It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: clarion in dash dvd
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:40 am 
LOST Member

for anyone considering an in dash dvd head unit, you may want to stay away from clarion (which really sucks because i have always been really happy with their head units in the past).

i have a vrx745vd installed and the small cooling fan is loud as hell. it is about a 40mm fan so it has a high pitched whine to it. i already sent one back thinking the fan was bad and the new one does it too. after searching on the web i found others complaining about the same thing. clarion actually says it is "normal".

an additional kick in the arse...as long as the vehicle is on, the fan is on, whether the stereo is on or not. only way to get the fan to shut off is by turning off the vehicle or taking off the faceplate (you didnt really wanna see the clock did you?). i have considered clipping the fan lead but knowing my luck the unit would self destruct.

the features and display are great but for this much $$ you shouldnt have to put up with a noisy fan.

here is the unit for reference...

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-LUbbmqKGszF/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?I=020vrx745&search=VRX745VD

Post subject: Re: clarion in dash dvd
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:53 am 
LOST Addict

kevh wrote:
the features and display are great but for this much $$ you shouldnt have to put up with a noisy fan.

If you're a do-it-yourselfer, get an EPIA M-10000 with a no-fan case like e-Otonashi. Don't use any hard drive (use a solid-state read-only IDE<->flash converter, or use EPIA M-12000 which has built-in CompactFlash slot). Boot Linux from the flash and run your own car media software (or use pycar, http://pymedia.org/pycar/

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks for the good info....

--BlackOps

245/75 Cooper Discoverer STT's
Flowmaster Series 40
Warn Shackle, Mounted Mag light, Drop-In K&N
Corbra Handheld CB w/ 4 foot Firestick
Lifetime # MJ051776