It is currently Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best HU $200-$300
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:55 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Title pretty much says it all, i'm looking for the best head unit for between two and three hundred dollars. I hear a lot of good things about Alpine, but i've seen some of their HUs that are like $400 and the faceplates aren't even motorized, they just kinda flop down, kinda cheesy for four bills. I'm hoping their new '06 stuff is a touch better, but i haven't had the time yet to go scope it out. Thanks for any help fellas.

-Savage-

Silver 2002 Grand Cherokee Overland (Not running as of 12/30/2014. Suspect dropped valve seat)

White 2003 Liberty Limited (RIP)

L.O.S.T. #: DV053827

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:11 pm 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

Whatever you do, order from crutchfield. They give you all the wiring harnesses and facplate adapters for free which would run you at least $80 at one of the big boxes. They also give you vehicle specific install instructions. I can't say enough good things about them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yeah, i ordered from crutchfield and i do LOVE their service, and right now i've got a set of 6.5" polk components in front, and a set of 6.5" polk 2-ways in the rear. All powered by a sony CDX-M8815X. Here's the problem, although i like the double sided controls and the nice big screen etc, etc, i would kind of like a volume knob on the front so i didn't have to get the remote every time or flip down the face. I would also like a mute feature. Not to mention the iPod ready capability of the Alpine units. But like i said, the two headunits that are in my price range, one is newer CDA-9856, and one is older, but has a motorized faceplate and multi-color display CDA-9851. So now i'm kinda torn between the two. I've had the Sony since Christmas, and i doubt i can still exchange it, but i'm gonna get on the phone with crutchfield in a couple minutes. Let me know what you guys think...thanks

Silver 2002 Grand Cherokee Overland (Not running as of 12/30/2014. Suspect dropped valve seat)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:33 pm 
LOST Addict

I've ordered from crutchfield 3 times now (different decks / speakers for different cars). Great prices, great service, they include all the dash kits, wiring kits, and instructions. PM me for the $20 off referral coupon (you get $20 if you're a new customer and spend over $300, I get $20 for referring you, it's a win-win!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks, but i'm a repeat customer, and will just be exchangin one HU for the other

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

OK, called crutcfiled, and talked to them about exchanging the HU. They said "sure, just send it back with everything it came with, i assume you'll be keeping the harness adapter, antenna adapter and the faceplate adapter." They're only going to charge me a 10% restocking fee to do the swap, so basically i'm paying $22.99 for a brang new CDA-9851. Should be here some time late next week. YAY!!!!

Oh, and as a side note, took out the sony unit, and plugged the fatory one back in (wasn't gonna drive around w/o tunes) and the factory unit actually sounds BETTER!!! Honestly, i'm really disappointed in the sony unit. But maybe i just had it adjusted improperly (even though i went through all the settings and tweked them all to my preference). Anyone have an Alpine unit that they installed aftermarket??? Any opinions???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:25 pm 
LOST Member

Sorry, I've never been an Alpine fan . . . like you mentioned earlier . . . they've NEVER had enought Bang for the Buck . . . 4 bills outta get you some serious features and be sweet looking . . . I'm more of a Pioneer guy myself, but really like the Panasonics for those on a tighter budget and want nice features (just don't look as kewl).

I know, not much help . . .but for whoever else may read the thread . . .

Crutchfield is great . . . definitely a good place to get your Head Unit (mainly due to the included accessories and instructions) and sometimes they have really good specials on speakers but for Amplifiers . . . you're much better off shopping the internet, you can save some serious cash there.

-If it Jams -- Force it! If it breaks, it needed replacing anyways!
-There's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:24 pm 
LOST Member

yea Alpine just does not feel right to me either....I am leaning toward a pioneer since I am getting a new headunit and want to spend some $$ on a quality headunit. check out DEH-p960MP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

one of the main reasons that i went with the 9851 is that is has a multi-position motorized faceplate, and it just seems like the most bang for the buck alpine HU

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I am a huge Alpine fan, but some of the newer stuff just doesn't compare to their older stuff. I mean they sell it at Best Buy now. The high end stuff is still really good though. Take a peek at my install on the link in my sig, I have a lot of Alpine and I like it alot, I compete in MECA sound quality competitions with it.

Volant Air Intake
http://www.carstereo.com/installs/photo ... eryid=1290

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/538614/1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

So what does that mean for the 9851? Should i look for something better and if so, how much i'm i gonna have to spend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

That seems like a nice HU. It has a ton of features. It was that glidetouch thing the had that was hard to use.

Volant Air Intake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Can i see a picture of your door speakers with the panels on, it looks like you spaced out some 6.5s so that they would be flush, or are those just down-sizing brackets for the 6.75" hole???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

They are 7 inch speakers, but I had 6.5's before. I made spacer rings out of 3/4 mdf to compensate for tha factory hole being too big and for magnet clearance. Cruchfield has adapters for the librety though. I did have to trim the lip on the door panel because the speaker is not perfectly centered to the grill on the door. I think thinner mdf would have been ok too.

Volant Air Intake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:26 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

OK, yea, i have the crutchfield adapters and they work out well. Do you think there's any way to mount the speakers directly to the door panel, so that i can cut out the stock speaker grill and use the one supplied with the speakers (Polk DB6500s Front, and Polk DB650s Rear)??? Would that be a good idea or would it just vibrate the door panels to much and make them resonate? And ONE more question....since you seem to be pretty involved over at that car audio forum and seem to be pretty knowledeable, what do you think of the Polk DB series speakers? I know that their SR6500s got RAVE reviews, but that doesn't necesarily mean that all their stuff is good...

Thanks for all your help
-Savage-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:01 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I wouldnt mount the speakers directly to the panels. you are right, the panels would resonate. If you fabricated some rings that went from the opening in the door all the way to the panel so they mounted solid that would work. I didn't attemp it as I wanted to maintain the stock look for now. I may look into that as well now that we are taling about it. I would have to do something custom as my speakers dont have grills. My buddy had those same speakers in his blazer and he competed with me in MECA for sound quality. He did pretty well, he only changed them because he went to Team Maxxsonics who owns MB Quart. One of the best thing you can do to improve sound quality is sound deadener. Hushmat is what I used, but there are many available. I put some on the inside of the pocket on the door panel, the inside of the outer door skin, and the inner door frame around the speaker. WOW what a difference. It helps with road noise as well. It is so easy to use, just peel off the backing and stick it on.

Volant Air Intake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I may have to just save up my entire summer salary to get the new Polk SR6500, those things are SWEET!!!! :shock: :D :shock: ME WANTY!!!!! and not TOO bad for $750.00 a pair. Can't wait to get the new HU in, hopefully it will sound much better than the Sony did, and at least better than the factory unit. It's nice to have someone on here who seems to know their stuff when it comes to audio gear. Look forward to racking your brain more often :lol:

Thanks again,
-Savage-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I think you will notice a huge difference with the new HU. I will help whenever I can, after all thats what these forums are all about.

Volant Air Intake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:49 pm 
I live here
I live here

I like to use this in my KJ:

Nothing like a portable 8-track player to rock on down the trail.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:54 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

SQ,
I hope so, the Sony had plenty of power, and would get nice and loud, didn't really push it much past half volume, but it was just lacking in the signal clarity area, not to mention, whenever i would slow down, as soon as i would hit about 5MPH or below, the left tweeter would start to buzz, and not stop until i was moving again, really wierd stuff...but whatever. I know i won't be able to get too great of a sound out of the truck yet since i'm still using the stock wiring. Which reminds me, you must have put in aftermarket wiring to handle the new speakers and the amps, how did you run the new speaker cables out to the doors??? Those plugs that are between the door and the body seem like quite an impass. Also, i'd like to see some pics of the sound deadening material that you installed if you have them, if not, don't rip apart your truck just to get some pics. Thanks for the help.