It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Head unit
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

New to the site so sorry if this has been discussed at length already. I just bought my wife a 2011 Liberty sport. I do not have the Uconnect module but have found one on Ebay for about the same price as a new stereo from Crutchfield. My question is this, is Uconnect worth getting or would it be better to invest in a new deck with the same capabilities? How much do I lose and what headaches do I get by making the switch to an aftermarket system? I did this with a gm vehicle and screwed a bunch of things up due to how they relay their info system. My wife isn't into big booming sound so I really am looking for the best way to gain ipod/iphone control and bluetooth/handsfree.

If I go with a new head unit I am looking at these two systems, anyone have experience with these decks or can offer a better option?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DPX500B/Kenwood-DPX500BT.html?tp=5684

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158WXGT90B/Sony-WX-GT90BT.html?tp=5684

Oh you just added a loud muffler to your Honda?
It must be REALLY fast now!
2011 Jeep Liberty Sport
1970 VW Baja

Post subject: Re: New Head unit
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Although my first "real job" was an aftermarket radio installer, I pretty much hate today's aftermarket radios. They are so stuffed with useless features that they cause distraction. Factory radios have stepped up to the plate with functionality and sound.

So, my opinion is that if the uconnect module will make the system do what you want, leave it factory. It will be a lot easier to install than an aftermarket radio. You don't have to deal with harness adapters, and the fact that if you ever have an non-related electrical problem, the technician will always blame it on the radio if you did it yourself. If you do choose an aftermarket radio, make sure you see it in operation at a retailer's demo wall (even if you still get it from Crutchfield) and go through all the features to make sure there isn't something that will annoy you. My personal pref. is Kenwood if you go aftermarket.

Good luck,

John

Post subject: Re: New Head unit
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

I did custom stereo installations when I was in college so I am not too worried about that, I do agree with all the foo foo crap added to the systems. That is why I am bouncing back and forth. The decks I'm looking at have significant upgrades to the model the Liberty currently has but the ease of stock is appealing as well. I have seen both units function, I have not seen what Uconnect has to offer so that is my hesitation I guess. :banghead:

Oh you just added a loud muffler to your Honda?
It must be REALLY fast now!
2011 Jeep Liberty Sport
1970 VW Baja