It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Door Speakers
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

Both of my front door speakers are pretty much done for. I get the bass rattle from the speakers, even when I don't have the volume up very high and have the bass turned down. Looking at replacing them, but don't know what the best option is. According to Crutchfield, nobody really makes aftermarket speakers with the same impedance of the factory ones. I know I can switch out all four door speakers and probably not tell a difference in the available volume, but price is a big consideration also. Mopar Parts America has the standard speakers for about 20 bucks a pop, and to tell the truth, I was pretty satisfied with the performance of the factory system until the speakers went out. I have the factory six disc changer head unit. What do you guys think? Will the factory speakers only last for six or so years? Would I get better value/ longevity out of reasonably priced aftermarket speakers? Also, I know there are two different types of factory door speakers. Is there a way to tell if I have the standard or premium speakers without taking the door apart? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Door Speakers
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:17 am 
LOST Newbie

What did crutchfield say the impendence of the stock speakers are? I just had the speakers out of the door when I was replacing the window regulator, didnt bother to look and the speakers to check the impendence, I assumed they were 4 ohm's. Im not sure how you can tell if you have the speakers have the bulit in amp with them or not, but to pull the door panel and speaker to check is pretty easy. From my experience with the chysley 6.75 inch speakers they sound pretty muddy when compared to a decent aftermarket speaker but those cheap booty paper speakers seem to have more bass, if they trully are 2ohm's maybe that would help explain it

Future mods; Lift kit, tires

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:57 pm 
LOST Addict

I am looking for the same. mine have started buzzing in the bass like that since summer and are not getting better. I have the NAV radio and wheel controls I really dont want to give up as long as they work. I called Crutchfield too and they told me I have an amp on each speaker and they are not compatable with aftermarket speakers, That I should replace all 4 speakers and drive them with a four channel amp (Alpine $149.99) http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500MRPF300 ... l?tp=35782

then I found this page that sort of says to buy infinity of JBL because they are 2ohlm and that if I had the amp you can extend the wire and power your new speaker with it.

http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/2002-2 ... ryspeakers

I wonder if anyone has done that and how well did it work? it seems that way would save me $$ on the amp since there is enough power now. Also would save me a lot of wireing work that I don't care to do now that I am not an early 20 something anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:03 am 
LOST Addict

I ran hi end component speakers with the factory CD player for about 6 months while I switched headunits with no issues. I did the same in 2 dodges as well. It is a better sound but you still do not get the quality you need until you switch HU's to a higher anc cleaner sounding deck.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:57 pm 
LOST Addict

I don't want to give up the nav radio just yet. I just want good speakers again

So if I have the nav radio I'm told I automatically have the amps on the speakers is that true.

And if so then is getting a few sets of JBL in the doors going to do what I want