It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trailer Hitch Wiring Help, PLEASE
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:24 am 
LOST Newbie

:?: Ok, I just purchased a factory trailer hitch for my '03 Renny complete with some of the wiring. The recepticle is there and a good chunk of wiring comes out of it, but then it is cut. Take a look here: http://cm.ebay.com/cm/ck/1065-29392-235 ... 8029620185

I need help running that wiring to where ever it is supposed to go. I mainly work on my CJ and have NO wiring experience in my Libby yet.

Can anyone help walk me through the process? What kind of wire to I need to extend these to their proper location? Can I splice them in ok? Do I HAVE to buy a plug in harness?

THANK YOU SO MUCH! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:08 pm 
LOST Member

THe factory woring goes up thru a grommet by the passangers side floor above the trailer hitch. The plug that it connects to is behind the passager side back panel. I had the same harness, it came with the plugs on the end to splice it in to the factory wiring harness. As far as extending the wires, you should use the same gague wire as what is existing. Most likely it is 14GA wire. A plug in harness with make the install simpler, just because you will not have to trace the wires out. Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

winkelhawk wrote:
THe factory woring goes up thru a grommet by the passangers side floor above the trailer hitch. The plug that it connects to is behind the passager side back panel. I had the same harness, it came with the plugs on the end to splice it in to the factory wiring harness. As far as extending the wires, you should use the same gague wire as what is existing. Most likely it is 14GA wire. A plug in harness with make the install simpler, just because you will not have to trace the wires out. Hope this helps.

Thank you. Do you know what color wires correspond to which points on the harness? Where exactly is the connecting point? If you have some pics that would be GREAT, as I am flying dark without any electrical diagrams. The harness was cut at a junk yard on the end that connects back into the Jeep. If you look at the pic, you can see how it's cut off. Thanks again, your help is really appreciated. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:57 am 
LOST Member

Sorry, I don't have any pics for the connection. If I am not mistaken, the plastic cover on the plug show which wire goes to what. It should say brake light, turn signal, or something like that. You can do a contunity test to see which is which on the pigtail. Then you will have to find the correct wire in the harness by the light. Sorry I could not be more help.