It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: chrysler pacifica rev DVD radio in WJ and KJ
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

i have been wanting a dvd unit in my jeep for a wile but i hate aftermarket radio's. The main reason that why i hate aftermarket is that i hate having to dig through a ton of menus, just to change one little setting plus since my WJ is a limited i have radio wheel controls and don't feel like trying to map them with some control box.

So I did some looking around and found this chrysler pacifica DVD unit on ebay for 100 bucks

The first thing that i did was cut off the pacifica mounting brackets.

i then put the dvd unit in back the jeep and sat the bezel over the radio then traced around it to trim off the extra that i did not need.

Now the finished product.

i still need to do build mounting brackets and add some screens i want to add 1 up front and 2 in the back. also looking at adding the 6 disk DVD changer someplace.

Since i am keeping the install 95% of the install OEM i am looking for detailed wiring diagram's with pinouts of the WK XK and the pacifica radio and entertainment systems. if anyone has them could someone PM me copys please PDF's would work best.

This would also be a cool mod for the KJ also

Last edited by teckman02 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: chrysler pacifica rev DVD radio in WJ
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

update to the upgrade

if you are thinking about doing this upgrade and dont want to cut up the face try and ind a head unit from a 05-07 town and country

i saw this one on ebay last night :furious: i should have done a little more research :banghead:

Post subject: Re: chrysler pacifica rev DVD radio in WJ and KJ
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

update to the on the AV system got some parts a few weeks ago

in the WJ it is getting this screen up front above the head unit there will be 3 maybe 4 cameras wired to it 1 as a backup cam and 2 up front off the bumper

i am in the testing stage for to interface the DVD changer with the radio and the 10 disk cd changer so when i mode the system will auto cycle from the defferent modes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

Very cool mod, looks like you are coming a long way with it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

cdubs wrote:
Very cool mod, looks like you are coming a long way with it.

thanks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

i got me some pigtails for the DVD system

the last pic is of the harness that i am splicing in to the main audio harness

in to the dvd C1 harness

side note i have done some testing with the dvd changer and the cd changer the PCI bus will not auto switch from the dvd changer and cd changer so an A/B switch is going to be need to be ran off the PCI bus.

i still need to build the jumper harness but since i have not decided where to mount the DVD changer i have not built it yet

also still have the build the screen harness

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:04 am 
LOST Newbie

Can't wait to see this build complete with some pic's and more wiring diagrams, I almost bought that radio off of ebay also but opted for the oem GPS unit. I did however buy the 6 disc/DVD player and screen off a Chrysler town and country looks just like the ones you have but the face to the dvd is round just like the radio in the libby.

Unfortunately I didn't realize how big that DVD unit is ... its freaking huge :furious: , might be able to bolt it up under the seat but I put stuff under their. Was thinking about somehow if possible just pulling out the audio and video jacks and hard wire them into the dash where I can just hook up and Ipod loaded with movie's

Keep us updated,
thanks

Future mods; Lift kit, tires

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Offroad_RN wrote:
Can't wait to see this build complete with some pic's and more wiring diagrams, I almost bought that radio off of ebay also but opted for the oem GPS unit. I did however buy the 6 disc/DVD player and screen off a Chrysler town and country looks just like the ones you have but the face to the dvd is round just like the radio in the libby.

Unfortunately I didn't realize how big that DVD unit is ... its freaking huge :furious: , might be able to bolt it up under the seat but I put stuff under their. Was thinking about somehow if possible just pulling out the audio and video jacks and hard wire them into the dash where I can just hook up and Ipod loaded with movie's

Keep us updated,
thanks

i have a few questions to ask how do you plan to control the menus of the dvd did you get the remote with the DVD changer also the town and country used RF style headphones and the pacifica IR headphones.... mounting place for the dvd changer would be easy in the KJ a good place would be where the OEM cd changer is at for me i plan on making a custom box in the WJ to hold the 10 disk cd changer the dvd changer and my amp for my subwoofer and for the av inputs that are on the of the DVD changer i would not try to relocate them i had thought about doing the same thing your best bet is to get some av cable that has a right angle on the end so you don't snap off the inputs..... the guts of the faceplate for the town and country and the pacifica are the same just the bezel is different

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

The DVD player and screen I bought off of eBay did not include the remote and headphones, but their all over eBay. I wanted to get the DVD player and screen working and all wired up correctly at home before I invested any more dough, Ill have to double check but I'm pretty sure the headsets are the IR type. Right now My renny does not have the stock CD changer but the whole plastic back trim is removed now for something else but I'm going to take some measurement's to see how well the DVD player might fit their, it appears the satellite radio unit is in that place but since I don't have satellite radio that part can go. This project will be last on my list since I have to put time into the jeep for things that it really needs right now. It sounds like you have a sweet project with this setup. I also prefer the look of stock electronics since I live in the city and don't want to attract would be thieves .

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Offroad_RN wrote:
The DVD player and screen I bought off of eBay did not include the remote and headphones, but their all over eBay. I wanted to get the DVD player and screen working and all wired up correctly at home before I invested any more dough, Ill have to double check but I'm pretty sure the headsets are the IR type. Right now My renny does not have the stock CD changer but the whole plastic back trim is removed now for something else but I'm going to take some measurement's to see how well the DVD player might fit their, it appears the satellite radio unit is in that place but since I don't have satellite radio that part can go. This project will be last on my list since I have to put time into the jeep for things that it really needs right now. It sounds like you have a sweet project with this setup. I also prefer the look of stock electronics since I live in the city and don't want to attract would be thieves .

post up some pics of the dvd changer and screen so i can tell if you have the RF or IR system also the pinout label on the top of the dvd player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

Still haven't figured out how to post pics , but the DVD player model number is p05094033aa, the pinout diagram on the DVD player matches up pin per pin on your picture which would appear to be your oem screen pinout sticker . Also the unit doesn't seem to be as big as I remembered its just much deeper than the stock radio and I originally thought I might be able to fit it under the heater/ac panel where the cigarette lighter is but their is absolutely no room back their at all for anything, zip , zero ,!!!. Also just did some measuring It doesn't appear this unit would fit were the stock cd changer would go this unit is too deep its actually almost 5 inches deeper than my old 10 disc kenwood cd changer I just threw out. I know their is room under the steering wheel panel but I would have to see exactly how much.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Offroad_RN wrote:
Still haven't figured out how to post pics , but the DVD player model number is p05094033aa, the pinout diagram on the DVD player matches up pin per pin on your picture which would appear to be your oem screen pinout sticker . Also the unit doesn't seem to be as big as I remembered its just much deeper than the stock radio and I originally thought I might be able to fit it under the heater/ac panel where the cigarette lighter is but their is absolutely no room back their at all for anything, zip , zero ,!!!. Also just did some measuring It doesn't appear this unit would fit were the stock cd changer would go this unit is too deep its actually almost 5 inches deeper than my old 10 disc kenwood cd changer I just threw out. I know their is room under the steering wheel panel but I would have to see exactly how much.

what are your plans for a screen? that is going to be a trick because you will need something to control the DVD menus and get to settings of the dvd player over IR there is no IR receiver on the dvd changer. there is on the REV head unit and one on the oem flip down screen that is what that black trim is on the pic of the screen that i have.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

It looks like the most accessible spot for the changer will be the spot right where the obd connector is and should be roomy enough for me not to kick it by accident. As for the screen unit I had a couple of thoughts .1. Build a fixed bracket and attach it to the the back floor console like the one that's in the dodge charger rear DVD setup, 2. Screw it to the ceiling like most minivans, I have a sunroof and there is a metal pan the width of the sunroof that is used for support ( not for drainage) that's probably the easiest way, the negative is what ever kids are back their will be having to look almost straight up, so this option most likely will be out. 3. Their seems to be about 1.5 inches of foam behind the backrest of my seat with sheet metal behind it. This would seem to be the nicest option though it would require much more custom work which I would rather practice on a used seat from the junkyard or something. Would have to move all the electronics and Ir unit but that shouldn't be difficult. I need to have a solid set plan and everything wired up in my house first to my extra stock oem radio to make sure everything works before I invest more money into the remote and the Ir headsets ( unless i see a really good deal on eBay)

To be honest this is now seeming to be a little bit bigger project than I initially thought lol

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Offroad_RN wrote:
It looks like the most accessible spot for the changer will be the spot right where the obd connector is and should be roomy enough for me not to kick it by accident. As for the screen unit I had a couple of thoughts .1. Build a fixed bracket and attach it to the the back floor console like the one that's in the dodge charger rear DVD setup, 2. Screw it to the ceiling like most minivans, I have a sunroof and there is a metal pan the width of the sunroof that is used for support ( not for drainage) that's probably the easiest way, the negative is what ever kids are back their will be having to look almost straight up, so this option most likely will be out. 3. Their seems to be about 1.5 inches of foam behind the backrest of my seat with sheet metal behind it. This would seem to be the nicest option though it would require much more custom work which I would rather practice on a used seat from the junkyard or something. Would have to move all the electronics and Ir unit but that shouldn't be difficult. I need to have a solid set plan and everything wired up in my house first to my extra stock oem radio to make sure everything works before I invest more money into the remote and the Ir headsets ( unless i see a really good deal on eBay)

To be honest this is now seeming to be a little bit bigger project than I initially thought lol

are you doing any kind of screen up front? what seats do you have? do you have limited style seats or hight back sport seats because if you have limited style seats you could get a LCD that is built into the headrest with IR. you may have some problems
with getting the system to work in your house since the oem system looks for the pci bus from the BCM the way that i understand it

Quote:

oh tell me about it before i started this project i did a ton of research on the OEM system

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:50 am 
LOST Newbie

I don't plan on adding any screens up front, just the rear ( I have a total of 2 screen unit's from a 2005 town and country). I have the high back seats in my renny, I intermittently look for leather heated seats with the removable headrest but no luck yet. As far as wiring it up in my house without being connected to the BCM, I guess I'll have to give it a try and see what happens. Cant wait to see your setup your setup will most likely be done way before mine's. I plan on tackling this project during the spring.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

i have had my DVD screen for a few months now and i have just now gotten to test it out i browed a friends bench power supply and hooked up some dvd players to it.

now i just need to get around to mounting it in the jeep.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:07 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

cool, can't wait to see how you mount it in the Jeep.

1977- Jeep CJ-5

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:37 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

picked me up a different DVD changer from a 05-07 town and country

with this one i wont have to trim the bezel at all unlike the one on the Pacifica