It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why are my lights still dimming with the bass?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:59 am 
LOST Newbie

I have two amps wired seperately to my stock battery; no distribution block. Combined watts from the amps is less than 500 (peak); however, my lights still flicker with the bass beats. I hear KJ Renegades have a 160A alternator, so "How can this be?" I ask myself.

So I shrug it off and get a 1.0 Farad cap put in between my 340-watt amp (for my 10" sub). I followed everything by the book; charged the cap before installation & grounded it well. But my lights still flicker!!!

However, I did notice something...when I start the engine, drive for a minute with no music, then play the music at a low volume for 5 minutes, I am able to get two songs to thump with clean bass without lights flickering...then it's back to square one.

A thought crossed my mind... I don't drive much in a day. I commute to work in bumper-to-bumper traffic for about 30-40 minutes and drive about three miles in all.

So would my driving habits be the cause of not enough charge to my batteries to the cap? Or is there something strange the fact my weak system is taking so much power? Or is it something else?

Pioneer DEH-P4700MP, Alpine MRP-F240, Pioneer TS-T110, Polk db650
MTX Thunder342, MTX Thunder T4510-04 (in a Type 3 Enclosure)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:59 am 
LOST Member

I would check two things. Have the battery load tested at like batteries plus. If that is ok then have a audio shop test the capacitor. BTW what size wire do you have running back to the amps. Let us all know what happens.

Chris

Auburn LSD
Lots of other goodies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:55 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

You also might want to get a Yellow top or Red top battery to give you more juice.

LOST#NL068123 - 2005 Renegade 3.7L 4x4, Off-Road Package, Rock Rails, Skids, Command-Trac, Trac-Loc LSD, Light Bar, K&N Drop in Filter, AMSOIL LUBES, RRO's Diff Guard for 8.25", Frankenlift, & Goodyear MT/R's
Cardomain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the suggestions... unfortunately, I'm OCONUS and all my audio stuff was mail-ordered. I wouldn't know where or how to ask what I want to have tested with the local shops here. :cry:

I'm running a 10-gauge on my Alpine and an 8-gauge on my MTX as recommended by Crutchfield & Car Domain when I bought the amps.

I don't understand...it's not like I have an ultimate, bass-pounding system. My guess is that my lights should not flicker at all to begin with.

Is there way I can test a capacitor myself?
And do capacitors charge when the engine is started only or are they always charged while connected inline with the battery?

BTW, why do Renegades have higher amp alternators than other models? (Do Renegades have more electrical stuff than others?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:00 am 
LOST Member

renegades have more juice because of the top lights. sounds like you have a weak battery. I have that much going to 2 powered subs and mids and highs and have no trouble. I have a red top though.

Chris

Auburn LSD
Lots of other goodies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:14 am 
LOST Newbie

So is it the weak battery that is preventing my cap from being charged quick enough before its discharge?

Am I in any danger from the weak battery (while driving/thumping)? :(
I noticed this morning my lights don't flicker while accelerating; just when I'm at a dead stop. Is there a chance my Jeep will just die while I'm sitting at the light?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have an xtant 121m running 2 10's and don't have a problem with dimming.

The first thing I would check are the connections at the amp and battery. Make sure they are secured.
Then check the grounds. They should be the same guage as the power wire from the battery.
After that and you still have a problem pull the fuse for your bass amp. If your dimming stops then it could be your amp. Try borrowing a similar wattage amp from a friend and test it. I had an mtx amp and it tended to draw more current and did cause dimming in a different vehichle, then when I switched to a different brand I got the same power with no dimming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:17 am 
LOST Newbie

1badkj wrote:
I have an xtant 121m running 2 10's and don't have a problem with dimming.

The first thing I would check are the connections at the amp and battery. Make sure they are secured.
Then check the grounds. They should be the same guage as the power wire from the battery.
After that and you still have a problem pull the fuse for your bass amp. If your dimming stops then it could be your amp. Try borrowing a similar wattage amp from a friend and test it. I had an mtx amp and it tended to draw more current and did cause dimming in a different vehichle, then when I switched to a different brand I got the same power with no dimming.

The connections are flawless; first thing I checked.
But now that you mention the MTX amp drawing more current, I suspect the problem lies there. But shouldn't a cap still help it out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have never used a cap on any personal vehichles so I'm in the dark for that one. The only other option I can think of is try another amp. Good luck