It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to jeep kk 2011 limited 3.6L 70th anniversary model.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi all,

I just bought a KK 2011 with 160kmi in great condition with the exception of the sky slider.
It has been screwed down at the four corners with a drywall screw. And it has leaked a good bit and stained the headliner.
It was a steal at $4,000.00

I am pretty good at repairing just about anything so I plan on doing a repair to the roof or seeing how hard it would be to abandon it in place.

Since I am a amateur radio operator I do a lot of service at tower sites out in the woods and most of the sites are poorly lit
My last vehicle was a chevy equinox that I put on almost 1200wats of LED bar lights around the luggage racks.
With all of them on it was drawing only about 10A.
So it could just sit there idling for hours and not drain the battery or strain the alternator.

I have a 40" X 60" Rhino safari rack and plan on putting that on the KK but it doesn't have a roof rack system.
Normally I would just fab something out of some angle aluminum but I want it to look good and finish it flat black.

I was looking at at the helm fabrications roof rack must for KK sky sliders but all of their stuff comes unfinished.
And I still would have to fab something to connect it to the Rhino rack.

But I will have to figure out if I am going to fix the sky slider. If I do I will have to take in account how far up the roof fabric accordions up when it is retracted.
Now if I deem that it is not worth fixing and abandon in place. I will also see how much wind noise the roof rack will cause in the cabin. and make a way to adjust the hight from the roof surface to see where it will have the lowest amount of noise at highway speeds.

If I figure out all the above then have a doppler direction finder system with a antenna array I want to mount on the back of the rack.
And on the front a 2m/70cm antenna and a 2m 5/8wave antenna on a mortised pivot mount so it can lay down just incase I have to park in a low clearance area or go off-roading with low branches.

In the near future I would like to do other mods I have seen other do to their jeeps.
Like a off road front and rear bumper.
A slight lift of no more than 3 inches. would love to be able to be a lift system to operate from the cab. So I can lower it to have street performance and raise it for off road.

Add air compressor and a small water supply. to clean off gear before putting it in the jeep.
Don't mind the outside of the jeep getting muddy. but not the inside if possible.