It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tinted headlights anyone?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:53 am 
LOST Newbie

I just had someone (a professional) offer to tint my taillights and headlights for free! I know the tails would look cool blacked out, but have any of you done the headlights on a KJ? I've seen it on more than one KK, but never on the KJ. In my head it looks pretty cool. Got any pics for me by chance?

Post subject: Re: Tinted headlights anyone?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:09 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well the KJ and KK headlights are different.

The way the KK headlights are tinted inside, do not affect the light output in any way.

If you were to tint the outside of the KJ headlight, it would limit the light passing through the lens.

If you were to tint the inside of the headlight, it would produce no light since the inside is the reflector creating the light output.

Here is a KK headlight.

Notice how it is just the bezel that is painted, not the lens or reflector.

Now if you were to do a real projector retrofit, that would be cool.
(I've been wanting to do this for a while, and I have done a lot of research)

Unless you mean to do something like this,

-or-

Either way Good luck!
8)

4.10s sitting in a box - 3

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:20 am 
LOST Newbie

I'm not a huge fan of the "eyelid" look, but I really dig the projector! I've never seen that before that I can recall, not on a Jeep at least. I was thinking about blacking out the outside of the whole lens, but throwing in some Silverstar Ultras to counter the output reduction. Do you think this would work? My OEMs are about as bright as an old Coleman lantern, so I may even get more light than I'm currently getting with that setup lol.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:26 pm 
LOST Member

Dirt Rich wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of the "eyelid" look, but I really dig the projector! I've never seen that before that I can recall, not on a Jeep at least. I was thinking about blacking out the outside of the whole lens, but throwing in some Silverstar Ultras to counter the output reduction. Do you think this would work? My OEMs are about as bright as an old Coleman lantern, so I may even get more light than I'm currently getting with that setup lol.

very bad idea. The way the light is transmitted from the bulb REQUIRES those surfaces to reflect the light outward.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:02 pm 
LOST Member

hes not talking about blacking out the reflector, he simply means black out the headlight lens the same way you black out the tail lights

i've seen some other cars that look sweet with the blacked out head lights, but i didnt go that route b/c i like the blacked out bezel

beware of the lens melting issue on the tails (and headlights also maybe?)... mine and others started getting "dimples" before we switched to LEDs in the tail lights

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:53 pm 
LOST Member

i personally think blacked out headlights look kinda stupid, especially on a jeep but anything is better than the eyelids ..just my opinion. Ive seen a few cars pull it off, but still not my thing. our libertys already have pretty bad light output for the headlights. id leave them alone. if you want to try it just get that tint film that you can take off if it doesnt work out

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:47 am 
LOST Member

I wouldn't do it. It may look pretty BA but it is illegal and if you ever hit somebody your tinted headlights could be blamed.