It is currently Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help Needed - Mopar Light Bar Indicator Light Won't Turn Off
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey all. I'm a new 06' liberty owner and I recently installed an incomplete light bar kit. I decided to wire it up myself, which seemed simple enough. Everything seems to work just fine. However, I cannot seem to get the indicator light to work properly. I connected the brwn/ yellow wire to pin 19 on the bcm as specified (http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=63700), but when I turn the key the indicator light is always on... I thought that it should only switch on when the switch is thrown.

Also, it wasn't clear to me where to wire the orange wire so I just capped it off.

One more question about the proper behavior for the light bar; is the following supposed to happen:
No key in ignition = light bar cannot be turned on
Key's in = light bar can be turned on
(In both cases the light bar operation is independent of the head light operation)

It would seem like if the head lights can be turned on the light bar should be able to be turned on?

Post subject: Re: Help Needed - Mopar Light Bar Indicator Light Won't Turn
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:18 pm 
Oilburner
Oilburner

Did you use the OEM switch?

The lightbar should be only usable with high beams, and it flicks off when you turn off high beams. That's what the integrated relay in the switch is for.

Solo Liberty en Español: Jeepliberty.es

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

Sorry for the confusion with our correspondence, but here's what I've got:

Used the switch that came with the Light Bar, which I believe came from a factory installed light bar (relay is integrated into the switch).

Here's a picture of my connector: http://db.tt/dVBBkWM4

Sorry I don't have a picture of my switch.

To be perfectly clear, here's where I wired everything (reference thread: http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=63700):

Pin #1= blank
Pin #2= red/blue stripe = Constant Hot -> Directly to battery (+)terminal
Pin #3= white/ tan stripe = to your light -> From switch to tan/white on the light bar connector wires
Pin #4= blk/ orange stripe = Ground -> Connected ground from light bar to ground on switch and directly to battery (-)terminal
Pin #5= wht/blk stripe = Fused Hot -> From switch directly to Fuse #38 using fuse tap (also plugged in 10A fuse to fuse tap) as shown in step 32A of http://site.justforjeeps.com/guide/82206126AB.pdf
Pin #6= orange = interior lights -> Capped (Tried connecting to Fuse #9 using fuse tap as shown in http://site.justforjeeps.com/guide/82206126AB.pdf but it didn't seem to do anything)
Pin #7= blank but there seems to be a spade in the actual switch -> No Connection Made
Pin #8= brwn/ yellow stripe = to bcm -> Connected directly to Pin #19 on BCM as described in:
infernicus wrote:
Here are the pictures I uploaded to the JKJ site

These are some pics of where the connector is and where pin #19 is for people who plan on doing this..

These two connectors are located on the reverse side of the fuse box. Really high up under the foot well.

Picture of pins from under foot well.

Picture of close up of pin connector & pin #19

Light bar dash light lit up

(If you dont have the factory renegade switch, all you have to do is place a ground wire in that empty slot.)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

tonycrd wrote:

The lightbar should be only usable with high beams, and it flicks off when you turn off high beams. That's what the integrated relay in the switch is for.

Hmm. Something is not right with my system or I don't actually have what I think I do because I can turn on the light bar regardless of the headlight setting (off, low, high... it doesn't matter).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

avmaldo wrote:
tonycrd wrote:

Hmm. Something is not right with my system or I don't actually have what I think I do because I can turn on the light bar regardless of the headlight setting (off, low, high... it doesn't matter).

I have the bar from the factory on mine and can use it regardless of which light switch position.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

Cdt05 wrote:
avmaldo wrote:
tonycrd wrote:

I have the bar from the factory on mine and can use it regardless of which light switch position.

Okay so I have wired it almost correct. I think my issue is with the orange wire. Any ideas?

If you have the time would you mind looking at your orange wire and try to trace it to it's destination?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:55 am 
Oilburner
Oilburner

Quote:
Red/DK Blue - Constant Hot
Tan/Blk - Fused Hot (hot in Run or Start)
Org- Interior lights (this is just so the switch lights up with the dash lights)
Violet - Low Beam headlight (this cuts the lightbar off when the low-beam headlights are on)
Black/org - Ground
White/Tan - Light bar
Brown/yel - Pin 19 of the BCM (this just cuts the light bar indicator in the cluster on)

Where you draw power from is how the lightbar responds, I once had it setup to stay on in all conditions but found it to much of a hassle to turn it off with the switch so I plugged it back in with the high beams. Note: fuse position may have changed over the years.

Ok...here is the wiring diagram.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

tonycrd wrote:
Quote:
Org- Interior lights (this is just so the switch lights up with the dash lights)
Violet - Low Beam headlight (this cuts the lightbar off when the low-beam headlights are on)
Black/org - Ground
White/Tan - Light bar
Brown/yel - Pin 19 of the BCM (this just cuts the light bar indicator in the cluster on)

I see so the orange wire makes the light bar switch light up. I had no idea it worked that way.

Where you draw power from is how the lightbar responds, I once had it setup to stay on in all conditions but found it to much of a hassle to turn it off with the switch so I plugged it back in with the high beams. Note: fuse position may have changed over the years.

I think I like the way it works now... without having to turn the high beams on. I need to take a closer look at the wiring diagram to figure this out. Where did you happen to find that? An FSM? I might need to get one specific to the 2006 liberty to get it right.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

SOLVED!!! Thanks for all your help! Turns out I just had a brain fart and accidentally wired the orange and brown/yellow wires backwards. That was stupid... :banghead:

Although, I am still illuded by the orange wire. It doesn't seem to have a purpose? There is no light within the light bar switch that turns on when it has power. In face the light bar switch decal seems to be just painted on.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

Im chiming in a little late, I was the one who had asked for the pinout diagram in a previous post I have not had the chance to wire up this switch/relay yet which I am going to use for backup lights. Anyhow I have the 06 renny and have the lightbar from factory and when the ignition is turned on I am able to turn on the lightbar regardless if the the headlights are on high or low beam, can even turn it on with no headlights at all. Also I see you are asking about that orange wire, from what i understand it will illuminate the swith with the rest of the green lights in the dash and radio, it is also dimmed with the rest of the interior. I know the switch just looks like its painted with white paint but it does illuminate green. If you need a factory service manual search the forum and you will be able to find the links to a member who has the links for all the years, If you cant find it I should be back home in two days and can fire you off the link. I would post pics but havent put the effort to figuring out how to post pics yet

Future mods; Lift kit, tires

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:40 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks offroad_rn.i think I need to take another look at my wiring to make sure the light on the switch works. I tried fuse 9, but I could not see the switch light up. It could just be that my switch's light is burnt out. I'll give it another shot tomorrow to see if it works.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:20 am 
LOST Newbie

tonycrd wrote:
Quote:
Black/org - Ground
White/Tan - Light bar

Tony what section did you find the wiring diagram in?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:59 am 
LOST Newbie

Im not sure where Tony got the top wiring picture from" I think their the instructions the came with the lightbar if u bought it OEM aftermarket". Now that you have the PDF FSM for the 06 it is under the wiring tab/front lighting "8w-50-15" page 2258 if it matches my manual.

Future mods; Lift kit, tires

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:16 am 
LOST Newbie

Offroad_RN wrote:
Im not sure where Tony got the top wiring picture from" I think their the instructions the came with the lightbar if u bought it OEM aftermarket". Now that you have the PDF FSM for the 06 it is under the wiring tab/front lighting "8w-50-15" page 2258 if it matches my manual.

Thanks. I found it right after I made that post. If I am reading this right it looks like I am supposed to use fuse 9 and fuse 13. I probably should get the powered wire fused up as well, right now I am running straight to the +battery terminal instead of through the PDC fuse 12. Maybe I'll just use an old inline fuse I have laying around.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:32 am 
Oilburner
Oilburner

There is a light in the lightbar switch, it comes on when you turn your lights on, just like the ones in the instrumentcluster etc.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tonycrd wrote:

Not true!
My OEM/factory installed Lightbar comes on regardless of what any other lights are doing. Lights on/off or Highbeams on/off and my lightbar functions independantly by the switch.

Mopar Tubular Brush Guard
Garmin GPS V & Laptop w/Nav software
RAM products laptop mount
Maglite w/mount
Rear cargo bay tool cabinet
AllJs Rear Shelf
Rear receiver
250k miles!
LOST #CR051230