It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New again member
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi All,
I happened upon another KJ after many years away, so I thought I'd jump in again. I picked up an 02 Limited 4x4 with leather and a sunroof that was listed as non-running on the cheap. When I went to check it out, it started up but ran badly. The seller said it would run sometimes, but then die and not re-start and he was tired of throwing parts at it. I got it home and tinkered with it, and found that the battery ground wire was so worn out and overtightened to the point of deformation, it was barely making contact. The stalling problem and not wanting to start went away with a new terminal. I ran some Techron and Marvel Mystery Oil through it and drove it around and it seems to run pretty good now. Aside from a ripped driver seat bottom, the interior is very clean and the AC blows freezing cold. The exterior is a little rougher with a lot of rock chips on top and minor scuffs and scrapes all around it. I did a decent looking repair to the rockers, but it was my first shot at bodywork, so I hope it holds:-). It did shine up decent with the buffer and looks great from 10 feet away and decent from 5 feet. Up close, it's a 19 year old, well worn Jeep.

It was a Northern vehicle so I had some crustiness to deal with underneath, so far I've done the rear upper/lower control arms. I've also done front rotors (they were very warped) and have a new front lower ball joints that I will be putting in shortly. Tires are bald, 3 different brands and one is 18 years old (looked like a spare, good tread and dryrotted). I have a set of 2019 JK wheels and tires with about 1900 miles on them that I am considering installing (with adapters), although the tires may be too big (245/75/17, has 235/70/17 now and doesn't rub, but not sure if it can handle another 1.5" diameter tire). If offset is an issue, I may put them on the current rims, but those are a bit crusty so hoping to use the prettier ones.

Funny thing is it's at the dealer now getting a new airbag module and trailer hitch under recall. The dealer is removing the existing hitch as it's not OEM as required by the recall. Probably cost Stellantis more than I paid for the Jeep, I would have rather they gave me a set of ball joints instead:-). I'm nearing the decision point of whether to keep tinkering with it as I have time/funds, invest in a lift and fix it up right or sell it to fund one of my other projects.

Our old 03 KJ is still in the family, up in Wisconsin moving my Father in Law around to his coffee club, light hunting and church. It has around 200K on it now, all original driveline. We also have a 14 Grand Cherokee Summit Ecodiesel (Ha, you think your Libby's can be money pits, let me tell ya!!).

Thanks to Heather for fixing my email snafu when registering:-).

Post subject: Re: New again member
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:14 am 
LOST Member

Welcome to the community! That sounds like a nice project