It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CB radio recommendations
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:02 pm 
LOST Addict

I will be getting a CB radio soon for the KK. The goal is to provide a measure of safety when camping/working on forest roads in the mountains, where cell reception is spotty at best. Here's the setup I was thinking of getting:
Cobra 18WXSTII CB with weather band that fits into the dash next to an aftermarket stereo: http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-18WXSTII-Mobile-Radio-Watch/dp/B00005N5WU/
Antenna mount for the tail light area: http://www.amazon.com/FireStik-MK-204R-Adjustable-Antenna-Mini-Kit/dp/B000X39TQ0/
3 foot Firestik antenna with spring and quick disconnect: http://www.amazon.com/FIRESTICK-II-TUNABLE-TIP-BLACK/dp/B000WYYP14/

Thoughts on this setup? Is a 4 foot antenna that much better at sending/receiving than a 3 foot? Is it best to mount the antenna on the driver's side or passenger's side rear corner? Thanks for the feedback,
--LFH

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

Post subject: Re: CB radio recommendations
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

That's pretty much my set up. With antennas, generally the higher above the roof line the better the reception. I do hit a lot of trees with my 4' though. Without the spring I would have lost it by now. :2cents:
The reason mine is mounted on the passenger side is to make it easier to run the coax. I don't think the cable included in that kit would run all the way to the dash if mounted on the drivers side.

If you try for the in-dash set up shoot me a PM. There's some modifications that need to be made to the aftermarket brackets and hardware to get it too fit. Nothing crazy, but it took me a little while to figure out what I needed to do to make it work.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:20 pm 
LOST Junkie

I run the Cobra 75WX St 40 channel CB. With a 4' Firestik. It seems to work just fine. As said ealier the longer the antenna the further the transmission and recieving. However, the more stuff you'll hit. Make sure you get a spring and an SWR meter.
I like the Cobra 75 because all the controls are on the microphone and the actual unit can be hidden under the seat, or dash, or center console.
There is a good write up at this link http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/kk-cb-install-write-up-1354307/. I followed it almost exactly, except different paint scheme on the mounting bracket. It works good.

Keep in mind, no matter how long you make your antenna you'll only be able to clearly send out to about 7 maybe 9 miles max (that's on flat open plains). Here is a link to a site that gives antenna length size to broadcast distance, http://www.rightchannelradios.com/range-approximations-cb-antennas. There will be many times when there simply isn't anybody in the area to respond. I've tested it out in the boondocks and usually get nothing. But it is a good vehicle to vehicle communication tool. So don't depend on it to save you, it's just a nice little insurance.

Texans, come join us at Lone Star LOST!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/253493118163702?ref=bookmark&_rdr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:26 pm 
LOST Addict

JeepNCrowd, thanks for the informative post with the links to the how-to. After looking more closely at the Cobra 75, I am really impressed by the reviews I read online, mostly from Jeepers like us. I like the compact, easy to hide design. It would stink to have someone break into my Jeep to steal the radio, and this has happened where I live. If there is nothing to see inside the vehicle, there is less temptation relative to the risk for a potential thief.

Ok, now that I've pretty much decided I like the Cobra 75 best, the next question is what length of Firestik antenna to go with. I like looks of the 3 foot antenna on the KK, and there is less of a possibility of hitting trees and other obstacles. I'll be getting a quick disconnect and a spring, so that when it's parked on the street there will be nothing to steal or mess with.

I am curious about the range people have gotten out of a 3 foot Firestik vs. the 4 foot antenna. If you have one, could you reply with your real-world range and recommendations? Thanks!

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:49 pm 
LOST Member

I've run a plethora of CB's and antennas through he years on various 4x4s. In the normal group of vehicles on a trail they are all the same. I am usually only with 1 or 2 others so distance is not a problem. It's really comes down to the bells and whistles and if you will use them. Presently I have the Cobra 75 in my Land Cruiser and a fancy high dollar Cobra in the Liberty. The fancy one has a build in SWR meter which is nice to calibrate the actual channel that is being used on the trail. The Cobra 75 is nice because it doesnt have to be taken out when parked in a sketchy area. Just gets thrown under seat.
As for antennas I have a 4' Wilson on the back of LC and a 3' on roof rack of Liberty. For the liberty I only put it up when heading off on vacation. A spring is a must otherwise you will not be going through a drive-thru without breaking it. It's still annoying to clang that thing around with everyone looking at you like a dumba$$ if you forget to take it off.

96 Ford F350 4x4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:41 pm 
LOST Junkie

For 3' it should be 2-4 miles, for 4' it should be 4-6. Of course this will vary depending on surroundings and how high it actually sticks above the roof. I have never actually tested the range, I have no idea how far away it actually goes.
Here are some photos of mine mounted with a 4' so you can get an idea. I have the spring and the quick disco. That spring has saved me a few times, lol. Now because it is mounted lower its only about as high as a 3' on the roof if not shorter.

Texans, come join us at Lone Star LOST!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/253493118163702?ref=bookmark&_rdr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:10 am 
LOST Newbie

JeepNCrowd wrote:
I run the Cobra 75WX St 40 channel CB. With a 4' Firestik. It seems to work just fine. As said ealier the longer the antenna the further the transmission and recieving. However, the more stuff you'll hit. Make sure you get a spring and an SWR meter.
I like the Cobra 75 because all the controls are on the microphone and the actual unit can be hidden under the seat, or dash, or center console.
There is a good write up at this link http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/kk-cb-install-write-up-1354307/. I followed it almost exactly, except different paint scheme on the mounting bracket. It works good.

Keep in mind, no matter how long you make your antenna you'll only be able to clearly send out to about 7 maybe 9 miles max (that's on flat open plains). Here is a link to a site that gives antenna length size to broadcast distance, http://www.rightchannelradios.com/range-approximations-cb-antennas. There will be many times when there simply isn't anybody in the area to respond. I've tested it out in the boondocks and usually get nothing. But it is a good vehicle to vehicle communication tool. So don't depend on it to save you, it's just a nice little insurance.

woow its such a nice info...thanks to share, :BINGO:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:08 pm 
LOST Member

Buy a ham radio if you want long distance coverage.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:04 am 
LOST Newbie

^^ What he said :D