It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cobra 29 LX LE
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:46 pm 
LOST Member

what are your alls opinions on this CB. i love the looks of it but simply dont know enough about them to really understand what performance tuned and echo boards really are. Looked into Google but havent learned a whole heck of a lot

At The Helm shackles with red D-rings
And Roof Rack with Rough Country 40" light bar in front and 4 Dually pods on the rear
Custom Flip Switches and Custom panel
17 inch Black Rock rims
Rough Country 2.5 in budget lift
Bearcat 980 SSB CB
Kenwood double din cd dvd player

Post subject: Re: Cobra 29 LX LE
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:06 pm 
LOST Member

Cobra 29 has always been an excellent radio.
Unless you're planning on using it to talk to Mars on a regular basis,
you will not be disappointed.

Bass Player Extraordinaire, Keeper of the Eternal Flame
of the Immortals, Master Swordsman, The "5th" Beatle,
Expert Marksman, Stand-up Comedian, Martial Artist,
Jeep owner, and all around swell guy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:54 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

the talk back and echo board are something you wont be using, at the extremely low setting theyre used so you can hear your voice as you talk to verify that your amp or sideband clarifier on other radio models - arent making you sound like donald duck

at higher settings theyre just extremely annoying
--

the 29 lx limited edition is one of the nicest narrow profile radios there is in my opinion, and i am not a cobra fan, ive always ran galaxy radios - it has most of the functions of my galaxy 979 which is a MUCH larger radio

the volume, squelch, and RF Gain are the 3 most important knobs on any 2 way radio and most small profile cb radios omit the rf gain which lets you turn down (or up) your receiving signals power

for example, fully turned RF knob in one direction , and the radio will let you hear all of the signals it receives, the strong ones and the not so strong ones, at this setting the radio will make all sorts of static racket whether anyone is talking or not, fully in the other direction, and only the very strong signals will be heard, like someone sitting DIRECTLY next to you (maybe lol..)

you can limit the amount of static or electrical racket from your jeep that comes through your radio using the RF gain, somewhere towards the low side of the middle setting and the static you hear will be at a low pssssshhht, rather than RAWWWRRPOPSSPSHHSHSHSHHSHHTHSHSHHTHSHHTTTTttTT!

The squelch on the other hand, is the other important one, all the way in one direction and the speaker will stay active no matter what, this is the setting i start my tuning at with the RF Gain, then i edge the squelch over JUST until the speaker goes quiet , then.. assuming your friends radio is working correctly, and your antenna and their antenna are jiving , and brazillian pirates arent jamming your ships boat dock, you will hear your friends talk and then the radio will shut up - basically a perfect scenario, simplex voice conversation

as long as your in close proximity to someone, and the atmosphere isnt doing crazy stuff, this scenario is typically easy to achieve

but occasionally (which are actually the conditions i enjoy playing with) you wont hear your friend, youll hear someone in australia like they're right next to you.. or when messin around with your radio, all of a sudden youre hearing people in IL talk when youre in NC, and sometimes (SOMETIMES) vice versa

cb's are a odd band, they do some funny things sometimes, they do it cool things sometimes, and they do some annoying things sometimes, but they're cheap, they typically work at least as good as a high end GMRS radio and you're allowed to be on any of the 40 channels, unlike some of the channels typically included in GMRS radios which you aren't supposed to be on without certain licensing

now if it's just me and one other person in a 2 car road trip, i use motorola gmrs two way radios with privacy codes and headsets, they typically maintain a 2 mile non-line of sight range and a 10-20 line of sight range, with the privacy codes there is very little interference at all and with the vox (voice operated transmission - it keys the mic when it detects your voice) they work pretty much like a cell phone would in terms of a conversation, except theres no cell phone signal loss when you hit dead zones, or tunnels, as long as youre in range of the other person youll hear each other - worked extremely well when i was driving back and forth from chicago to NC and such with 2 vehicles - my gmrs radios also have a weather band (which some cb radios also will have - or aftermarket car radios for that matter) and since you dont always know what everyones got at jeep meets i usually bring a few gmrs radios as well - work great for spotter to driver comm's and can just re-hand out the radio as different drivers cross an obstacle

i know that was a lot of babble but i get chatty sometimes :P

dont tell my other galaxy buds, but... i'd actually like to replace mine with a 29 lx le , i havent been using the sideband on mine for about a year now

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

http://www.cbradiomagazine.com/Radio%20Reviews/Cobra%2029%20LX%20LE/Cobra%2029%20LX%20LE%2050th%20Anniversary%20Review.htm

dont know if youve already read CBRMs review of the radio but its fairly thorough and includes links to some review or explanation videos

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632