It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: door speaker question?
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:58 pm 
LOST Member

ive replaced all 4 door speakers in my kj my question is if was to get a 4ch amp and diconnect the factory wires to each of the 4 door speakers and run wires to the amp will the front dash tweets still play off the head unit with all the other factory wires disconnected? if this makes sense ...thanks for any info

Post subject: Re: door speaker question?
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It depends on what kind of factory system you have. Does your KJ have the "premium" Infinity system?

Dan

Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:09 pm 
LOST Member

has regular stock stereo well did not the infinity

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:05 pm 
LOST Addict

In theory, yes. Depends entirely on how you get your signal to the amp.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The front channels will have a crossover (splits the high and low frequencies) that are both driven by the head unit. In the Infinity system, all the channels are fed to the front doors and then the amps there feed to the 3 pairs of speakers. If the standard model has the crossover in the front speaker (or near it), it's likely fed by the same signal from the head unit, but I don't have a wiring schematic of the standard model to tell.

Dan

Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:15 am 
LOST Addict

I have the RB1 nav radio and I think the infinity system. Does any one know if I can buy an after market speaker like infinity and keep the amps in the front doors to drive the new speakers?

I'm thinking this speaker
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1086032SI/ ... tml?tp=105

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:10 am 
LOST Addict

I think th efactory Infinity speakers run a different impedence than the normal 4ohms most car stereos run.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:53 am 
LOST Addict

that is correct the Chrysler infinity speakers according to Crutchfield are 2 ohm. I did find some speakers by JBL that are 2 ohm and some Infinity that are 2.7 ohm. those might work. there was a post here some time ago about using an aftermarket speaker with the built in amps. I can't locate it now. they person said that it worked but the amp would not attach to the new speaker it had to be put in the bottom of the door and secured. wish I could find that.

Crutchfield also has an article on the site about re using the amps in the door but if you call them about matching that up they tell you you can't and to toss that and get an alpine amp with speaker level inputs.

not sure what to do I might just try to use the amps with a JBL speaker. my front door speakers are needing replaced and I don't want to buy a complete system now. I did see an Alpine cd head unit with bluetooth that I could use to stream pandora or music from my phone with. it had HD radio too but then I would be giving up the NAV and cd changer. I could use my phone for nav

I might just give a set of speakers a shot first what do I have to loose

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:57 am 
LOST Addict

In all honesty, a good HU and decent speakers will give you all the sound you will need. Unless you are into loud music, an aftermarket HU will provide plenty of sound for you. I have a big system and most of the time, it never gets used. There are just those times i really want some loud music on the road and at 700wrms, it will do just that.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:21 am 
LOST Addict

I like to listen at normal to somewhat higher volumes at times. I don't listen to rap or R&B so super strong bass is not required. I mostly listen to rock, classic rock, country, oldies and other adult contemporary music. I so far have no issues with the factory but the speakers. blue tooth streaming is tempting option with the Alpine but I'd have to give up the built in nav and the cd changer. I do use the nav but could use my android phone to do it and i don't use the cd changer so much mostly i use my Sirius radio via direct fm.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I cannot say for sure that the "premium" Infinity sound system speakers are 2ohm although everything points that way including a recent chat with Crutchfield and those folks usually know their stuff. I can say the "amps" in the front doors are not "part of" the speakers rather they are screwed to the speaker frame and connected to the speaker by the normal 2 wires. Beats me why we cannot simply buy replacement speakers with the appropriate frame attachement point for the amps but that is apparently not possible.

I see no reason why one could not fabricate a bracket to mount the amps to the door panel adjacent to where the speakers mount and extend the 2 speaker wires to an appropriate length to mount to new speakers. Crutchield indicated that would probably work but had no advice on how or where to mount the amps which is no surprise. They did recommend the Infinity Reference 6032si speakers which would fit both front and rear. Unfortunately those speakers just dropped off the Crutchfield inventory but they are available, in fact I just ordered 2 pairs via Amazon. Hopefully they will work ok.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi Mikey

I installed Infinity 6502ix speakers in my Jeep yesterday. I have the same setup as you . I unscrewed the amps from the speakers, extended the wires and connected the amps to the new speakers. I just put a scrap of yoga mat in the bottom of the door to stop the amps from rattling and dropped them in. I'm super happy with the result. Sound is amazing with great highs and good bass. I only did the front door speakers.

OME springs and shocks
GDE Hot tune and Trans. tune

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The 6502ix speakers are rated at 3ohms which is slightly different from the 2ohm rating to the OEM premium speakers and the 6032si speakers I ordered but the 6502ix ones apparently can handle a bit more peak power. I'll probably, I hope, be a bit more creative on remounting the amps but I'm delighted to hear that this setup works.

canlib - can you tell if the dash tweeters are working? They should be with the amps connected as you describe the crossovers to the dash tweeters should be functional.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:30 pm 
LOST Addict

canlib that is splendid news. thanks for posting that. pretty much what I was hoping to hear.
I will have to add this to my to do list of things for the jeep. now I think the focus is going to be on getting my ome springs and shocks installed.

papainigo I would like to see how your mounting of the amp plays out. please post back about that when you do it

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

I am away from home right now, but I will check the tweeters when I'm back. The over all sound was so much better that I really don't care! 8) I'll stay tuned for better amp mounting info...my method was quick and dirty...

OME springs and shocks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:54 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

When you did your install which wires from the amp did you hook to the + and - terminals on the replacement Infinity speakers? This matters to me as I am also replacing the rear speakers and the FSM wiring diagram is clear as the what "color" OEM wires go to the + and - terminals for the rear door speakers. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for the front door speakers. For them the FSM wiring diagram shows + and - wires going into what is labled "X front door speaker" but what is labled as the speaker is clearly the amp. There is nothing that tells me which of the 2 wires from the amp to the speaker is + or -.

On the right side front door amp the 2 wires from the amp to the speaker are red and black which I would normally guess would be + and - respectively. BUT being the picky type I used the 1.5v battery method to check speaker wire polarity (Google "car speaker polarity test" to see what I mean) and that test indicates the red is - and the black is +. That seemed a bit odd so I tried running a continuity test from where the + and - wires pin into the amp but that was no help as something inside the amp causes continuty to go both ways (don't ask me but my electrical expert nephew confirms this is normal).

So thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

I didn't know enough to consider all the options so I went with Red + and Black - and it works!

Still not sure about the dash tweeters working or not. Lots of high freq. sound but not sure where it is coming from.

Love the new speakers.

OME springs and shocks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:12 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just posted notes on my full (front and back) replacement of speakers on the Premium sound system with the "built in" amps at viewtopic.php?f=45&t=73768