It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Know nothing on GPS
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I am looking for a GPS that will give me information on the road and off the road. I would really like it to be like a navagation system, where I could plug in an address and it would find it. I would also like it to be able to track where I am on a trail and tell me elev., cords, and such things as this. A lot of help needed on this. Like I said I know not a thing about GPS but would like to get one for the trails and trips.
Thanks
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:39 pm 
Check out GARMIN. But only if you want the best. Regardless, their website can teach you a lot about GPS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have a Garmin eTrex Venture. Works well, but the screen is B&W and a bit small. Although, i usually use MS Mappoint (or MS Streets will work too) and have it attached to my laptop for use with driving directions using the laptops display. Eventually i want to get a smaller LCD display and computer to hook up in the jeep.
I would suggest going to Garmin's website and looking to see what fit's your needs and is within your price range. Do you have a PDA or a Laptop that you want to use with it? Check out Garmin's Purchase Assistant, it will help you narrow down to a few models, for what you are exactly looking for: http://www.garmin.com/purchaseAssistant/

Personally I'm looking into getting this model next as it will do what I am looking for (maybe you too), plus Geocaching. http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap76cs

LOST#NL068123 - 2005 Renegade 3.7L 4x4, Off-Road Package, Rock Rails, Skids, Command-Trac, Trac-Loc LSD, Light Bar, K&N Drop in Filter, AMSOIL LUBES, RRO's Diff Guard for 8.25", Frankenlift, & Goodyear MT/R's
Cardomain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I use a Garmin V attached to an older thinkpad on a RAM mount. See my Cardomain page. I also use it for Geocaching. To learn alot about GPS start with the Garmin site as suggested here but I also suggest you goto the forums at Geocaching.com as they will give you more details than u ever wanted to know about GPSs!

Mopar Tubular Brush Guard
Garmin GPS V & Laptop w/Nav software
RAM products laptop mount
Maglite w/mount
Rear cargo bay tool cabinet
AllJs Rear Shelf
Rear receiver
250k miles!
LOST #CR051230

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Cacher123 wrote:
I use a Garmin V attached to an older thinkpad on a RAM mount. See my Cardomain page. I also use it for Geocaching. To learn alot about GPS start with the Garmin site as suggested here but I also suggest you goto the forums at Geocaching.com as they will give you more details than u ever wanted to know about GPSs!

Cacher...I think we are the only two that Geocache here at this site...

LOST#NL068123 - 2005 Renegade 3.7L 4x4, Off-Road Package, Rock Rails, Skids, Command-Trac, Trac-Loc LSD, Light Bar, K&N Drop in Filter, AMSOIL LUBES, RRO's Diff Guard for 8.25", Frankenlift, & Goodyear MT/R's
Cardomain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:12 pm 
Master of the Blender

Guyute1210 wrote:
Cacher...I think we are the only two that Geocache here at this site...

Nope, there are a few more on here, myself included. And I'm with Cacher, I also use a GPS V; auto-routing is very nice, especially when urban caching 8)

L.O.S.T. #KB051963

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:40 pm 
LOST Addict

I use a sony clie with a mouse-type GPS. Because it's a PDA, I can load whatever software I want to use (tracking, mapping, street directions, etc) and it has a nice large color screen. I mostly use it in/around boston to give me directions to places, but I imagine it would be good off the road as well. Only downside is that it won't work away from the jeep since the mouse GPS is powered by the cigarette lighter.

Also - it's cheaper than most standalone GPSs....the GPS was about $50 on eBay and the clie (which I had anyway) was around $250.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:51 am 
LOST Member

we have a garmin 60cs. what's awesome about it is that the compass works when standing still. you may not think it's a big deal, but it's a really nice feature. it has a color screen too. and only uses 2 AA batteries.

i have not heard good things about magellen, mostly that they fall apart but i don't have any first hand experience.

oh, and we're geocachers too and you can find us on geocaching.com under the same name as here.

99 Wrangler Sport, Amethyst *~* 9500 lb Mile Marker Winch *~* Bestop Mesh Windows *~* Michelin LTX M/S *~* Custom Rock Shift Knob *~* Cobra 75 WX ST *~* 3" Boulder Bars *~* Full Husky Liners *~* Aiwa Deck *~* JKS Disco's *~* Garmin 60 CS *~* Kilby Gas tank skid *~* Poison Spyder Diff Ring

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:47 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks for the info! I looked at the Garmin website and I really like the GPS V. The price evven looks great.

Post subject: Re: Know nothing on GPS
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:00 pm 
LOST Addict

WV(0)IIIIIII(0) wrote:
I am looking for a GPS that will give me information on the road and off the road. I would really like it to be like a navagation system, where I could plug in an address and it would find it. I would also like it to be able to track where I am on a trail and tell me elev., cords, and such things as this. A lot of help needed on this. Like I said I know not a thing about GPS but would like to get one for the trails and trips.
Thanks
Chris

Garmin has a lot of things going for it. They have nicely packaged map sets with decent (not always up-to-date or the most accurate) coverage. Their maps usually have good set of "points of interest" as well (such as hospitals, restaurants, parks, water/land features, etc.)

I bought an iQue 3600 and while I wouldn't recommend this model to other people, it has mostly worked out great for me. The problems I have with this model are: (1) the software is somewhat buggy, and (2) the unit consumes too much power.

You have a lot of choices when it comes to GPS hardware. You can get standalone hand-held units, or you can get GPS receiver and plug it into your laptop. The key to your selection is not the GPS unit itself, but rather, the maps. The positioning data alone without maps (and value-added maps, at that) is not worthwhile except for specific situations. Without maps, you don't have street-level navigation.

If you go with the handheld route, you eliminate the choice of OS from the equation (you get a finished product). If you go the laptop route, you (unfortunately) have to use the Evil Empire's OS (Windoze) or at best, Macintosh.

I chose the iQue 3600 route because it's also a PDA and I can develop in PalmOS and use it for controlling my media box as well. It's a multifunction gadget :D

Post subject: Re: Know nothing on GPS
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

dirtykj wrote:
WV(0)IIIIIII(0) wrote:
Thanks
Chris

Garmin has a lot of things going for it. They have nicely packaged map sets with decent (not always up-to-date or the most accurate) coverage. Their maps usually have good set of "points of interest" as well (such as hospitals, restaurants, parks, water/land features, etc.)

I bought an iQue 3600 and while I wouldn't recommend this model to other people, it has mostly worked out great for me. The problems I have with this model are: (1) the software is somewhat buggy, and (2) the unit consumes too much power.

You have a lot of choices when it comes to GPS hardware. You can get standalone hand-held units, or you can get GPS receiver and plug it into your laptop. The key to your selection is not the GPS unit itself, but rather, the maps. The positioning data alone without maps (and value-added maps, at that) is not worthwhile except for specific situations. Without maps, you don't have street-level navigation.

If you go with the handheld route, you eliminate the choice of OS from the equation (you get a finished product). If you go the laptop route, you (unfortunately) have to use the Evil Empire's OS (Windoze) or at best, Macintosh.

I chose the iQue 3600 route because it's also a PDA and I can develop in PalmOS and use it for controlling my media box as well. It's a multifunction gadget :D

While I don't understand a lot about what you said I thank you for your in put while I try to figure this thing out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:11 pm 
Master of the Blender

WV(0)IIIIIII(0) wrote:
Thanks for the info! I looked at the Garmin website and I really like the GPS V. The price evven looks great.

Searching the net I see prices of $220-$350 for the GPS V depending on where you want to buy. I happened to pick one up at Best Buy about 6 months ago for $250 and it came with the Mapsource CD. The V has several advantages over other handheld-sized units:

larger display
rotatable external antenna
larger buttons
screen orientation is selectable (portrait/landscape style)
option of adding a remote external antenna

I use my gps for caching, off-roading, and trips to towns where I don't know my way around. I can download maps for the destinations and have street-level navigation, plus it has an audible alert for upcoming turns. All in all I am quite happy with my V.

L.O.S.T. #KB051963

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:36 pm 
LOST Member

keep in mind that a quad helix antenna is supposed to be better. i have the garmin 60cs and it has more memory and a color screen and, as i stated before, a compass that works when you're not moving. you won't believe how handy that is to find north without have to walk around a 2 mph or faster.

also, remember to stock up on rechargeable batteries. ours takes two and we always bring more along.

99 Wrangler Sport, Amethyst *~* 9500 lb Mile Marker Winch *~* Bestop Mesh Windows *~* Michelin LTX M/S *~* Custom Rock Shift Knob *~* Cobra 75 WX ST *~* 3" Boulder Bars *~* Full Husky Liners *~* Aiwa Deck *~* JKS Disco's *~* Garmin 60 CS *~* Kilby Gas tank skid *~* Poison Spyder Diff Ring

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:37 pm 
:twisted: