It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stereo
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:29 pm 
LOST Junkie

Hey,

Alright, I'm sick of my KJ being pretty much stock, but I don't want to do too much exterior stuff right before winter. I'm thinking of buying two Infinity Reference 5010 component sets, an infinity basslink sub and an audiobahn A4801T amp ( 150W x 4 - which should be MORE than enough power ).

My question is: Can I run this with the stock head unit and will I have to get a new battery?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:45 pm 
LOST Junkie

anyone? :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

You CAN run it with the battery that came with it, because I'm still doing it and am running MUCH more than that (I'm obsessed, I swear) but you will have to get what is called a "hi-low" converter. Magnolia Hi-Fi, car toys, etc. have these and they can be installed pretty easily. I had mine done because I'm not that great with re-wiring.

What the converter does is makes it so you can hook up an amp to the stock head unit. In my personal opinion its easier in the long run just to get a new cd player, but if you like the stock look then by all means go for it! Hope that helps a lil!

Take it easy,

ADAM

L.O.S.T. Lifetime Member #0802
Borla Dual Exhaust, Sound system, Street Scene Grill
Peanut-Butter Mag Lite Mod, EVIC Install, K&N Air Filter
Custom Cactus Green Interior
Bridgestone A/T Revo Tires

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:27 pm 
LOST Member

As far as sound quality goes i would go with a new head unit first. They put out a much cleaner signal. Meaning the amplifier will amplify less noise.

Auburn LSD
Lots of other goodies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:36 pm 
LOST Member

You could run the stock head unit since that amp has high level inputs, IMO I wouldn't the sound quality just won't be there.
An aftermarket HU would improve sound quality and make hook up and sound adjustment alot easier. You might also want to think about replacing the speakers in the doors and dash also, they will not live long on that amp and sound like poop in a hurry(nevermind didn't see you mention the component speakers above, DUH).
And no you shouldn't need a new battery since the power is coming from the altenator when the jeep is running not the battery.

I have a Alpine HU, Polk Audio component spealers F&R and a jlAudio 500/1 pushing a Audiobahn 12" sub in mine with no battery problem what so ever, I am planning on adding a amp to drive the components in the future when fund allow :) the stock speakers couldn't handle the Alpine HU I got (60x4 Max about 24x4 RMS) let alone the amp you are wanting to use 150X4 RMS :shock:(see DUH above :lol: ) .

Just speaking from experience here........ do it right the first time instead of a part here a part there, you will be happier and will save you money in the long run since you're not haveing to rebuy stuff to replace things you have found out you don;t like.

I've never heard the Basslink before so I don't know if it will be able to produce enough bass to keep up with the other things you are planning, IMO you always want to have more sub and amp than you'll ever need so it can be turned down to keep the sound real clean.

As I've stated above this just me speakin from experience and is my opinion I am looking foward to hear from others :)

P.S woohoo I'm a Junkie :lol:

L.O.S.T. #053490

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:05 pm 
LOST Junkie

Alright thanks for the help .. I'll look into a new head unit. The only reason that I'm attached to the stock one is because I like the integrated stock look ( not enough to veto a new hu tho ) and the fact that it has a 6 disc changer =]. Maybe I'll try and sell the changer or keep it or something.

In my first post, Bonehead ( haha ), I was talking about using those component sets to replace the speakers in the doors and the dash, as well as the rear doors. Will that work?

The basslink is a powered sub ( 200w ) so I think it should be okay .. is there any reason I should believe otherwise?

Thanks, Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:11 pm 
LOST Junkie

oh and one more retarded question ...

When I buy a component set .. it should come with two woofers and two tweeters right? That should be enough for the front ( two door speakers and the two tweeters in the dash ) .. and then I could just buy two more speakers for the rear doors? I feel like a retard asking this but all of the websites I look at are a bit weird with the wording of what's included.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:39 pm 
LOST Member

I have 2 sets of components in mine 4 woofers and 4 tweeters. 2 for the tweets for the dash, 2 woofer for front doors, 2 woofer for the rear doors and am going to mount the last 2 tweeters on each side of the flip up rear glass(this weekend I hope if time permits). After looking at the nightmare the factory speaker wire set up was I ran my own, I know it a bit more of a headache bitt atleast you will know its right and be getting your money worth out of the other stuff pushing it. I bought 100ft of 14ga O2 free at wal-mart for like 20 buck and its gonna end up takeing most of it when I'm finally done LOL :lol: .

As far the Basslink goes no IMO I don't think it will be enough, you will be pushing 600w through the other speaker I don't think a 200w powered sub would be able to keep and remain clear and clean. I would look at aleast a 500w( most likly more though) mono sub amp(Audiobahn makes many of these too) and a single 10" or 12" sub(to be able to still have alittle room left in the rear LOL) that would handle atleast 600w RMS.

With my Jlaudio 500/1 it is 500w RMS I am running a Audiobahn AW1200N 700wRMS/1400Wmax DVC sub (gotto love the blurred vision lol) , that amp I am lookind to drive the components is the Audiobahn 75x4 amp I think this will be enough( looking at 100x4 also though 8) )

Oh yea when you look at HUs make sure you get one with 3 sets(1 front,1 rear,1 sub) of RCA outputs in 4v preferably.

That about all I can think of right now I am abit braindead after work LOL.

Just take your time picking what you want and feel free ask more questions, it can only help :D

You might want to check this place out www.sonicelectronix.com ,really good price and selection. I got the sub I'm using now from them. I'm on my 5th sub since I pussyfoot around when buying them before and bought one that where rated close to what my amp was, the result 4 blown subs (2jlaudio 12w3s and 2 Audiobahn AW121s) so I over bought this time and am very happy with my choise...........................ok I think I'll shut up and quit rambling now :lol:

L.O.S.T. #053490

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:25 am 
LOST Junkie

Alright I'll definately look into another sub. As for the installation and wiring: How hard is it to do yourself? I'm kinda nervous tearing up carpet and taking panels off myself to put stuff in .. how much would it cost to get all of those things installed if I didn't do it myself?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:25 pm 
LOST Junkie

Well how hard would it be to install the head unit myself if ive never done it before?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:50 pm 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

It's so easy a monkey could do it. You just get a harness adapter, match up the wires, twiste em, and plug it in. it couldn't be easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:36 pm 
LOST Junkie

Awesome .. so I don't have to take apart the whole dash or anything to put it in right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:50 pm 

auggy wrote:
Awesome .. so I don't have to take apart the whole dash or anything to put it in right?

Not at all. You remove one screw near the cigarette lighter, and pop off the bezel. From there you unscrew the old Head Unit, Put your new one in the bezel adapter, wire up the harness, plug everything in and rock & roll. Should take under an hour.

If you order from crutchfield.com, they will actually provide the bezel, antenna adapter and wiring harness for free with you order, and also provide a liberty specific instruction sheet for wiring the harness and removing the bezel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:13 am 
LOST Junkie

Yeah that's part of the reason I was planning to order from them 8) . Their site says that a regular sized head unit will fit my space that had the 6 disc changer .. I can only hope =].

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:30 am 

it will fit for sure - and IMO looks better than factory - and performs better too - and I still have my stock speackers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:58 pm 
LOST Junkie

Alright, I'm definately going to go ahead with it then. I'm going to buy an Alpine CDA-9847 and install it, then have best buy install the ipod adapter in the space underneath where the cigarette lighter is. Should be sick.

Then I'll keep going once i get some funds :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:44 pm 
LOST Junkie

Ordered .. should be installed tomorrow.

Alpine CDA-9847
Alpine KCA-420i - I think I'm going to install it in the little recess in the center console where the outlet is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:18 pm 
LOST Junkie

Installed 8) . The head unit is fantastic, and the spot I picked for the chord for the ipod is great. I'll post some pictures of it soon but I'm happy with the overall install.

Next mods:
Speakers
Amp
Sub
Air Intake
Cat-back exhaust
lift
tires

WHERE ARE THE LOTTERY WINNINGS WHEN YOU NEED THEM?!? :twisted: