It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cigarette lighter doesn't work
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:01 pm 
LOST Member

I just bought a Jeep cherokee Liberty 2.8 CRD from 2006 and the cigarette lighter doesn't work. The power outlet on the trunck doesn't work either. I thought it was the yellow 20 amp fuse that was actually broken, so I bought a new one and when I was trying to replace it, as soon as I touched the fuse slot with the new fuse a big spark came out. Scary. Any ideas on what can be causing this problem? How can I fix it? Any help will be really appreciated.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Last edited by hgrimberg on Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Cigarette lighter doesn't work
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:38 pm 
LOST Member

I've been having that same problem with my sunroof fuse for months now. Keeps blowing. On the cigarette lighter, I just replaced my fuse. On my 03 it is a 15 amp. Maybe that is where the issue is.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:43 pm 
LOST Member

yellocoyote wrote:
If it's not the fuse, then it could be the lighter assembly itself. I replaced the lighter assembly in my KJ because it hadn't worked in a couple of years. Works after replacement. Takes about 15 minutes to do.

You had to buy a lighter assembly from Jeep/Chrysler? It has to only be Jeep? Actually I tried the outlet plug on the trunck and it doesn't work either, so could it be the lighter assembly in the front the cause of the problem?.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:01 am 
LOST Member

yellocoyote wrote:
hgrimberg wrote:
yellocoyote wrote:
If it's not the fuse, then it could be the lighter assembly itself. I replaced the lighter assembly in my KJ because it hadn't worked in a couple of years. Works after replacement. Takes about 15 minutes to do.

You had to buy a lighter assembly from Jeep/Chrysler? It has to only be Jeep? Actually I tried the outlet plug on the trunck and it doesn't work either, so could it be the lighter assembly in the front the cause of the problem?.

No. I bought one from the local auto parts place and spliced the lighter wiring into the existing dash wiring. Very easy to do.

Oh, so you bought a generic lighter, just the outer part? It doesnt have to be a Jeep one? I am in Argentina, so it is hard to get original parts here...

Post subject: Re: Re: Cigarette lighter doesn't work
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:03 am 
LOST Member

yellocoyote wrote:
hgrimberg wrote:
yellocoyote wrote:
[quote="hgrimberg"]You had to buy a lighter assembly from Jeep/Chrysler? It has to only be Jeep? Actually I tried the outlet plug on the trunck and it doesn't work either, so could it be the lighter assembly in the front the cause of the problem?.

No. I bought one from the local auto parts place and spliced the lighter wiring into the existing dash wiring. Very easy to do.

Oh, so you bought a generic lighter, just the outer part? It doesnt have to be a Jeep one? I am in Argentina, so it is hard to get original parts here...

Right, but I'll have to buy a replacement lighter from jeep, right? I mean, a lighter from another brand won't work, right?
The odd thing is that my power outlet in the trunck doesn't work either.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:22 pm 
LOST Member

This is weird. I took out the outer part of the lighter and tried replacing the fuse. No sparks. Didn't blow. Then with the new fuse, I put the outer part back in. It works! I tried with a cell phone charger, it works too! I don't understand what happened. Maybe because I played with the outer part for some time and it was stucked before and I released it.
Thank you.