It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Greetings all...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

Greetings from the biggest little state of Rhode Island. Just acquired my first CRD (2005) but not my first diesel.. Read the
Noob guide several times in the past week...plus many other very informative bits of info here. Very glad to have found this group. Many thanks to the CRD Tech authors for the huge amount of truly valuable info available here. Looking fwd to contributing to the body of info as my own experience increases with this machine. Thanks once again !

Post subject: Re: Greetings all...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:43 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Greetings from the other side of the country.

Assuming you will eventually encounter the need to search for specific information, topics, etc., you will find google (or pretty much any other search method) much faster and more helpful than the in-forum search tool.

Good Luck, and enjoy your new addiction! It's one that many of us have grown to hate that we love them so much!

Here is my (opinion) CRD guide, (short version)

Standard (for reliability)
1) Lift pump (In Tank is best) Completely eliminates a long list of common problems, that together, amount to (arguably) the #1 cause of pissed off owners.
2) Provent (or similar as long as it works)
3) Weeks kits (Passes sniffer and opacity tests on healthy engines. Visual, IMO, depends on how much you flaunt it.)
Two and three together, completely eliminate the possibility of the asphalt-in-the-intake problem that causes (arguably) a very very close #2 cause of pissed off owners.

Recommended (Things that lean towards optimization and a bit of diminishing returns for your dollar, rather than fixing problems that should never have made it to the market.)
Keep in mind that these rigs are over a decade old, and anything (especially) involving electrical, insulation, plastic, or rubber, will have increasing exposure problems from heat, vibration, solvents, etc.
1) Good Thermostat, Healthy cooling system, Especially if you are leaning towards power-ups.
2) good thermal protection for sensors, wiring looms, etc edit - also check wiring looms everywhere they go behind something (fuel filter bracket) around something, or through something (behind alternator, above starter, etc) check for worn insulation, bare wires, etc and fix anything you find (pre-emptive strike) Or you could just wait till something happens and hunt it down then.
3) Fuel filter upgrade
4) ARP Studs
5) Silicone CAC hoses

Optional (power-ups and Fun-ups Things to do as time and money budget allows, depending on how you intend to use your CRD.)
1) Exhaust (On my list this was actually in highly recommended. Kind of depends on local statutes, or whether one licenses in CA)
2) ECM / TCM Tune
3) Torque converter (kind of goes along with #2) front pump, and any shifting mods desired.
4) Suspension / lift
5) Tires
6) Gearing / dif locks if needed / wanted.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:02 am 
LOST Newbie

Gornado,

Thank you very much for taking the time to outline your thoughts...much appreciated...immediately I know what you
are talking about with the forum search....

I actually bought this machine as a replacement for an '03 2.7L gasser that was my girlfriends car which just essentially now is a rustbucket - but it owes us nothing... Unfortunately, I thought the girlfriend would go along with the diesel gag but "it aint happening" - probably going to find another gasser for her, but I am keeping the CRD.

This one has 148K mi, timing belt done at 147 along with water pump. EGR no longer by blocking the FCV, also the brakes had been done at 147K...although I am not afraid to do a timing belt, I didn't want to do it in the winter... She runs very well. I did the EHM home-brew immediately. No smoke ever....nice torque.... Need to do a lift pump (as you suggest) and the thermostat just isn't keeping the engine warm enough, that's my next project. I was considering an in-line thermo mod (I know there's a recent post supporting it can't find it at the moment...) I also realize there's controversy with this... The fuel filter appears original but no weeping or indications of trouble but that is on the list as well. As you mention and my experience has shown, "pre-emptive striking" is a good idea. I have had far too much involvement with Mr. Murphy....

I've had several TDI's (98 Jetta at the moment). Have 98 Ram 2500 with the 5.9L. a 2004 3500 with Cummins and an 86
military M1028 CUCV with the 6.2 L. Just a simple, diesel oriented misanthrope...

Thanks once again for your valuable commentary.

Cheers !

Brown B.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:38 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Not that it's any of my business at all, but somehow it makes me happy that your CRD has come into the hands of someone who knows and appreciates Libertys, diesels, and has experience with modern CRD type. I was utterly unfamiliar with modern electronically controlled diesels when I bought mine, and it's been a steep learning curve.

New timing belt is a big plus, and new water pump with it, suggests it was done with eye towards PM rather than frugality. (not that there's anything wrong with that...)

This forum is, unusually, for the greatest part, normally in agreement with those who's experience is greatest in the particular area. Landmine subjects that tend to blow the apple cart to bits are few, but there are literally dozens, if not hundreds of threads centered around:

Motor Oil (and other fluids)
Aftermarket Thermostats (including in-line)
Elephant Hose Mod (unique to this particular CRD)

Nothing else quite approaches those. I recommend the search and read approach for those, as mostly all strongly weighed-in opinions have been stated many times, in many threads, and in great detail.

Happy reading!

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers