It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: help timing belt self destructing twice
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

Help Please new here have major problem. I am a recent liberty crd owner and bought weeks stage 1 and 2 and installed them no issues. I also replaced the timing belt with a kit from ID parts I pinned the cams and flywheel at 3 oclock 90 degress after tdc replaced the water pump, idlers and tensioner. replaced the cam gears and belt set tension and started it up ran fine put outer cover back on and everything else back together filled water started and ran like crap. Smoke coming from belt area, tore it all apart again and all rockers were broken belt 3/4 gone rapped around the crank. ordered new rockers installed put new belt on made sure everything was correct timing was perfect ran great with outer cover off reinstalled everything started bang same exact thing happend tore all apart all rockers broken half the belt wrapped around crank. what is going on?

Solved: Can't believe I lost 2 sets of rockers and belts before figuring out the cause. I got the bolts that hold the harmonic balancer on mixed up with 4 bolts about 1/4 inch longer from the EGR delete
and because I put the front timing cover on I did not notice them directly interfering with the belt at the crank. Expensive little bolts.... Hopefully this helps someone in the future before they wreck the second set.