It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How To Relocate Factory Horn
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

When I go offroading I usually encounter a waterhole the goes past my horn. The horn gets waterlogged and has a muffled sound till I pour the water out and the horn dries out. I found a way to mount the horn where it will be dry unless you go in water over the Jeep hood. IT REQUIRES NO DRILLING! I will say this, my plastic wheel well covers are removed. So you would probably have to remove your fender and plastic wheel well cover to do this. Did not think about that till just now. Hope this helps some of you all.

Step 1:
Get 13mm socket and socket wrench to undo the horn from the Jeep. Disconnect the horn from the wiring harness by sliding red tab up, push down on black piece and pull the harness away from the horn.

Step 2:
Feed wiring harness through hole and try placing it near this hole where the horn will be mounted.

Bend the tab on the horn back so the horn will mount better.

Use a 1/4 bolt with 2 washers and a nut to mount the horn. Bolt will have a 13mm head.

Place the horn over this hole near the driver headlight and behind the fuse box, bolt it up and tighten. It is the second hole near the driver fender in the picture below. The bolt will come through the hole which the nut and other washer will go on the underside in the wheel well area.

Step 4:
Connect wiring harness back up with the horn. Put up tools and then test to see if the horn works. If it beeps you're good to go. Should look like this when done.

Post subject: Re: How To Relocate Factory Horn
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:00 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

For 05-07s
before that both horns were up near the battery

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:05 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well I had no idea....
Guess this works for 05-07

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:06 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Mine was super low and would always get some water in it and would have issues.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Anyone relocated the horn on a crd? The hole used above has a bracket in it that looks to have a small computer module attached in the crd. Not sure if there's room for the horn.

Dan

Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:46 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

dgeist wrote:
Anyone relocated the horn on a crd? The hole used above has a bracket in it that looks to have a small computer module attached in the crd. Not sure if there's room for the horn.

Dan

Mine is exposed from cutting wheel liner but my tires clear it fine. My ARB bumper protects it so I haven't moved it yet, but if water ruins the horn I would move the replacement. Same goes for washer bottle, no reason to move it at all for clearance.

05 CRD Sport Dark Kahki

RRO: Adventure Rack/Rails ** MOPAR: Skids/Renny Flares & 255/75r17 (32.1) BFG M/T on JK wheels ** ARB: Bumper/IPF lights/790/948/shocks ** GDE: TCM/Hot Tune ** ROCKLIZARD: Super Sliders/Komodo Bumper

My Build Thread
US Army Infantry

Last edited by arengant on Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:46 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Lots of puddles never interfered with the horn, but I crossed about a 12" deep stream a couple weeks ago by a friend's cabin (the sign said no track vehicles on bridge, not that wheeled vehicles couldn't use the ford...) and the horn(s) don't sound the same. I took them off yesterday and rinsed the crud out with some warm water and dried well. The sound is the same (and they don't look to be serviceable). If I get a new one, I'll be looking to use an alternate location.

Dan

Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

dgeist wrote:
[...](the sign said no track vehicles on bridge, not that wheeled vehicles couldn't use the ford...) and the horn(s) don't sound the same. [...]Dan
Haha! Thats great.

Yeah mine are totally messed up. I've been meaning to replace them and install a better horn. I had a nice loud one mounted behind the grill, but alas, it got flooded too. New Location for me I guess.

4.10s sitting in a box - 3

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ