It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello from North Florida
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just purchased my First CRD Liberty,I’ve owned many Diesel VW Rabbits and quite a few Olde Cummins and Powerstroke Trucks.Looking forward to keeping this little Diesel in the family for many years and learn as much as I can and contribute when I can

Post subject: Re: Hello from North Florida
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:06 pm 

Dzldust wrote:
Just purchased my First CRD Liberty,I’ve owned many Diesel VW Rabbits and quite a few Olde Cummins and Powerstroke Trucks.Looking forward to keeping this little Diesel in the family for many years and learn as much as I can and contribute when I can

Welcome to the addiction!
First thing you need to do if you have not already done so is to read the NOOB guide. Some read and study it a several times.
A wealth of information for newbies!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=54207

Then ask any questions or concerns you may have! :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Post subject: Re: Hello from North Florida
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:11 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
After that, If you haven't already done so, get as much VERIFIABLE back-story as you can on your new rig. Particularly IF and WHEN and at what Mileage the timing belt was replaced. With your experience with diesels, you probably already know the importance of replacing parts at scheduled intervals BEFORE they fail, as it's very much cheaper than fixing things AFTER they fail. This one you really NEED to know, and if the info isn't available, it needs to be done ASAP.

Also find out as much as you can regarding what MODS have been (if) done, and what parts used. If you put those in your sig it helps greatly in how to address any weirdnesses or problems you are experiencing.

Opinions vary, so all I can offer you is my own :2cents: in dealing with the VM Motori CRD in the Jeep Liberty, based on my own personal experiences of the last couple years.

CRD guide, (short version)

Not required, but should be. (for reliability)
1) Lift pump (In Tank is best) Completely and permanently eliminates easily over half the drivability issues, common with this rig.
2) Provent (or similar, as long as it works)
3) Weeks kits (Passes sniffer and opacity tests on healthy engines. Visual too, IMO, depends on how much you flaunt it.)

Recommended (Things that lean towards optimization and a bit of diminishing returns for your dollar, rather than fixing problems that should never have made it to the market.)
1) Good Thermostat, Healthy cooling system, Especially if you are leaning towards power-ups.
2) good thermal protection for sensors, wiring looms, etc edit - also check wiring looms everywhere they go behind something (fuel filter bracket) around something, or through something (behind alternator, above starter, etc) check for worn insulation, bare wires, etc and fix anything you find (pre-emptive strike) Or you could just wait till something happens and hunt it down then.
3) Fuel filter upgrade (< 5 micrometer)
4) ARP Studs (best installed BEFORE head gasket fails)
5) Silicone CAC hoses and T-bolt clamps

Optional (power-ups and Fun-ups Things to do as time and money budget allows, depending on how you intend to use your CRD.)
1) Exhaust (On my list this was actually in highly recommended. Kind of depends on local statutes, or whether one licenses in CA)
2) ECM / TCM Tune
3) Torque converter (kind of goes along with #2) front pump, and any shifting mods desired.
4) Suspension / lift
5) Tires
6) Gearing / diff locks if needed / wanted.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set