It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Diesel/Fuel pressure Problems
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi all. My name is Stanley, I have got a jeep liberty KJ 2.8L Turbo Diesel, 2003 model. The has a fuel pressure problem from the look of things, when you want to start it you would need a second person to be priming while cranking then is starts runs and drives smoothly at any speed. My question is besides the prim pun on the fuel holder does it have any other fuel pump. I opened the fuel tank just yesterday and there was no pump all i saw was some part with this part numberTKJ13930693. Thank you for any help.

Post subject: Re: Diesel/Fuel pressure Problems
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:49 am 
LOST Member

Welcome...where are you located?

Ideally you should report your problem in the Section "Liberty CRD Love That Torque"...you can do that later
The 2003 CRD was not available in the USA/Canada market but available as Export models here in South Africa, most of Europe and Australia.

None of the CRDs came with a fuel pump installed inside the tank or outside the tank although a lot of the wiring harness is in place there as Jeep obviously intended to install a pump but changed their mind.

This is quite a common complaint among CRD owners...my 2002 2.5L Export CRD has not suffered from this problem other than a clogged fuel filter and a leak in the low-pressure lines near to the filter head.

The early Export CRDs came out with a neat Raycor Filter head which tended to be more robust than the later USA/Canada models. A lot of the USA owners replaced their filter heads with a different type of Raycor filter.

The main cause of air entering the system is at the fuel line connectors at the fuel tank...these suck in air as the fuel is pulled forward by the large Bosch CP3 Pump up front which pressurises the fuel and directs it through though the fuel injectors. These Bosch CP3 Pumps are very robust!

So you need to check that the fuel filter is clean and fitted firmly.
You need to check for fuel leaks..very dangerous as regards the high-pressure areas as you cannot see the thin high pressure diesel and it can cut or blind you! Read the Service Manual.

The USA filter heads had a leaking Fuel Filter Heater Connector at the head which pulled air in...your model should not have this problem.

The manual tells you to pump the fuel head until the primer gets hard..I find that it is better to pump the primer until it gets hard and then briefly crack open the 13mm Brass nut nearby to let the fuel/air shoot out.

Most CRD owners end up fitting an internal pump inside the fuel tank or an inline-fuel pump outside the tank.

Your 2003 Export CRD does not need the fuel tank to be dropped in order to get access to the internals...you can lift up the carpet in the rear cargo area and undo the cover on top of the tank as you have found out!

Your 2003 Export CRD will probably have a fixed-vane turbo which does not have the EGR plate that other owners speak about.

Download the 2003 Jeep KJ Service Manual here...gives you theory of operation sections and Section 8w has the Wiring diagrams.

BUT while you download the manual also download the section "2_5 2_8 diesel" section which covers our old CRDs very well!

The site at http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com is an Australian Site with many owners of similar CRDs....well worth visiting! :wink:

http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/