It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EVIC/ OTIS Mods
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:12 pm 
LOST Member

Saw this on another site and it looked ok:
http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47300
" This is a small mod in the big scheme of things, but cheap and kinda fun. It involves replacing the useless switches on your OTIS/EVIC cover with something functional, in this case a lamp. All the parts needed are from the replaced maplight assy and materials in your junk drawer(s). By using a switch, lens and lamp from the maplights, the switch cover from the EVIC, and a little imagination, a cute colored moodlight can be added to your vehicle.
I have done this in 3 styles so far, and put a few pics in my gallery. Cover #19 is my first lamp mod, and the lens is surface mounted, the light filtered by permanent colored magic marker on the inside of the lens. The switch is mounted by tapping a 3/8NFT hole in the cover. The switch is kept hidden by a safety bolt cap from a swingset. The push button is the chrome top of a click-type inkpen. The modded lamp cover is coated inside with metal tape for reflection and insulation. 3 wires are spliced by twist and tape. All of my further mods I soldered the 3 splices. Surface mount is the easiest.
#23 has the lens flush mounted. This is still fairly easy, but requires some tedious grinding and sanding to "let in" the lens so that it is "light tight". I used layers of colored cellophane as a filter, with a small piece of plexiglass as a heatshield. This mod has a nice "from the factory" look. (Pics are bad, I will replace when I can)
My favorite is the lens in the back mounted position. This is modded from a Jeep EVIC cover with single moonroof switch. Example cover#24 I will try to put in this thread. This backmount is the most difficult of the 3 styles. It involves some routing of the cover on the backside, a very slow process to avoid melting the vinyl. I built a plexiglas template and routed with a dreml tool. The end result of patient work is an elegant looking lamp.
I posted a pic of the backside of the mods to show how neat and tidy it is, and illustrate no clearance or ventilation concerns.
I will do a 4th style this week or next. A variation of surface mount, an attempt to simplify this mod even more.
Soo, if you have a rainy Sunday when your girl is out with another guy and the ballgame is lopsided and boring, you might wanna do this mod. Maybe with LEDs?

One more thing: if you wish to buy , sell or trade an OTIS/Evic or cover, feel free to post it in my other EVIC Cover Mod thread, or maybe in the buy/sell/trade forum?, but PLEASE not here. Thanks"

Image[url][/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

That's where my sunroof switch is, but that is interesting none the less.

L.O.S.T. #0

Future:
2016 Hydro Blue JK Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock

Previous:
2012 Flame Red JK Unlimited Rubicon - Sold!
2012 Flame Red JK Unlimited Rubicon - Dealer buyback
2003 Silver KJ Freedom 4x4 - Sold!
32s, Frankenlift, BBars, onboard air, dirt.
KJ EVIC Install