It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Garmin GPS and Mappoint
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:42 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have a Garmin eTrex Venture i got from my father. I would like to use a laptop with Microsoft's Mappoint installed to interface with the GPS. I don't necessarly need the screen of the GPS to update, but rather use the laptop to interface with the GPS and update the maps on the laptop, so it's easier to read. Has anyone done this before?

LOST#NL068123 - 2005 Renegade 3.7L 4x4, Off-Road Package, Rock Rails, Skids, Command-Trac, Trac-Loc LSD, Light Bar, K&N Drop in Filter, AMSOIL LUBES, RRO's Diff Guard for 8.25", Frankenlift, & Goodyear MT/R's
Cardomain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:41 am 
Well let me see
Why mappoint... are you looking for driving directions and such...
Then I would use Either Microsoft Streets and Trip or Delorme Street atlas.
You'll also need the cable from the GPS to the PC.. if the laptop is older it will have a Serial port which is what the GPS cable has. If the laptop is newer it won't have a Serial port. and you'll need a Serial to USB adaptor. can get them at most major electronics shops.

On a side note I think the software will run about 50 dollars and if you need the USB adaptor that will be about 30. You may see setups with a USB GPS and software for about 99.99 might consider that depending on you use.

Also now that you have that GPS why not check out
www.geocaching.com
Basically its treasure hunting with a GPS and no Pirates...

Does that Help

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:15 am 
LOST Member

Map Point is basically a more expensive version of Streets and Trips with more tools to map demographics from databases and spredsheets. I believe Map Point has options in one of its menus to hook up a GPS, this may require you to change the output on your GPS, just read some help files and your GPS manual and you should be fine.

Brent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm using MapPoint basically because it's a more robust version of MS Streets, and for me having a MSDN subscription, it's FREE. I do have a cable, and my laptop has all the correct connections. I was able to figure out how to get Mappoint to see the GPS and vise versa for plotting trips and such. The issue i was having was with the GPS, not Mappoint, and got that fixed.
Now the only issue i have is that the coordinates @ www.geocache.com will not import to MapPoint. I downloaded one of the programs to use with the Geocache site called EasyGPS, which works great for putting the waypoints on my GPS, but took over the serial port and mappoint lost how to see serial port 1. I have uninstalled both programs as of now, and will be working more on this later, to see why i lost Serial port 1 on mappoint, even though the device manager says it's working properly

LOST#NL068123 - 2005 Renegade 3.7L 4x4, Off-Road Package, Rock Rails, Skids, Command-Trac, Trac-Loc LSD, Light Bar, K&N Drop in Filter, AMSOIL LUBES, RRO's Diff Guard for 8.25", Frankenlift, & Goodyear MT/R's
Cardomain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Nate, I had/have a similar problem when I use my GPS V/IBM laptop. If I open Mapsource and then goto nRoute (both Garmin programs) the port will no longer be recognized. It's like one of the programs grabs the port and won't release it or share it with the other. I have to shut down the computer and reinitialize it and then I can use the other program.

I suspect easyGPS is opening the port to use and then not allowing it to be seen by the other program. If u shut down the pc and then restart it w/o running easyGPS will the port work with Mappoint?

Goto this link: These guys are pretty knowledgeable about this stuff.
http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=11

I found this post which specifically deals with your problem (or seem too),
Look at the last couple of posts...
http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=110380

Mopar Tubular Brush Guard
Garmin GPS V & Laptop w/Nav software
RAM products laptop mount
Maglite w/mount
Rear cargo bay tool cabinet
AllJs Rear Shelf
Rear receiver
250k miles!