

Maintenance History:
-147K miles
-Front prop shaft replaced after failure
-Head rebuilt, timing belt changed somewhere around 100K
-Driver side CV axle swapped out for a shorter one???? see below...

Things I need to fix: (Ive read the CRD Noob Guide, its awesome!)
-Drive-train rumble. Looks like the prior owner had plans to get an ARB front bumper but never did, but he had installed the OME springs desgned for the weight of the bumper installed anyway. The springs for the heavier front bumper may be keeping the front too high and causing the CV axle to hyper extend... correct springs will be ordered soon. The rumble is almost non existent with less than a half tank of fuel and very noticeable above 3/4 tank and while accelerating especially up hill. This makes me think it is an over extended failing CV shaft, my idea thinking the extra weight on the rear is lifting the nose up, further flexing the CV joint to its limits. I've been reading the drive-line noise thread and the clues point to a CV joint issue.

-Prior owner said that for some reason a shop said that the driver side cv axle had to be even shorter to accommodate the lift :shock: not sure where this thought came from, or if they were confusing that the CRD driver side shaft is just shorter because the front diff is shifted left. but on the the drive back the CV inner boot popped off, so I'm going to replace it ASAP to see if it fixed the rumble.

-CEL(P0671) for possible glow plug failure. Popped up today and I cleared it to see if it comes back over the weekend.

I'm learning a lot real quick on this Jeep thanks to this forum. I hope to contribute some trip content as I get this cool little Jeep back to 100% working order.

Sorry for the long post...

-Daryl

Post subject: Re: Hello from Colorado Springs | Just bought a CRD KJ!
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:27 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Greetings, and Welcome!

It seems like you've stepped into this relationship in a somewhat well informed and logical way.

It may help if you think of her as a hot and fun, but high maintenance girlfriend, one accustomed to regular $maintenance$, and prone to expensive tantrums if said expected maintenance is much belayed.

Best of luck, and looking forward to more photos!

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:56 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks Gornado!

Yeah when it comes to my cars I don't mind high maintenance if it means having a fun capable vehicle.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:39 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Welcome to LOST

as far as the front suspension, you have a well not loved much front setup in the RRO
I have done a lot of lifts on KJs and know pretty much what works / what doesn't
For the CRD I recommend the 790 fronts ( stock is 410, OME 790s are 500 , OME 927s are 400 )
So while you may think the springs are too much, its more likely that setup with the RRO OTT spacer that is giving you issues
Plus the fact that you can't lift the CRDs as much.
The CRDs I have done here all used 790 front springs with a 3/8 inch clevis and jeepinbyal upper control arms. Over 3 inches of lift but no issues with CVs etc

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:35 am 
LOST Newbie

Welcome to the LOST forums! I hope you have a great stay here! Also, your ride looks great :) and thanks for posting all the stuff that you've modded on the car. Keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:50 am 
LOST Newbie

tommudd wrote:
Welcome to LOST

as far as the front suspension, you have a well not loved much front setup in the RRO
I have done a lot of lifts on KJs and know pretty much what works / what doesn't
For the CRD I recommend the 790 fronts ( stock is 410, OME 790s are 500 , OME 927s are 400 )
So while you may think the springs are too much, its more likely that setup with the RRO OTT spacer that is giving you issues
The CRDs I have done here all used 790 front springs with a 3/8 inch clevis and jeepinbyal upper control arms. Over 3 inches of lift but no issues with CVs etc

Thanks pacaba. And thanks tommudd for the advice! Pm inbound.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:32 am 
LOST Newbie

pacaeba wrote:
Welcome to the LOST forums! I hope you have a great stay here! Also, your ride looks great :) and thanks for posting all the stuff that you've modded on the car. Keep up the good work!

Awesome pic. Would make a great desktop background. Oh yeah and nice car!

Last edited by EliseoV on Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:07 am 
LOST Newbie

Habu_FPV wrote:
I just bought a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Sport. I had been in the market for a responsible vehicle for Colorado. I had just PCS'd (USAF) from Las Vegas, and my phenq where to buy other car is a lowered RB25DET swapped Nissan 240sx (S14). Since my wife was getting tired so of me bugging her to use her Mazda CX5 anytime I needed some ground clearance I decided the CRD was the vehicle for me.

I too bought a Jeep Liberty CRD Sport, but 2005. It's a great fun vehicle with good ground clearance. Will post pics when the paint job is over.

Last edited by GuyRoot on Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

GuyRoot wrote:
Habu_FPV wrote:
I just bought a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Sport. I had been in the market for a responsible vehicle for Colorado. I had just heard about d bal max PCS'd (USAF) from Las Vegas, and my other car is a lowered RB25DET swapped Nissan 240sx (S14). Since my wife was getting tired of me bugging her to use her Mazda CX5 anytime I needed some ground clearance I decided the CRD was the vehicle for me.

I too bought a Jeep Liberty CRD Sport, but 2005. It's a great fun vehicle with good ground clearance. Will post pics when the paint job is over.

I have two Jeeps, but Liberty CRD Sport is my favorite. Apart from ground clearance, I enjoy feeling her power while driving.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:16 am 
LOST Newbie

MichaelWiggins wrote:
GuyRoot wrote:
Habu_FPV wrote:
I just bought a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Sport. I had been in the market for a responsible vehicle for Colorado. I had PCS'd (USAF) from Las Vegas, https://naturaltestosteroneboosters.co/andro-400/ and my other car is a lowered RB25DET swapped Nissan 240sx (S14). Since my wife was getting tired of me bugging her to use her Mazda CX5 anytime I needed some ground clearance I decided the CRD was the vehicle for me.

I have two Jeeps, but Liberty CRD Sport is my favorite. Apart from ground clearance, I enjoy feeling her power while driving.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:39 am 
LOST Newbie

Habu_FPVs wrote:
tommudds wrote:
Welcome to LOST

For the CRD I recommend legal steroids for muscle growth the 790 fronts ( stock is 410, OME 790s are 500 , OME 927s are 400 )

Thanks pacaba. And thanks tommudd for the advice! Pm inbound.

Replacement and Performance Parts for 05-06 Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD and 2016+ Colorado/Canyon 2.8L Duramax.

Last edited by redzone42 on Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:16 am 

redzone42 wrote:
Replacement and Performance Parts for 05-06 Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD and 2016+ Colorado/Canyon 2.8L Duramax.

These are two of the better known sources,
IDParts Parts
and
Sasquatch Parts

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT