It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: '05 KJ CRD in Southern Az
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi, I purchased an '05 KJ CRD to replace my '94 Dodge 2500 Cummins 3/4-ton 4x4 with a Kore suspension, 4.56 gears, and 37s. The truck is great, super reliable, and has a mechanical diesel (no computers, no common rail). I had cancer last year and found that I really don't want to be climbing into the big truck anymore so the CRD is the replacement. It won't be used for the extreme 'wheeling I used to do (that's an expensive hobby!) so mostly forest roads, grocery getting, some long distance travelling, maybe towing a trailer now and then.

Me and my DH have been diesel owners since 1992 and currently own '94, '91.5 Dodge trucks, a 1980 diesel Scout (4bt swap), and a 1989 Grand Wagoneer that's going to go under the knife and get a 4bt transplant pretty soon. We don't have much experience with common rail diesels though I did have fun with a '93 Jeep ZJ with a common rail for several years. The ZJ electrics were so bad I kept a full toolbox, multimeter, spare parts, and a service manual under the back seat at all times. So, I guess I could say that we are not newbies to the world of Jeep electrical systems.

Anyway the KJ I bought has the classic P0093 code, but after 15 years it appears that the fixes are well documented. So we will be getting into those first and then maybe some modifications later.

Linda

'89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer soon to be diesel

Post subject: Re: '05 KJ CRD in Southern Az
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:53 pm 

Welcome to the addiction! I see you already have a few diesels in your stable. :ROTFL:
If you have not read through Sam's NOOB guide, you should do so, it will provide you with a lot of very good information on this unique vehicle.
viewtopic.php?p=604519#p604519

Quote:
Other things to consider as time and money allows:
Below is a list supplied to a couple of other requester's on here previously, it is not all inclusive, but a good basic list of possibilities to consider... Searching on this forum, you can find informational threads on most all of these items along with the 'how to' instructions... Have any questions on any of them just ask, there are many great people on this forum more than willing to help and answer any question no matter now trivial.... :wink:

**Timing belt replacement should be number one if you have not done it or know if and / or when it was last done! Most replace the water pump as well when replacing the timing belt...this is an Interference Engine. Loss or slippage of a timing belt can and will cause internal engine damage including broken rocker arms, broken or bent valves, and sometime catastrophic engine failure. So it is not something to be ignored.
Broken or slipped timing belt repairs can get very expensive when considering replacement costs of damaged parts and labor... :roll:

Some good updates and mods worth considering as time and monies allow:
Below is a list supplied to a couple of other requester's on here previously, it is not all inclusive, but a good basic list of possibilities to consider... Searching on this forum, you can find informational threads on most all of these items along with the 'how to' instructions... Have any questions on any of them just ask, there are many great people on this forum more than willing to help and answer any question no matter now trivial.... :wink:

**Timing belt replacement should be number one if you have not done it or know if and / or when it was last done! Most replace the water pump as well when replacing the timing belt...
    1. **Replace timing belt /water pump (read above)
    2. Install In-tank fuel pump (eliminates all air in fuel problems)> http://www.auerbach.ca/kj/lift_pump/
    3. Install ProVent on CCV system (gets the oil out of the turbo inlet hose, turbo, boost hoses, and CAC)
    4. Install Secondary 2 micron fuel filter (protects expensive CP3 fuel injection pump and expensive fuel injectors)> viewtopic.php?f=98&t=80139&hilit
    5. Install Silicone Boots Hoses
    6. *Install Weeks elbow kit (removes EGR, EGR cooler, and FCV) > https://shop.sasquatchparts.com/product ... berty-crd/ See item #8
    7. Upgrade torque converter to Hemi or SunCoast TC (solves and TC shudder issues if installing performance tunes)
    8. DIY performance TUNE ($0 cost and available on this list in the CRD Tech section) > viewtopic.php?f=98&t=78418
    ......{a must do if you install the Weeks elbow kit to eliminate DTC's (check engine light) that will be present when you remove the EGR & FCV)
    9. *Remove CAT & choke point and put in straight piece of pipe (improves exhaust gas flow, lowers backpressure on turbo and improves turbo spool up response time)
    10. *Replace muffler with straight through performance muffler (same improvements as item #9)
    11. Rear shocks (You did not mention replacing them in your post!) {upgrade tires if needed}
    12. Check / replace upper and lower ball joints if needed, they wear out and can separate
    13. Service transmission, replace filters & fluid (use only ATF+4 transmission fluid)
    14. Install Magnefine in-line transmission fluid filter (filters and traps all micro fine metal particles and can be serviced without dropping transmission pan)> http://magnefinefilters.com/Magnefine-3 ... -R038M.htm
    15. Change engine oil / filter (install larger better quality filter)
    16. Replace: engine head bolts with ARP studs, rockers arms, and exhaust valves (ex. valves can break) {proactive engine failure prevention}

*Removal of the CAT and EGR valve totally may not be possible depending on your location and whether or not your vehicle has to endure an inspection. If it does there are some workarounds for both items to disable them completely but leave them in place for visual inspections purposes!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yes I have! It's a good starting point. The seller warned me about the P0093 problem. When I test drove it I managed to make it fail with the seller in the car. I'll bet he was thinking he was going to have a heart attack! Anyway it was easy to figure out it was simply fuel starvation. Knowing that I drove it home (70 miles) with a very light foot on the pedal and didn't have a problem. Anyway. the folks on this site have figured out the solution so --- thanks for all the hard work! :D I hate throwing money at a problem.

'89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer soon to be diesel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:53 pm 

p14175 wrote:
Yes I have! It's a good starting point. The seller warned me about the P0093 problem. When I test drove it I managed to make it fail with the seller in the car. I'll bet he was thinking he was going to have a heart attack! Anyway it was easy to figure out it was simply fuel starvation. Knowing that I drove it home (70 miles) with a very light foot on the pedal and didn't have a problem. Anyway. the folks on this site have figured out the solution so --- thanks for all the hard work! :D I hate throwing money at a problem.

The very first mod should be the intank fuel pump. Cures air in fuel problems for good.
http://www.auerbach.ca/kj/lift_pump/
:D

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch