It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Liberty CRD No Cabin Heat
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello. This is my first post but I've been reading other posts on here for a while. I just bought an '06 Liberty CRD and I've been doing some maintenance on it. The factory T-stat was stuck open so I did the inline mod with a Motorad t-stat. The engine temp now sits right at the halfway mark but I still have very poor cabin heat. I went to check the viscous heater relay and there was a piece of orange wire hanging out from the top of the fuse box. Sure enough, it was shoved into one of the slots for the viscous relay. I want to do a voltage test in the fuse box and then go from there. Would anyone have a pin diagram and operating voltage? And what would be any other to diagnose the viscous heater? I'm in northwestern PA and would really enjoy having heat. I might do a heater core flush as well. On a side note, is it possible to add images to a post using a phone?

Post subject: Re: Liberty CRD No Cabin Heat
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:30 am 
LOST Addict

davepenn56:

Remove that inline thermostat immediately! It can cause long-term harm to the engine by effectively shutting down the cooling system bypass circuit, leading to a head gasket failure and a cracked cylinder head. This modification also greatly increases your chance of an overheat condition. I will send you an e-mail message with an attached Word Document article that explains in detail why the inline thermostat is a bad idea.

THERE ARE OTHER FAR BETTER UPGRADES TO CURE THE COLD RUNNING CRD ENGINE PROBLEM.

WWDiesel, a moderator on this forum, will concur with me on this issue.... ask him for his opinion.

I am uncertain as to how you can post images using your smartphone.

Please take the time to read the Noob Guide for CRD owners... the link is below.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=54207

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thank you Turbo-diesel-freak. The inline t-stat is only a temporary fix. I'd like to buy an HDS M-001. I could only find an old Kijiji link and it didn't specify availability or price. Could you point me in the right direction as to where to get one? I'm going through basic maintenance step by step. It already has the egr deleted and the squatch intake, along with the EHM done. Is there a factory service manual I could download as well?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:12 pm 

Factory Service Manuals are available here:> http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/

Get rid of the EHM, it is very bad for this engine! CCV system on this engine by design requires the extra vacuum supplied by the turbo suction for proper operation.
EHM mode has been known to cause leaking or blown out engine seals. If you search on this forum, you can read and learn all about why the EHM can be very detrimental to this engine just like stuffing a small thermostat in the top radiator hose can do.
Two things that have been proved over time that you never want to do to this vehicle if you plan on keeping it healthy.

Link:> Excessive CCV or Engine Blowby

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:06 am 
LOST Addict

davepenn56 wrote:
Thank you Turbo-diesel-freak. The inline t-stat is only a temporary fix. I'd like to buy an HDS M-001. I could only find an old Kijiji link and it didn't specify availability or price. Could you point me in the right direction as to where to get one? I'm going through basic maintenance step by step. It already has the egr deleted and the squatch intake, along with the EHM done. Is there a factory service manual I could download as well?

It is still a bad idea to use the inline, even for a short period of time. What happens in these circumstances is that a "short period of time" turns into a long period of time. It would be better that you cover the grill in the front of your vehicle with coroplast, (plastic cardboard), in an effort to increase your operating temperatures than use the inline thermostat. Cut the coroplast to fit the slots in the grill and zip-tie them into place.

By your adoption of the Elephant Hose modification, (EHM), it seems that you have been given more improper upgrade information. As WWDiesel has stated, this is another bad upgrade. Who gave you this information, (you can private message me about this if you wish to save the person who gave you the information any embarrassment)?

Contact me via e-mail, (INTCOMBUSTION2@hotmail.com), as I am not allowed to sell or market through this forum.

The Factory Service Manual is also available through the Jeep Liberty CRD Facebook Group. Sign up as a member there and you can download the files.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

Sorry for the late response. Just to be clear, I didn't perform any of the mods. Those were done before I purchased the Jeep. I would like to install a Provent but I don't know if that'd be beneficial since the EGR is already deleted. As of yet, I've only gone over the rear brakes entirely, replaced the U-joints, and I'm in the process of swapping the driver's side doors out since it was sideswiped before and the PO put color matching but rusty doors on it. I also believe the clutch pulley on the viscous heater is starting to go. I swapped relays around and it kicked on a few seconds after startup, but in doing so the idle dropped to around 400 - 500 RPM and ran rough for the few seconds that it engaged. Similar to when an AC clutch pulley is starting to fail

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:13 am 

Your best option is to remove the relay for the viscous heater and do not let it operate. It provides little additional heat for the cabin.
Many owners have deleted the viscous heater by removing the whole unit and replacing it with one of my viscous heater delete kits which I can provide. (see picture below)
By deleting it, you eliminate an electrical item that can fail, a bearing/pulley that can fail, and an item that can leak coolant; many pluses.
Contact me if interested.

Elephant hose mode is bad, it can cause engine oil seals failure.
Adding a Provent is good, it helps to trap and keep oil out of your intercooler (CAC) and still allows for the CCV system to function properly with suction from the turbo inlet.
If you have not removed the thermostat from the inside of your top radiator hose, do so immediately, it can cause expensive problems.

New Member Introduction wrote:
Welcome to the LOSTJeeps Forum!
Please tell us about your Jeep, mods, upgrades, etc...

If you look in "User Control Panel" (top right), and click on "Profile", you can update your Signature and list your vehicle mods, edit your Profile, and add an Avatar if you so desire.
This information greatly helps others when responding to questions or making comments.

If you have not read Sam's CRD Noob Guide, please do so as there is a lot of very useful information contained in it and it will help educate you about this unique little diesel engine.

Factory Service Manuals are available for reading or downloading at:> http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/
Post questions, concerns, comments, if you have any.

Moderator,
:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thank you WWDiesel. I'm very surprised with all of the quick replies since starting this thread. I'll shoot you a PM or email. I didn't know that there even was a delete kit for the viscous heater. I'll pull the relay for now. What are the odds that the heater core could be plugged? I'm going to flush it anyway, but is it a common problem with KJ's? Hopefully between the HDS and flush/coolant change, the heat will come back

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:09 pm 

davepenn56 wrote:
Thank you WWDiesel. I'm very surprised with all of the quick replies since starting this thread. I'll shoot you a PM or email. I didn't know that there even was a delete kit for the viscous heater. I'll pull the relay for now. What are the odds that the heater core could be plugged? I'm going to flush it anyway, but is it a common problem with KJ's? Hopefully between the HDS and flush/coolant change, the heat will come back

I responded to your message. Unfortunately currently I am sold out of stock of viscous heater delete kits.
Supplies are on order and I should have a new batch available after the first of the year.

As to your question, stoppage of a heater core has never been a problem or even been reported on this forum to my knowledge. :D

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch