It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2-one din units or 1-two din unit, will either fit?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have recently become interested in installing a gps navigation system in my 2005 KJ sport. However, I don't want to dole out the $1300 or so for a factory nav system. I have a nice spare 1-din JVC stereo with an external changer that I'd like to put into the vehicle.

So my question is this: Would it be possible for me to double stack two 1din units, should I just try to cram a 2-din aftermarket nav into the hole, or should I not try to put anything bigger than the factory 1.5din?

The double stacking assumes I'll be using a touchscreen motorized monitor that would be connected to a PC running GPS nav, and music software. Either the carputer, or aftermarket nav/music system would be costly. I do have a spare junk PC that I could use for a carputer, but something tells me that even the mobo alone wouldn't fit under either of the front seats thus requiring me to purchase a mini motherboard to build a lil' pc.

Any advice would be helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:13 pm 
LOST Member

darn you and your carputer .. I'm guessing this is something you didn't make up, but it's the first I've heard of it and has the wheels in my head turning and my wallet running the other way! I've got enough spare computer parts to build like 10 computers.... hmm...

CB w/ 4' Firestick mounted on Tire Carrier,
Full MOPAR Skids, RRO Diff guard, 'AllJ Boulder Bars, Rhino-lining applied to sides.
On-board Air (Superflow MV-50)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:31 pm 
LOST Member

seen the pc thing done a few times for an mp3 server. just be careful with disk access and bumps/etc. pretty easy to jog a read head and scratch a platter (or all of them)

if you were going to try to modify the factory hole for a 2 din you might get away with it. problem is there is very little room above or below the factory 1.5 din hole. the trim around the factory radio and the radio itself comes out pretty easy so you could check clearances pretty easily.

most in dash dvd players have extra inputs for things like a gps unit. go with a 1 din in-dash dvd (with an adapter for the 1.5 din hole) then hook a gps unit up to it that has an video out.

better yet, do the in dash dvd and hook your pc up to it for the gps. most video cards have an s-video out which you can throw an adapter on to make it connect right up (alot of vid cards even come with the adapter). then it would hook right up to the head unit

another option would be to get a display only overhead mount like
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-zbDZbDwGioL/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.asp?g=170450&avf=N

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yeah, I wondered about how the HD would handle the jarring.

Darn, I don't really feel comfortable with any sort of cutting of the stock trim to fit a new unit in the dash.

Would the overhead mount cause any problems later like a sagging headliner?

This all seems like more trouble than it is worth now that I think about it. I think I'm probably just going to wait until single din GPS/stereo units hit a pricepoint that I can afford.

Thanks for the advice though.

In the mean time, I'm going to begin fabricating a fiberglass sub enclosure for the trunk of my Libby. I'll post a link to the project page once I create it.
I'm not rich by any means, I just have all this decent stereo equipment from my former Buick Riviera (RIP after a wreck in a WV blizzard) that I'm just itching to install.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:28 pm 
LOST Member

freetolio wrote:
Yeah, I wondered about how the HD would handle the jarring.

Darn, I don't really feel comfortable with any sort of cutting of the stock trim to fit a new unit in the dash.

Would the overhead mount cause any problems later like a sagging headliner?

This all seems like more trouble than it is worth now that I think about it. I think I'm probably just going to wait until single din GPS/stereo units hit a pricepoint that I can afford.

Thanks for the advice though.

In the mean time, I'm going to begin fabricating a fiberglass sub enclosure for the trunk of my Libby. I'll post a link to the project page once I create it.
I'm not rich by any means, I just have all this decent stereo equipment from my former Buick Riviera (RIP after a wreck in a WV blizzard) that I'm just itching to install.

I currenly have a CarPc in my liberty and havent had a problem with any jarring. I am using a 2.5 in drive which is suppose to handle bumps better than a 3.5. Unless u move the climate controls, you wont be able to fit any double din equipment into the console.
check out my site for pictures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:50 pm 
LOST Member

I'd definetely use a laptop disk drive for an application like this

CB w/ 4' Firestick mounted on Tire Carrier,
Full MOPAR Skids, RRO Diff guard, 'AllJ Boulder Bars, Rhino-lining applied to sides.
On-board Air (Superflow MV-50)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:15 am 
LOST Member

freetolio wrote:

are there any good sites to learn how to use fiberglass? i want to fabricate a sub enclosure to fit under the rear seat. with the way the floor dips under the rear seat (and with removing the jack on the passenger side) there is enough depth for a pair of 10s. i just dont know anything about laying fiberglass.

heck, if pimp my ride can form sub enclosures it cant be too hard :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:34 am 
LOST Member

kevh wrote:
freetolio wrote:

are there any good sites to learn how to use fiberglass? i want to fabricate a sub enclosure to fit under the rear seat. with the way the floor dips under the rear seat (and with removing the jack on the passenger side) there is enough depth for a pair of 10s. i just dont know anything about laying fiberglass.

heck, if pimp my ride can form sub enclosures it cant be too hard :lol:

You can check out the www.mp3car.com forum. They have a discussion group just for fabrication.

Post subject: This will help
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

http://lostkjwest.com/images/doowacky.wav later...Clint

KE7JLP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:28 pm 
LOST Addict

kevh wrote:
are there any good sites to learn how to use fiberglass? i want to fabricate a sub enclosure to fit under the rear seat. with the way the floor dips under the rear seat (and with removing the jack on the passenger side) there is enough depth for a pair of 10s.

Don't forget that when you fold the rear seats forward the seat bottoms lower a little. Might make a difference in the measurements.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have some good, free, project pages for DIY fiberglass that I'll post when I get back to my home PC where they reside.

I considered using the space under the back seat for storing the amp. Beware, things may be crushed when you fold the seat down because they pivot lower to the floor. [EDIT:]The guy above me beat me to posting this.

My experience with fiberglass thus far is limited to whitewater canoe repair, and that is easy to do because it doesn't have to look good.

The usual order of things with fiberglass enclosure builds is:
-Protection with gloves, eyewear, particulate or charcoal mask.
-Drop cloth of plastic (test it to see if the resin eats through it first) on all nearby surfaces.
-Lots of masking tape, painters tape, or foil to cover the surface the glass is applied to.
-Glass several layers allowing each to cure individually. This requires the destruction of a bunch of paintbrushes after the resin hardens on them.
-Trim the edges of this semi-enclosure.
-Put some wooden sub rings on wooden dowels that you hot glue to them inside of the semi-enclosure. Use T-nuts in the rings to create thread holes for reusability.
-Stretch a polyester/cotton fabric over the rings and around the edges of the semi-enclosure and tack the edges down using spray adhesive, tape, whatever works. It must be tight with no/few wrinkles.
-Apply resin to the fabric. Cure
-Lay up more glass on top of that until it is super strong. Cure
Cut out the holes in front of the sub rings.
-Lay up more glass on the back edges of the sub rings for added support. Cure
-Then you carpet or paint the box.

Painting requires using bondo and sanding to get a super smooth surface
prior to the normal painting routine with primer, paint, etc.
I've read that you can use leftover resin (mixed to be very thin with less hardener) like a clear coat.

LOST Mid-Atlantic #071463
-----------------------------------
2K5 3.7L Sport in Patriot Blue w/ bug deflector
+ slush mats + JVC 12 Disc changer and HU
---------------
Coming Eventually:
Custom built fiberglass enclosure with two 12" 1000W DHD subs and one 12" 400W Orion sub with an 1800W Legacy amp and a 600W Boss amp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:25 pm 
LOST Member

thx for the tips/info all.

i will keep you updated

Post subject: Here is a good place to start
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

http://chris.pfharlock.com/glass/index.htm

This is fiberglassing for beginners, and it is very helpful.

My own project has stalled before it started. I ordered all the equipment, but I got temporarily hired unexpectedly during the final weeks of summer that I thought I'd have off. Now I'm back at school with little access to chem respirators, tools, and the like. But I wish everyone else luck in their endeavors for now.

LOST Mid-Atlantic #071463
-----------------------------------
2K5 3.7L Sport in Patriot Blue w/ bug deflector
+ slush mats + JVC 12 Disc changer and HU
---------------
Coming Eventually:
Custom built fiberglass enclosure with two 12" 1000W DHD subs and one 12" 400W Orion sub with an 1800W Legacy amp and a 600W Boss amp