It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hi! Can I come in? David from UK. Crd KK Cherokee MANUAL
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi Guys,

Stumbled into your site looking to confirm a cause of a water leak. Just bought a 2010 registered Cherokee (Liberty) which was actually built in 2008, so it had been sitting around on some dockside for 2 years.
One of the rarer manual diesels. Interesting to note that so far all the manual diesels I've seen over here have no sun roof (glass or otherwise). Much though I love a sun roof at least one less thing to go wrong.

Post subject: Re: Hi! Can I come in? David from UK. Crd KK Cherokee MANUAL
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Welcome DG. It sounds like you have a interesting combination of body and options. Curious if you have the same 2.8l CRD with variable geometry turbo that was used in 2005 and 2006 stateside. Any idea which manual transmission you have? There are only a few used in Jeeps that can handle the diesel torque. Likely a mercedes-sourced NSG370 if it's 6-speed.

Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:06 pm 
LOST Junkie

DG, Hi from Australia!
You are not alone on here being rom a non USA location!
The UK is a big source of spares for VM diesels & probably every one will appreciate your input.
My second KJ is a 2007 manual diesel. They have the 6 speed.
Your KK probably has the ENS engine with piezo injectors & many other things different to the KJ.
Neither of my KJ's have a sun roof.

I had a Saab years ago with a sun roof leak, fixed it by filling the main seal with silicone. The seal was hollow & had gone hard. By filling the hollow with silicone it expanded it a little & fixed the leak. Dont know if thats any use to you.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:15 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi dgeist and layback,
I've been told it is the 6 speed Merc box, well, I know it's 6 speed for certain, apparently made at the Merc Stuttgart factory.
I'm picking it up on Friday as the vendor I'm getting it from is working on a list of things I gave him to be corrected first. It's done 80k miles and is very clean. I can't wait to get into cleaning the egr and pcv components as I bet they've never been removed. I'll soon get familiar with it and work out which specific lump is in it. I've been browsing the various US web sites looking to see what goodies I can acquire. The prices aren't too bad but the shipping is ridiculous.

Thankfully as I've no sun roof it's not leaking but I have identified some of the leaks are via the roof rail and fixings. That's one of jobs they're doing for me. Where abouts in Oz are you? My mum emigrated to there back in the 70s and lived near surfers paradise.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:09 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Welcome to the CRD addiction.
I understand the attached things are different on the export engines, to accommodate the RH drive.
If you source aftermarket things from the states, just make certain they will work BEFORE ordering so you don't end up with return shipping costing more than an item you can't use.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:44 pm 
LOST Addict

GordnadoCRD wrote:
Welcome to the CRD addiction.
I understand the attached things are different on the export engines, to accommodate the RH drive.
If you source aftermarket things from the states, just make certain they will work BEFORE ordering so you don't end up with return shipping costing more than an item you can't use.

X2. I've ordered several parts from the UK that didn't work with the USA models. Luckily they were cheap seals and part of a bigger order of parts.

OP, Welcome to the forum!

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:20 pm 
LOST Junkie

DG FROM GB wrote:
Where abouts in Oz are you? My mum emigrated to there back in the 70s and lived near surfers paradise.

I am in the opposite end of Australia ~ Victoria.
Surfers is a good place for a holiday in the winter. A bit humid this time of the year.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

DG FROM GB wrote:
Hi dgeist and layback,
I've been told it is the 6 speed Merc box, well, I know it's 6 speed for certain, apparently made at the Merc Stuttgart factory.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/tr ... ual/nsg370

Because now that you're one of those nutty CRD guys, you need to know things like the torque rating of your transmission :)

Dan

Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your welcomes and comments. I'd love to upload some pics but I don't use an external host.
Are we crd guys "Nutty"? in which case I'll feel at home. At least when SHTF happens we can get around with cooking oil.

Regarding the difference between LDH and RHD, yes, I need to be careful, as do the guys from Oz as they're RHD also. There are plenty of common parts though, especially underneath. I also own a 97 JGC ZG (RHD version of ZJ) with the straight 6 4.0L and bought a climate control unit from the US which wouldn't work.

Regarding the roof leaking, apart from the vendor sorting the roof rail seams it is also showing small rust areas on the rear hatch between the hinges along the body seams. I've read here that some people cover it with sealant and after a while it comes back. That's because the rust between the sheets of steel at the joint hasn't been treated and continues to corrode and expand with moisture being fed from the inside behind the plastic trim at the rear of the roof lining. I'll be picking the car up at the end of the week and start stripping this area out and feed back what I've done.