It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AM Radio to CB Antenna adapter
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:44 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I found an adapter that allows you to use the Am radio antenna as the CB radio antenna.

This seemed like a good deal so I don't have to mount another antenna. It is made by Diesel Electronics. Anyone have any experiece with this?

It suggests that you use an SWR meter to tune the device. Is this something I can buy cheap at Radio Shack or somewhere?

Thanks for any help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:57 am 
LOST Member

Here's a good write up on actually replacing your radio antenna with a CB antenna:
http://p087.ezboard.com/fkjjeepfrm8.sho ... =371.topic

As for the SWR meter, yes, you can pick one up at Radio Shack.. they run about $30 or so.

CB w/ 4' Firestick mounted on Tire Carrier,
Full MOPAR Skids, RRO Diff guard, 'AllJ Boulder Bars, Rhino-lining applied to sides.
On-board Air (Superflow MV-50)

Post subject: You mean the other around, right?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:07 pm 
LOST Addict

The adaptor allows you to use CB radio antenna for receiving AM/FM, right? Using the radio antenna for CB seems like a bad idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

This adapter does say that you can use your AM antenna to for both CB and AM.

The rest of the story. When I tried to put the adapter into the back of the radio, the fitting did not fit. Unfortunately it must have done something because when I put it back together, neither the AM nor the FM radio works - just static.

I may check into the post for using the CB for both. This sure did not work out. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:38 pm 
I live here
I live here

Your radio antenna (RA) will not perform well as a cb antenna (CBA). You should replace the RA with a CBA. Here's the link to my mod of the RA to CBA.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/718416

***NOTE: I recommend adding a medium spring to reduce stress on the mount. I have not had any problems w/o a spring for the last 2 months but if you go off-roading, you better add it. Over time, the stress will get to the mount if you drive at high speeds w/o a spring. I had a medium spring give out at Moab but a heavy duty spring is much TOO big to fit on the mount (tried it).

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military