It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stock antenna with an aftermarket Sirius tuner
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:23 pm 
LOST Member

Well, I was sick of my stock sirius radio not showing the artist/title information so I bought a Kenwood Sirius ready head unit and a kenwood sirius tuner. I pulled the rear right quarterpanel off and removed the stock tuner. I think this tuner works for both XM and Sirius.. The stock antenna has two wires that come out of it, but after some experimenting, I found that the Sirius signal only comes over one of them (the blue connector one). So I assume the white one is for XM.. anyway, I was able to modify the connector on the stock anntenna wire enough to fit onto the Kenwood tuner and it works great! I was hoping I would be able to stick with the stock, permenantly (and cleanly) installed MOPAR antenna so I'm happy.

CB w/ 4' Firestick mounted on Tire Carrier,
Full MOPAR Skids, RRO Diff guard, 'AllJ Boulder Bars, Rhino-lining applied to sides.
On-board Air (Superflow MV-50)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:54 pm 
LOST Addict

So I should plug the blue antenna wire into the kenwood antenna you sent me?

If the signal is only sent over one of the wires, does that mean the receiver I have is capable of XM since it's got both jacks on that end?

How did you figure out the signal was coming only over one wire? Just by unplugging it and watching the signal? I wonder if that degrades reception. Ie, the other wire is used for other things.

Anyone know if there are two wire aftermarket antennas I can get for my stock sirius receiver?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3199258

JeepTales

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:05 pm 
LOST Member

I don't remember exactly which was which, but I figured the sirius is only on one of the jacks but swapping them back and forth with the radio on.. it only works on one of them. I also don't see how it could degrade the signal as it's digitial. Pretty much either there or not.

Full MOPAR Skids, RRO Diff guard, 'AllJ Boulder Bars, Rhino-lining applied to sides.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:30 pm 
LOST Addict

Check this out! Looks like just what the doctor ordered:

http://www.audio-discounters.com/sir-sp.html

JeepTales

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:54 pm 
LOST Addict

alrighty then. Just called Crutchfield who has the same item for $19.99 delivered (with free return if needed).

They explained that you need both wires because the older style two wire setup separates text and music (one on each wire). If you plug in just one, you'll hear music (like you did), but won't get text (which your head unit couldn't handle anyway).

Since crutchfield pays for free shipping AND free return shipping AND since they have tech support that answered my questions, I'm going to give them the sale.

I can see that I need to file down the OEM connector because MOPAR puts that locking mechanism 180* from where the rest of the world locates it, but with a snug fit and some tape for good meaure, I think I'll be all set.

Hopefully, others will learn from this bit of research.

JeepTales

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:39 am 
LOST Member

I'm not clear on why you are bothering with that adapter since, as you said the stock head units don't support the text input..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:43 am 
LOST Addict

I don't have a stock head unit. I've got an RB1. It gets most of the text. All if I buy a different set of harnesses.

JeepTales

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

AdamIsAdam wrote:
I don't have a stock head unit. I've got an RB1. It gets most of the text. All if I buy a different set of harnesses.

I'm getting the RB1, when I bought my Jeep I had the stock 6 disc changer with the Sirius service which I have cancelled because of the original posters problem. Do I need anything else when I install the RB1? I would think I can use the original sirius tuner and antenna, correct? When you said it gets most of the text, all with a different set of harnesses what did you mean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:18 pm 
LOST Addict

Funny you should write today. I just installed my serios receiver from MOPAR. It goes in the right rear cargo area behind the plastic interior parts. I had to run a new harness, but you won't have to. I assume if you had service before, everything's there.

Yes, installing the RB1 is a SNAP! 5 screws total. One to get the plastic trim off, 4 to slide out the head unit. You'll also be getting an additional antenna for the NAV system. It's a flat stick on thing that goes under the dash cover above the instrument cluster. extremely easy to do and surprisingly great reception considering it's inside the vehicle. I've NEVER lost signals. ever. More than I can say for my wife's Tom Tom.

I plugged in my new sirius unti and it's playing. I'm also getting text details. I don't have a rear changer to I didn't buy the extra relay and switches to enable more text. i'm not sure if I'm getting it all anyway, or just partial. Like I said, i just put it in and spent a total of 10 mintues with it so far.

But the best source of info on this is here: http://www.wjjeeps.com/nav.htm#INTRO

Good luck.

JeepTales

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

Cool. Replacing stereo in Jeeps is very easy compared to other autos. So my tuner is in the passenger cargo area across from the quarter panel? I would imagine getting to the tuner would be more difficult than replacing the hu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

I saw today that mopar's new radio ( RAH ) is sat ready, plays mp3, cd-r and cdrw. :o
My 2006 came with the RBK and as you know, when you turn to sat radio it just says SA on the read out. :x
The RAH has full readout on the display for sat as well as the other formates. (about time)
i wished that i could have had the option of getting the RAH instead of the stock radio. :cry: For now it's a Roadie2 for me. :roll:
As far as a GPS, iI'm looking at the Trail Guide Nav by Garmin that mopar has for the Wrangler. It will do street level maping as well as Topo for off roading and is portable. I just have to figure out a mounting mod to the dash. :wink:
Skymech9

Mopar light bar, full skid plates
BDS 2" Lift
In the works :roof rack, and lots more!!!!!