It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Considering audio upgrade
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

Here's what I have at present. Pioneer head unit with iPod/I phone controller connected to stock speakers on factory harness. A friend gave me an alpine v-power 90watt 2/1 channel amp. I did a quick test of the amp and both channels have output.

I'd like to incorporate the amp into my system and upgrade to some new speakers.

Should I use the amp to power the rear speakers? Would it be better to use it as a sub amp? Not sure I want/need a sub. Is is not worth using at all? I'd also like opinions on speakers. I'd like to upgrade all but would like to keep the price around $250.

Suggestions welcome

04 jeep Liberty Columbia Edition, pioneer deh-p2900mp with ipod/iphone control, Polk audio dxi650s, TomTomOne navigation on RAM mount, Circuit boss aux fuse block, Kenwood TM-271 2mtr amateur radio, Diamond antenna, Vector 400w power inverter, Master flow compressor, General grabber At2s, ram x-grip iPhone mount, front and rear receivers.

Post subject: Re: Considering audio upgrade
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

The problem with using that amp is that it is only a 2/1 channel and would be considered low powered for a sub( probably better suited for a 2 ohm 8 inch sub) a small low powered subwoofer is better than no sub at all though.

Options ( especially if you are short on cash)

1. The v power amps can run a 2ohm load, so you can run the left side front and rear on one channel and the right side front and rear on the other channel
2. Let the head unit power the front and rear speakers and use the amp to power a small sub

As far as the front and rear speakers there are what is called an oversized 6.5 or more correctly 6.75 inch, you can check out cruthfield for speakers they recommend and google the model for price comparison

Future mods; Lift kit, tires

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:20 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for your input. With option 1 I would lose front to back fader correct?

04 jeep Liberty Columbia Edition, pioneer deh-p2900mp with ipod/iphone control, Polk audio dxi650s, TomTomOne navigation on RAM mount, Circuit boss aux fuse block, Kenwood TM-271 2mtr amateur radio, Diamond antenna, Vector 400w power inverter, Master flow compressor, General grabber At2s, ram x-grip iPhone mount, front and rear receivers.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:04 am 
LOST Newbie

Yes the only downside would be you lose the front to rear fade control,( to be honest I have never ever needed to adjust the front to rear fade) that setup would still have a better "soundstage" than just powering the rear speakers with an amp. Also when you run the amp in a 2 ohm loud the wattage the amp puts out is increased, you can check out your model number online and look at the specs

Future mods; Lift kit, tires

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

Here's a few speakers I'm considering. Any pros or cons?

Alpine- 6-1/2" 2-Way Coaxial Car Speakers with Polypropylene Cones (Pair)
Model: SPE-6000

Kenwood- 6-1/2" 3-Way Car Speakers with Polypropylene Cones (Pair)
Model: KFC-1693PS

Rockford Fosgate Punch P1S652
6-1/2" shallow-mount 2-way car speakers

Comments or suggestions welcome
Thanks in Advance

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:02 am 
LOST Newbie

Well, I shopped around and listened to a few different speakers in different price ranges and decided on 4 Polk audio Dxi650s. With some tweaking of the head unit they sound tremendously better.

And now a few more questions:

I wired these by clipping the factory connectors off an using pigtails to the speakers. Is there a problem doing it this way? I notice I still have the dash tweeters so I'm guessing there's an amp or crossover in there somewhere? Is it better to get off the factory harness and wire direct between the head unit and speakers?

I think I want to add a small sub off the alpine amp. Where is a good place to mount the amp? I'm thinking under front passenger seat in order to keep the power leads short.

I'd also like ideas or pics of sub placement. Cargo area seems like a no brained but I don't really want to lose a lot of space and I surf fish so there's always a lot of sand, hooks and stuff flying around back there. Is there room in the tailgate door?

Again, thanks in advance

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:35 pm 
LOST Addict

The kool kidz use the Stealthbox by JL Audio. There are many other options if you're not a serious enthusiast.

RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.

Post subject: Re: Re: Considering audio upgrade
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:31 pm 
LOST Junkie

JL Rockies wrote:
The kool kidz use the Stealthbox by JL Audio. There are many other options if you're not a serious enthusiast.

Lmfao your funny. Image
What do you call those? Affordable too if you shop around

sent using the dark side of the force

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well I don't consider myself an enthusiast but appreciate good sound. As I mentioned I'd like to run it off my alpine amp and don't want to loose a lot of cargo space. Also price is a consideration. Idlime to keep it under $100 so I guess that men's making my own enclosure.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:02 pm 
LOST Addict

The tweeter run off the front power, if memory serves me correctly the door speakers and tweeters are 8ohm run parallel to see a 4ohm load. See here http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm if you are running coaxial speakers(4ohm 99%), you are no looking at a 6ohm load up front. Not a real big deal, but can be an issue, most headunit are forgiving on this. Since you are going with a small sub, make sure it fits you space limitations as well as you amps RMS output. RMS is the imporant number here not max output. You want to be the same or just above the amps output at RMS. Running a amp to a point where it is clipping or when it can no long reproduce power in a clean way, causes speakers to fail. Speakers are made to reproduce sound, whatever it may be CLEANLY. Start adding distortion to the mix and speakers start to come apart quickly. Make sure you plan you box out correctly or it too will cause the sub to fail. Make sure you read all the data in the speaker build sheet that is in the box. Most manufacturers have this on their website. A small sub correctly installed can be very surprising on it's loudness and clarity. I know the JL Audio W7 8" is very impressive with a 500RMS running through it in a CRV.